Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also get the pigtail on ebay for about 9.00 dollars shipped here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-tu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Damn...I just located and bought a second solenoid for a dual setup. HMMM might need to change plans here

Milburn
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:40 PM

Good writeup. I might try this how many people tried this on their cars?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Plenty of people on NorcalEvo have tried it. I was impressed enough that I am driving up to San Fran to have my car tuned by Bryan @ GST (Razorlab) on July 7th.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slava
Good writeup. I might try this how many people tried this on their cars?
I have never tried it on the EVO, but I did use it with AEM on my civic(same solenoid) Works great. I will be wiring mines up tomorrow.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
This has been a common mod in the WRX world for quite a while. Good stuff
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Orderd this yesterday from RockAuto.com. Solenoid is $15, Pigtail is $15 now. None in stock, has to ship, will take up to 12 days to ship

Waiting on goodness control

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this in my WRX, it worked well but the boost did tend to oscillate a bit. Has any one experimented with how different pills affect the stability of boost with this setup?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I did this in my WRX, it worked well but the boost did tend to oscillate a bit. Has any one experimented with how different pills affect the stability of boost with this setup?
I just installed my GM solenoid I had left over from my AEM setup on my old car yesterday. Unfortunately I left the pigtail wired to the old car(Ordered another already) Temporarily I used some terminal connectors, the smallest ones I could find that fit into the harness portion of the solenoid. It did take less duty cycle than before as already mention, but I tried the settings razorlab posted in one of the previous links and could only get about 18psi with no pills. Now it has been adjusted and I am getting 21psi all the way to redline according to the gauge. The car does spool slightly faster, actually noticeable. I am going to put a pill before the turbo and see how that goes.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
Plenty of people on NorcalEvo have tried it. I was impressed enough that I am driving up to San Fran to have my car tuned by Bryan @ GST (Razorlab) on July 7th.
Just like I told you, there is no pro-tuner in SoCal that can tune boost using the ECU. They still use the most primitive MBC ever created.

So are you going to ditch the Xede? Bryan can tune Xedes, but he prefers ECUflash.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I was thinking of going with a straight ECUflash with the XEDE acting like a pass-through unit only running such things as conditionals like lean-run protect and possibly SMART, but I'm not sure on that.

As of right now, I don't know how to switch maps with the stock ECU (getting a 100map too). I keeping reading the ECUflash forum, but a lot of it I don't really understand yet
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
I just installed my GM solenoid I had left over from my AEM setup on my old car yesterday. Unfortunately I left the pigtail wired to the old car(Ordered another already) Temporarily I used some terminal connectors, the smallest ones I could find that fit into the harness portion of the solenoid. It did take less duty cycle than before as already mention, but I tried the settings razorlab posted in one of the previous links and could only get about 18psi with no pills. Now it has been adjusted and I am getting 21psi all the way to redline according to the gauge. The car does spool slightly faster, actually noticeable. I am going to put a pill before the turbo and see how that goes.
You should have no problem gettin pump gas boost without pills. In another thread, bryan said you dont need any pills. I bet he has experimented with pills so hopefully he'll chime in again.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I don't use any pills with the GM boost solenoid. I have run up to 31 peak psi and held 25psi on the street with no pills. This is on a FPgreen.

On stock turbo I have run up to the same peak psi and 22 psi held on the street.

I haven't messed with pills yet. I have actually been curious if it would actually mess with the resolution and response of the unit since its a interrupt type device. I really haven't put much more thought than that into it with pills since they work so well without them so far.

mchuang, what WGDC are you using up top to achieve 21psi?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ill have to check when I get home. At work right now and didnt bring my laptop
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have a couple of wierd issues also. I notice you guys stating that your wastegate duty cycle is 0 at idle. My wgdc shows 100 and as I begin to boost it drops down. This is before and after the GM Solenoid install. This was in evoscan, and I changed nothing in the xml. Anyone know why that could be? The other wierd thing, I noticed you stated something about tuning without error correction, so I turned it off and got 19-20psi(gauge reading lower than normal) I turned it back on and it read 21psi.

Quick Reply: HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid