Notices
ECU Flash

HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning the pic above, if it were me I would zip tie the hoses on the 3 port. One cannot be too safe.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageEvo8
im doing this install right now, and just had a quick question... does it matter which wire the resistor is soldered into, and does it matter which wires off the factory harness you splice the pigtail into? is the resistor necessary, and why?

im a little electronically challenged. so thanks for the write up, and the help!
No it doesnt matter which wire.

Also, lot of people run with no resistor and have been doing so for years.

BTW, this is Evo_kid.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
I'm doing load boost now cause my map sensor hasn't shown up yet. So I've pretty much gotten used to what's going on. My gauge pressure goal is 28psi which I hit no problem. But I'm trying to hold 27psi by redline when that is achieved do I put the TBEC back in?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
regardless of method (load or direct boost) you need to setup the WGDC with 0 TBEC.

Get the WGDC curve correct for the load/psi you want to reach.

THEN copy your load or psi into BDEL (or target boost table)

THEN reenable TBEC
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by tephra
regardless of method (load or direct boost) you need to setup the WGDC with 0 TBEC.

Get the WGDC curve correct for the load/psi you want to reach.

THEN copy your load or psi into BDEL (or target boost table)

THEN reenable TBEC
Thanks from to man down under

Last edited by DBallz; Jan 26, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Would everything be the same if im using a Grimmspeed solenoid and the Tephra V7 roms? All I would have to do is tune the WGD tables by gear, correct?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
Would everything be the same if im using a Grimmspeed solenoid and the Tephra V7 roms? All I would have to do is tune the WGD tables by gear, correct?
Yes

You have to do the WGDC and the desired load/boost tables by gear.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone tell me what tables I need to work with on V7 to control boost with 3 port?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
Can anyone tell me what tables I need to work with on V7 to control boost with 3 port?
That would probably be a great question to ask in the V7 thread!

....if it wasn't already covered in that thread and the wiki.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Just did a confirmation of Mr Evo IX's AEM (tru-boost, but its the same as the seperately purchased solenoid) and yes, the stocker was about 32 ohm, tru boost was about 12-14 ohm. I tried resistors in series (on on each side of the leads to the solenoid) which totalled about 32 ohm and it just wasn't enough power to move the solenoid. Spring pressure every try.

So, if you are using the AEM solenoid you are leaving the ability to send a bit more power to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be over-amping anything in your ECU. After putting in the JDM MAP I'm kind of surprised how high my spike was and how much duty cycle I need to keep the stock turbo pumping!

Pics of the connector off an AC line pressure connector I used for PNP on the BCS being hacked are here: http://thefrost.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4019

You don't really need to remove as much material as I did... and frankly you could probably get away with cutting the plastic instead of slicing the metal fitting in half. I just cut the fitting in half with a dremel cutting wheel and then split it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then I worked out all of the inner bits with a combination of needle nose and eyeglass screwdrivers. Interestingly simple device though!
Originally Posted by fostytou
OK, stupid question for someone who didn't pay attention well enough to his bad electronics teacher:

I think when you use 2x10ohm 1w resistors you are dropping the voltage to ~6v at the solenoid. Does that mean we are dropping the voltage to ~9 volts with 1? It seemed like the AEM solenoid is acting a little funny (boost will go up 5psi sometimes with 1% more duty cycle) and I was wondering if it was related to it struggling for power...
Hmm.... SO I have an AEM tru boost guage/controller. I'd like to swap over to ECU boost control. I don't have an EVO, so I'll be wiring this stuff to the ECU for the first time.

First question, am I better off using the already installed AEM boost solenoid? It seems like there are issues.... Or should I purchase a GM solenoid?

Also, the boost solenoid will go to PIN 11, and I assume the other wire will go to a power source. Is this just a 12V switched power source? Or something else?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I posted this in the v7 thread but, thought I'd throw this in here as well for some more input.

I can not for the life of me get the darn PSi based direct boost control functioning in a 96531706 (SD + Tephra mods) '05 with a Perrin 3-port EBC.

All the entries in ECUFlash needed for PSi based system are correct based on the notes in the drop down menu in ECUFlash (I've checked them about a 100 times by now). Still getting no response boost wise with WGDC changes. I've tried as low as 30 up to 100 but, still nothing. Boost peaks at about 22.8 to 23 regardless of what is in the WGDC tables.

I have zero'd out the boost adder tables as suggested by Mr Fred in his direct boost control thread for initially dialing in the boost.

Anyone else having issues with this 96531706?

I'm also having issues with EvoScan logging boost error and WGDC.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
I posted this in the v7 thread but, thought I'd throw this in here as well for some more input.

I can not for the life of me get the darn PSi based direct boost control functioning in a 96531706 (SD + Tephra mods) '05 with a Perrin 3-port EBC.

All the entries in ECUFlash needed for PSi based system are correct based on the notes in the drop down menu in ECUFlash (I've checked them about a 100 times by now). Still getting no response boost wise with WGDC changes. I've tried as low as 30 up to 100 but, still nothing. Boost peaks at about 22.8 to 23 regardless of what is in the WGDC tables.

I have zero'd out the boost adder tables as suggested by Mr Fred in his direct boost control thread for initially dialing in the boost.

Anyone else having issues with this 96531706?

I'm also having issues with EvoScan logging boost error and WGDC.
You are using the 'Boost by gear' function right? And making changes to the right table?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes I am using the WGDC table which has the RPM/gear axis'd table to set WGDC. I am attempting to tune the boost curve using 3rd gear with the BEC PSi table zero'd using 3rd gear. I am using the 3rd column in the WGDC table (I have tried changing the entire table simultaneously but, obviously to no effect).

I'm not quite sure what the deal is but, the Perrin 3-port is not responding to anything I to the ROM....
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same issue with my Grimspeed. Im guessing if I have the Speed/Gear tables wrong then I can't set-up direct boost control right?

Quick Reply: HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid