Notices
ECU Flash

Need help testing new mobile logger.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help testing new mobile logger.

Hello all,

I have been having trouble finding devices that will recognize the tactrix cable. So I created a test app that will find out. If you have a device with Windows Mobile or Pocket PC and the device has an onboard USB port, then you can test with the tactrix cable. As soon as I can find out which devices will run this, I can get the mobile logger out sooner.

Wouldn't it be cool to log on your small mobile device versus a bulky laptop? But I need the community's help!

Supported devices are WinCE 4.2 and later, which include:

WinCE 4.2
PocketPC 2003
Windows Mobile PocketPC 5.0
WindowsCE 5.0

So I have put a small test app up for download at:

http://files-upload.com/124734/testsetup.CAB.html

The app is NOT a logger, it is just a testing tool.

To install the test app, simply connect your device via activesync to your pc. In the activesync window, hit explore or browse and you will be presented with an Explorer window. From here go into "My Device" and copy this file into some folder. Once the copy is complete, go to the mobile device and browse to that file and run it. It will install the test app and put a shortcut in the startmenu.

You will also need the .NET compact framework 2.0 and the FTDI driver for your device (most cases ARM).

You may want to try getting the tactrix cable recognized first as this app is useless without that.

Once you have it up and running, use the following buttons:

1. "Init". This will enumerate the devices and fill the dropdown
2. Choose the device in the combo. If it is not there...problem
3. Hit "Open". This will init at the Evo baudrate and send the 5 baud + extra init crap
4. Pick or type some data to send into the "Send..." box. The response will show in the listbox.
5. Close

If you can, try this out and let me know which devices will or will not work. Thanks in advance!!

Jeremy
Old Mar 10, 2007, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Keep me updated, you can use Aktivematrix to host the final app and as a support forum.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Appreciate it Jack. Hopefully we can get this up and running...
Old Mar 10, 2007, 05:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Unfortunately I don't have anything that can run a current version of Windows CE or windows mobile.. Otherwise I probably would have ported Mitsulogger over earlier.. But I definitely can contribute to the effort however possible.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

There is actually a double DIN carputer that runs WinCE that has a USB host I belive. But it is over 1000 US dollars so I'm not going to buy it. For that price I could build a full in-dash Windows PC. When I remember the link I will post it here.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

The following do NOT work:

I-mate Jam Pocket PC Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition v4.21.1088 (build
15045.2.6.0) Intel (R) PXA272 (ARM)

Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device PPC-6700
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm actually not surprised, the smartphones are WAY to minimal for some of this stuff to work, from the research I had done, they didn't possess full USB Host.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

In theory they should be fine. Not the most high performance logging platform, but adequate. Just that damn 2 dollar controller chip that they leave out...

Logging itself is not that much of a resource hog, basically send, receive, write to file, repeat. But when you add all kinds of UI stuff, I could see it being slow.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't find any mobile devices at work that would work, and we have dozens.

I am looking into the Bluetooth obdII connectors.. now that would be cool, lots of phones are bluetooth enabled. The bluetooth chipsets are still a little too pricey though. Might be able to make a bluetooth cable for $100, anybody seen any around?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Hamish,

Can you list those devices? I know that there are some out there that do work (according to the FTDI driver readme).
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evo4mad
I couldn't find any mobile devices at work that would work, and we have dozens.

I am looking into the Bluetooth obdII connectors.. now that would be cool, lots of phones are bluetooth enabled. The bluetooth chipsets are still a little too pricey though. Might be able to make a bluetooth cable for $100, anybody seen any around?
try sparkfun.com I have seen they have quite a few bluetooth things you can play with. Its something I though was cool enough to add to my UTEC a few years back when I was logging with it alot and I had gotten a laptop with bluetooth.

the weird baud rates we're dealing with throws a monkeywrench into some of the bluetooth ideas though.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by galvitron
In theory they should be fine. Not the most high performance logging platform, but adequate. Just that damn 2 dollar controller chip that they leave out...

Logging itself is not that much of a resource hog, basically send, receive, write to file, repeat. But when you add all kinds of UI stuff, I could see it being slow.

I was actually referring to the USB support. I have actually gotten several early loggers to work very well with a serial port, even on some very early windows CE Devices.

If you do a search for UTEC Dashboard, you'll see an earlier thread which makes mention of it for PocketPC, It actually worked really well, but was never released to the public because of the hoops I had to jump through just to get it to format properly on my specific PDA (an HP Jornada that looked like a little laptop computer) meant I would have had a headache supporting it on other platforms.

I'm fairly certain the early mitsulogger code would port over to PocketPC very easily, except I use the MS Scripting control for the formula evaluations which I know isn't available or isnt really supported on windows CE.

But the .NET 2.0 compact framework does run my app, since I'm not making any really weird dependencies on components not found in most windows versions.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Dell axim 50v which I would love to use for something like this but it does not have USB. Not sure how it could ever be used to log except maybe some type of CF adapter card or something.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I've got a Dell axim 50v which I would love to use for something like this but it does not have USB. Not sure how it could ever be used to log except maybe some type of CF adapter card or something.
a CF to serial adapter.. I have one from Socket that I used for logging my UTEC, the big problem is how well it would handle the weird baud rate used by the ECU's MUT protocol, however you can easily make an interface that works with RS232 if you don't need reflashing capabilities. You have to look for a "Jeff Interface cable" or sites referring to it. Its basically a line level converter which functions similarly to the Tactrix cable for logging.

In fact, when I found that OBD-II logger, I was intentionally searching for apps that supported the "Jeff OBD-II cable" as I was fairly certain it would work with the Tactrix cable.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

I should be able to get my hands on a HTC Athena in a week or two. Will see if that works.

Quick Reply: Need help testing new mobile logger.