Notices
ECU Flash

Changing Immo in the ECU. Programming keys with new Immo. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:36 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is exactly what I am trying to confirm and never got a firm response. I went to the dealer and they did not know how to do it either.

Seriously, they had no clue. I decided to open this thread!

Anyone has a confirmation on how to do this?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Immobilizer control box is COMPLETELY independent of the ECU's Immobilizer..

The box gets an RFID signal from the Key, if the key is valid, it sends the ECU's Immobilizer code to the ECU, the ECU compares the code to the Immobilizer boxes code and if its valid, it will allow the ignition to function and car to start. If the key is not valid, the immobilizer module doesn't send a code to the ECU to allow it to start.

There is a way to add additional keys to the immobilizer box (its in your owners manual) without reprogramming. However removing bad keys are a MUT tool function. (Not sure if the communication is through the ECU, or alternative pins on the OBD or ALDL connector)

I have an entire dash/engine harness in my shop, and I have wiring diagrams, and have not yet been able to figure out how it works, but honestly I haven't had the time or money to do the research involved.

There is a way to disable the immobilizer in the ECU, so the ECU ignores the code and the car starts regardless.. This is UNDESIRABLE as it eliminates the only real protection the car has from theft (regardless of your opinion on how effective it is) it means a thief can drive the car away, as opposed to towing it to steal it. There is information on figuring out how to disable it, but nobody wants to "give away the farm" and make it an easy A-B-C document on disabling it.

Okay, now to summarize your question..

Since we dont know how to program the immobilizer directly, or read its code, we still need to rely on a MUT tool to program it..

So, if you know your old code, and know the new code in each module, you can switch the code between the two..

You need one working key for each immobilizer, if you have a working key, then you can yourself add additional keys.

To initially marry the immobilizer module to a key, and to the ECU, you still need the MUT..

Good news is if you saved your old immobilizer module, and you have the keys that are married to it, you can use ECUflash to swap the immobilizer code between each module and it will work.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Nov 10, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, and if you want a really good way to prevent a car from being started, regardless of the immobilizer being enabled or not, you can cut the wire to the keyon pin and place a switch in there. If you hide the switch well enough, nobody will ever be able to start the car, even if they have an ECU or Standalone programmed for your car, with or without the immobilizer.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same can be done as a fuel pump interrupt.

Reading this thread made me never want to lose my keys.
Ever.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
ok if im reading this right, your trying to change your immobilizer?

if so you cant do that, your immobilizer is in your ignition and you need to make sure that your ecu matches it, (the immobilizer code)

you could get a different immobilizer tho, and flash your ecu to match the new one....

-nick

Hello,

I just got a new ecu, i need to reflash it to make it work with the old immo and key.

please help me out with what ill need to do.

Thank you