Notices
ECU Flash

HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Live4Redline
I forgot to mention that i pulled the car out of the garage to re-tune it for the switch to e85. So at a closer glance its not that its cold, im just spooling up faster and need to move my tapper a little earlyer. Im still not getting any sort of logged or visible boost limit correction so maybe you can take a look anyways.

Heres a pic of what i got going on, let me know what you think.

And its the load error that constantly reads -20. During WOT is may blink -16 and -17 maybe once per pull. And even when I'm over boosting im not seeing any correction. The desired boost load is 254 and I'm hitting 298 with 32psi so shouldn't it be cutting back? Im logging no correction and i assume its because im missing something if someone can point it out.

-First your XML adress for "max total upward WGDC correction vs TPS" is wrong. Double check that with a fresh XML pack install.
-Also the maxed negative error is normal because the ECU calculation is : Actual Load - Desired Load = Load error. The results is obviously negative. When you approach load target, the error will reduce and your goal is zero error.
-Are you sure that your ROM is setup for load based boost control?
-Your WGA correction table is way too agressive.

Finally, I strongly suggest you to read Raptord's boost control guide (post#2). You certainly know the basics but maybe you could learn some new things from reading it.

Last edited by domyz; Feb 9, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this why I can hear my 3port ticking when it's connected to the ECU without a resistor?. I have been using a EBC on the same solenoid since and it's been fine.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will be installing this soon, just wanted to know is the 5/32 vacuum hose to big(the mouth)?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does a weak boost curve correlate with an inadequate boost source?

For a boost source, i am T'ing off my Tial Q. I am wondering if my weak boost curve is suffering from tapping off the bov line. I have an aftermarket LICP that doesnt have a nipple on it like the stock unit.

Anyone?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brokenRS
Does a weak boost curve correlate with an inadequate boost source?

For a boost source, i am T'ing off my Tial Q. I am wondering if my weak boost curve is suffering from tapping off the bov line. I have an aftermarket LICP that doesnt have a nipple on it like the stock unit.

Anyone?
You should never T off your BOV line. It should have a direct source. Take off your J-pipe and put a boost source on it. Doesn't take much time at all.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting my gm 3 port in the mail today. I have been using the AEM 3 port but its slow to react and I don't like it. My question is that I read a thread where mrfred did bench testing on all the 3 ports and the gm came out on top but with a 5 ohm resistor on it instead of the 10 ohm everyone else uses. Where can I find a 5 ohm 1 watt resistor? Radio shack doesn't have them. I found 2.7 ohm resistors on eBay so I guess in theory I could solder in two of those in series to make 5.4 ohms which is close to 5 and better then 10. So does anyone know where to get a straight 5 ohm resistor to use? Thanks...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
I'm getting my gm 3 port in the mail today. I have been using the AEM 3 port but its slow to react and I don't like it. My question is that I read a thread where mrfred did bench testing on all the 3 ports and the gm came out on top but with a 5 ohm resistor on it instead of the 10 ohm everyone else uses. Where can I find a 5 ohm 1 watt resistor? Radio shack doesn't have them. I found 2.7 ohm resistors on eBay so I guess in theory I could solder in two of those in series to make 5.4 ohms which is close to 5 and better then 10. So does anyone know where to get a straight 5 ohm resistor to use? Thanks...

Something like this?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...1%252bDMfFY%3d
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznDragonV
looks good to me, thanks for the help finding it. I tried Google and couldn't find snot on there. Mucho appreciated.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to "mrfred" and he suggested running the gm 3 port with NO resistor at all. Just a heads up to everyone doing this that his testing confirmed the resistor is unnecessary and only delays the bcs's response time.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:43 PM

Does anyone know if this kind of tuning works with the grimmspeed 3 port EBC? I recently installed my 3 port EBC and cant figure out how to dial down the boost while im waiting for my tune from tscomptuned. i tried messing with the boost correction and WGDC and everything.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the Grimmspeed EBCS works just like the GM EBCS. The GS is just plug and play.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*Double Post*
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by freshasfu*k
Does anyone know if this kind of tuning works with the grimmspeed 3 port EBC? I recently installed my 3 port EBC and cant figure out how to dial down the boost while im waiting for my tune from tscomptuned. i tried messing with the boost correction and WGDC and everything.
Yes, the tuning method is exactly the same as it's the same type of boost controller.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question?

Hey guys! I am running rom#94172715, my definitions are different than what's in the first few posts.
Which should I be adjusting? I've been tinkering with the main wastegate duty map, assuming that's the main one.
Any input?
Here's the definitions for wgdc on my rom.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 04:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So a couple of oddities i haven't seen before. I've only deeply tuned this on a 9 but working to get this setup on a buddy's car (05 8) using PSI controlled boost on 9653 V7 rom w/ OMNI 4 bar and stock maf.
  1. On the Boost desired PSI table - minimum value is 7.4. Not an issue but it's odd.
  2. I am targeting 30psi but i notice i am getting boost error correction at <30 PSI - starting around 2-3psi lower than expected - AEM boost gauge is showing under target PSIa as well.
    • Can't tell if logs aren't granular enough or if the ecu is attempting a different target
    • Is there a way to log what my boost target is - what the ECU thinks it is
I ended up turning off all downward correction including IAT just to get a boost curve set. But trying to understand the discrepancy since I would like to enable error correction. I can workaround most of this I just dont recall seeing this years ago when i tuned this, it was very on par.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
-Mike

Quick Reply: HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid