Notices
ECU Flash

HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who has a GM solenoid can you PLEASE tell me if this is normal -

I did a boost leak test today and I noticed that when I pressurize the system I am getting air coming out from "port B" on the solenoid. This is with the car turned off. My port B is not connected to anything and is venting to the atmosphere.

Has any one else noticed this?

I thought the solenoid was normally connected between port A and port C. Why is air coming out port B.

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dudical26
Anyone who has a GM solenoid can you PLEASE tell me if this is normal -

I did a boost leak test today and I noticed that when I pressurize the system I am getting air coming out from "port B" on the solenoid. This is with the car turned off. My port B is not connected to anything and is venting to the atmosphere.

Has any one else noticed this?

I thought the solenoid was normally connected between port A and port C. Why is air coming out port B.

Thanks
Isnt that the vent port, that bleeds the excess back into the system via the intake tube? I think it is if I can remember correctly. That is why it originally comes with a filter over it.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Oh nm I just read with the car turned of, I am not sure about that.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it is supposed to do this but I have not been able to get any feedback from anyone else who has this solenoid.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I don't think it is supposed to do this but I have not been able to get any feedback from anyone else who has this solenoid.
Ill test mines when i get a chance
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

This will work if we've followed your previous write-up with the custom pill right? This essentially is a bit better when logging and tuning?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OneillEvo
This will work if we've followed your previous write-up with the custom pill right? This essentially is a bit better when logging and tuning?
This mod has really nothing to do with logging. It is a different way of controlling boost. It allows you to have more direct control over what the wastegate sees (psi wise). It should also allow for a wider range of adjustability without the need for any pills. However, it may be a bit more difficult to set up then using the stock BCS with a modified pill.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

ohhh I get it now. Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Wow this post as been inactive for awhile anyways,
I was curious if there would be any difference if you lowered the offset from 100 to 80 and raised your BDEL +20 and raised the MWGDC as well? I still am trying to get rid of my overboosts from low WOT starts in higher gears without having to disable lean spool, I like the curve that I can get with the gm solenoid but it is really tricky to get eveything working in sync
ed
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by accident
Wow this post as been inactive for awhile anyways,
I was curious if there would be any difference if you lowered the offset from 100 to 80 and raised your BDEL +20 and raised the MWGDC as well? I still am trying to get rid of my overboosts from low WOT starts in higher gears without having to disable lean spool, I like the curve that I can get with the gm solenoid but it is really tricky to get eveything working in sync
ed
Try bringing your WGDC and BDEL down a bit at 2500-3000rpm. The TBEC can't react fast enough to squelch the overboost, it will bring it down after but to control the actual event you need to bring the WGDC down.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Try bringing your WGDC and BDEL down a bit at 2500-3000rpm. The TBEC can't react fast enough to squelch the overboost, it will bring it down after but to control the actual event you need to bring the WGDC down.
I have tried that but it seems to slow spool. I think the TBEC was lower though at that time also. Razorlab, I remember reading from a past post of yours that you could get it to spool faster then stock, how do you get it to spool fast and keep the overboosting under control?
ed
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Well, it's about balancing it. You don't have to crank the WGDC down, just bring it down until it doesn't overboost. You can also try only bringing WGDC down and keeping the TBEC up.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by accident
I have tried that but it seems to slow spool. I think the TBEC was lower though at that time also. Razorlab, I remember reading from a past post of yours that you could get it to spool faster then stock, how do you get it to spool fast and keep the overboosting under control?
ed
Yea the same happened to me, so I played with it til it spooled like I like it.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jumperalex
Mr. Evo IX: my GM tested out to 26ohm and my stock tested at 32.5ohm
Thanks!

Ok guys, couple more quick questions. I've got 2 options.

Option 1. I have an AEM 3 port BCS that was the solenoid from my Truboost EBC / Gauge. It has a 12ohm value, so when I add 2 10ohm 1W resistors to it I get a perfect 32ohm load. I was thinking about giving this a try like what you guys are doing with the GM BCS and I probably will try it no matter what. My only concern is when I was doing boost leak checking on my car a few months ago as long as the gauge was powered up I could hear it clicking away bleeding off pressure even though I was nowhere near my 20 psi test pressure, so I guess it's possible it "leaks" or maybe it was just doing what it's supposed to do.

Option 2. I ordered the #60 orfice from nj1266 and I could put my stock solenoid side pill back in and use the #60 turbo side pill and get boost control using the stock BCS system without cutting off the connector.

Questions.

1. Which of these methods do you think will provide the most rock solid boost with the stock turbo?

2. Will either of these methods control the mid RPM boost spikes? For example when you punch it at 4500rpms?

Quick Reply: HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid