Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Flash will not flash my Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ECU Flash will not flash my Evo 8

Here's What's going on. I just got a new 1.3u cable to replace the one I was using to log and flash my car (Evo8) as the old cable went from working occasionally to nothing at all (the little wire for the white flash connector plug eventually fell off). I plugged the new cable in and it can consistently log and I even get the Ecu Flash icons to light up every time, but as soon as I go to flash the car it immediately gives me the error message in the screen shot below.

I've checked the wires to both connectors under the dash and non seem loose even though the connectors themselves were loose (when I first got it) and I've secured them in place since, the 15a fuses under the dash are all good, reloaded Ecu Flash, changed to a new cable and even had jumper cables connected to a running truck when I took the picture below just in case my mini battery was going bad (it does struggle to turn the car over, but does start the car). Any help would be great, thanks.

Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:06 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If it were battery voltage, it would usually try three times before quitting. Maybe your voltage is really low? I've sometimes had to hook my car up to the charger to get it to flash (also have a mini battery and my car sits a lot). Are you certain the cable is for Mitsu and not Subaru, etc? The white plug is what lets you flash, so be sure the wire is in the same pinout as your old one.

Also: PM sent.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
only time I've had issue with ecuflash not flashing was when my battery was low/weak. drive car around for a block, turn off motor and try?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I get this error if I dont connect the white flash connector and try to use ecuflash. Check if you get 12V on the single pin on flash connector when OBD plug is connected
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:05 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
there might be a conflict with your openport cable and ecuflash. That "interface close" over and over again doesn't look normal.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Try manually reselecting the vehicle type in Ecuflash.

ECU > Select Vehicle Type > Mitsubishi ALL 3rd Gen/EVO7-8
Old Jun 14, 2018, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Evoscan for flashing. The 1.3u cable must have a license for flashing with ECU Flash sometime it does not work right. The Tactrix cable should be OK.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Nothings working so far, here's what I've tried: Both connectors are secure under the dash and the wires seem to be firmly in place now, The white connector wires mate up when connected under the dash, the proper vehicle is selected in ECUFlash on both laptops I've tried to flash the car with (and used each until the old cable fell apart), and I've tried using EvoScan to read/flash the ECU (but I still get an error message immediately).

I believe the 1.3u cable is a universal connector and is only an issue if flashing an Evo9 (if pin 9 is not removed from the cable connector that mates with the cars OBDII port), so it shouldn't be an issue for an 8. Next I'll be checking the voltage to the (white) flash connector plug and I'll be buying a new mini battery this weekend. If all else fails I may try to run ECMLink like I did on my last Evo8 (if I can find the old jumper harness I had) if these things don't work. Thanks for all the input!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uninstall all the drivers for the open port cables and install only 1.

theres a driver conflict.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Just to follow up in case anyone else is having this same issue: I ended up buying a Tactrix 2.0 w/ Mitsu reflash adapter and that fixed the issue, I can read and reflash my car again now. Here's where I got it from: https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?op...ed=1&Itemid=53 . 3-day shipping and I even got it a day early, very happy with my purchase!