Notices
ECU Flash

Evo anti-lag ECU disassembly

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune
standalone ECUs use the software to retard ignition timing(-10 to -15*) and add 10-15% fuel on liftoff....of course, this is user editable.

The factory Mitsubishi Evolution uses actual hardware that is connected to the exhaust manifold, which includes a air pump. This is the "hardware" we reffer to when we speak of the factory anti-lag system.

If you look close, you can see the lines that run just under the valve cover along the head.....they bolt down into the exhaust manifold.

CJ
no, no, no, i understand how an als works, i worked for two different rally teams, i know of using DV air as your means of o2 for the mixture. i was asking how an actual air pump is used. i am picturing something like a secondary air pump but i dont see how that could be fast enough??? unless the "secondary air" is cvonstant.

that was more so a question emphasizing on the PUMP

but thanks for the tutorial well explained :thumbup

Last edited by matyb; May 7, 2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: retart spelling
Old May 7, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK.....well, i got a somewhat working anti-lag set-up going. I'm still working on it, but it's slowly getting there. -10 * ignition timing and lots of fuel on liftoff..... If there was a way to lengthen the injector over-run cut-off delay....this would be perfect. It pops and bangs and shoots some nice flames and spools the turbo, but there is no way to keep it going unless you get back on the throttle again, then lift.

I'm still working on it.

CJ
Nice dude
Old May 7, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there a way we can use the JDM and UK anti-lag areas of the ROM and maybe migrate those into other ROMs? If so, and we could figure out how to use them.....we could alter ignition timing and fuel completly seperate from the main fuel and ignition tables....this would enable control over injector over-run, and ignition retard...along with on-off settings. That would be a really cool feature to work on if it were possible.

I will pitch the idea if you guys think you would use it. ( i know i would).

CJ
Old May 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Some more 2 read!

How it works, danger and goodies...
Take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Lag_System
http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Steam...o-Lag_20System
http://www.autronic.com/technical_da...es/antilag.pdf
Cheers.
Old May 8, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

i'm fully aware of what a ALS system is, and it's advantages, and disadvantages..... but this would be a good read for anybody wanting to learn more.

What i am attempting to do is actually very mild. It has the ability to spool the turbo, but is using as little ignition retard as possible. Currently, it's not very effective at all unless we can adapt the factory antilag parameters to a ECU that is running a USDM engine with no ALS hardware.

Thanks for posting that up for them!

CJ
Old May 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds great but I think it might need a low level reprograming of the ECU. May be trying to combine TPS, Accel desenrichment with ignition map to induce retard when throttle is quickly dropped off. I do not think you will be able to do a lot more with stock ECU but it's a very interresting subject. Anyone with stock ECU internal diagram, addresses, specs and algoritms will be very appreciated :-)
Old May 8, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigman
Sounds great but I think it might need a low level reprograming of the ECU. May be trying to combine TPS, Accel desenrichment with ignition map to induce retard when throttle is quickly dropped off. I do not think you will be able to do a lot more with stock ECU but it's a very interresting subject. Anyone with stock ECU internal diagram, addresses, specs and algoritms will be very appreciated :-)

The UK and JDM ROMs already have all we need to implement a anti-lag set-up already. The USDM ROMs might have these features already, we might not have found it yet. The only difference is, we would need to alter these parameters to have a software ALS, with no hardware. It's done all the time with standalones and is effective if you can over-run the injectors and retard ignition timing negative 10-15*. Using the JDM and UK roms would allow us to do this, we will just have to be creative on how we can set it up.

CJ
Old May 8, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Some help from Bez and the guys would be needed though. I'm sure if there was enough interest, they would be willing to help.

CJ
Old May 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsbanks
I don't know if there is some link between this and those strange "anti-lag" fuel and timing tables that show in the ECUs. .
Closed loop indeed, while in 3rd between 2200rpm to 3000 rpm with foot on brake to apply slight load for about 50% I noticed my AFR would climb to 16:1. It wasn't until yesterday that I bothered adding the addresses to those enlean/enrich and timing maps to see what they are. And now I know.

I just rescaled the map to the load/rpm scale I changed for the main fuel/timing maps.

I have a strange suspision that these antilag maps are the cause of my low load knock.
Old May 10, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Closed loop indeed, while in 3rd between 2200rpm to 3000 rpm with foot on brake to apply slight load for about 50% I noticed my AFR would climb to 16:1. It wasn't until yesterday that I bothered adding the addresses to those enlean/enrich and timing maps to see what they are. And now I know.

I just rescaled the map to the load/rpm scale I changed for the main fuel/timing maps.

I have a strange suspision that these antilag maps are the cause of my low load knock.
did you happen to datalog this anamoly? Do you often log AFRs in the 16's at these same conditions(normal street part throttle drving)? What load column were you hitting when this happend?

Thanks.

CJ
Old May 10, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

did you happen to datalog this anamoly? Yeap

Do you often log AFRs in the 16's at these same conditions(normal street part throttle drving)? Honestly, never payed much attention because it's a very small window of conditions that it enters but it caught my eye and I narrowed it down to replicate in 3rd with light throttle and brake

What load column were you hitting when this happend? 60s%

Thanks. Welcome

CJ
I will edit this post with a shot of the log
Old May 11, 2007, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From emails from "gunzo" it seems that these maps lean out closed loop but the fuel trim eventually reverses the effect. I could understand if it left closed loop and went leaner on prolonged throttle, but why go leaner just for the closed loop control to correct it again. Makes no sense to me yet.
Old May 11, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
From emails from "gunzo" it seems that these maps lean out closed loop but the fuel trim eventually reverses the effect. I could understand if it left closed loop and went leaner on prolonged throttle, but why go leaner just for the closed loop control to correct it again. Makes no sense to me yet.
When it makes no sense to us then it probably makes sense to EPA - my guess it's for emissions
Old May 11, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

It went into the lean mode, jumped out back into stoich and I added a little throttle and it went back into lean mode again
Old May 11, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

One more thing - why doesn't JDM VIII have an address for adv/ret:

- <table name="Boost Enhancement Adv/Ret Map 1 (Anti-lag)" category="Timing" (no address)type="3D" level="1" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Load" address="57d6" type="X Axis" elements="19" scaling="Load" />
<table name="RPM" address="57a6" type="Y Axis" elements="20" scaling="RPM" />
</table>
- <table name="Boost Enhancement Adv/Ret Map 2 (Anti-lag)" category="Timing" (no address)type="3D" level="1" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Load" address="57d6" type="X Axis" elements="19" scaling="Load" />
<table name="RPM" address="57a6" type="Y Axis" elements="20" scaling="RPM" />

Also, BE table is 4000 - 7000 RPM (RPMStatLimit) for the JDM but mine is set to like 500 - 800 RPM (RPMStatLimit)

I'm sure the JDM has antilag plumbing but does it have a different turbo, even head?

Quick Reply: Evo anti-lag ECU disassembly