Notices
ECU Flash

Tuning Guide for the GM 3-Port - My Experience..

Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning Guide for the GM 3-Port - My Experience..

As a reality check, what do the guru’s think about my tuning of the GM 3-port? (Before people might use it as a guide) Comments and suggestions welcome..

I guess I just am looking for a reality check to see if this sounds right...

Here is how I tuned my GM 3-port BCS (On my 2005 GSR):

If you do not have a prior log, I would go out and do a full 3rd gear pull, or even a 4th gear pull prior to changing to the 3-port
So that you have a reference to set the car up to. (Mine was a Hallman MBC set to 25-26psi, and am trying to replicate it only
Using the GM 3-port) I did a few 3rd gear’s, then a few 4th gears. All pulls were from roughly 2000rpm until redline.

I took the 4th gear log that I did with my MBC, the most recent one, and wanted to replicate it with the new 3-port. (Performance
wise) Here is how I did it. (The surprising thing is that literally, after a few adjustments to the wastegate duty maps, my data logs
were spot on (2-Byte Load Values) to the manual boost controller in the peak torque areas.)

NOTE: I am planning on getting the JDM MAP sensor soon so that I can log the boost and get better tuning that way, but for
Now, I am tuning by watching the boost gage, and by knowing what kind of load values I should be hitting by prior data logs.
Obviously, with the JDM MAP sensor, the tuning would be soo much easier. But, using this method will enable you to get the
BDEL and BCLO values spot on the first time. (At least it did for me)

So, here is how I set-up my tuning scheme:

First, I changed my maps to read like this (For better resolution around the peak torque area):

Then, I changed my Boost Control Offset Value to 140 because I was reaching load values up to 300, and with the additive
Values of the maps (BDEL and BCLO) I needed to achieve larger numbers because my car is a baller and likes bigger numbers.

Next, I set-up a table in excel, knowing that the ECU interpolates for values in between the RPM values listed like this:

0-1250 for 1000 rpm value
1250-1750 for 1500 rpm value
1750-2250 for 2000 rpm value
2250-2750 for 2500 rpm value
2750-3125 for 3000 rpm value
3125-3375 for 3250 rpm value

And continued till all values were represented by a range. (Split in between RPM the values)

Next, looking at my data log, I grouped the rpm’s in those ranges while the TPS was registering 100%

Then, I averaged out all the load values in those ranges, and came up with one value for each RPM point in the map.
I then took the average, and used the absolute value of the difference between the boost control load offset and placed
That number in each cell. (Absolute value so that you didn’t get negative numbers)

(Basically, the values I put in to each RPM point represented the average load value that EvoScan spit out during the pull,
(Minus the BCLO value) and during those rpm ranges)

Now, I did not change the values in the 1000-3250 values because I am not hitting load values that high, and wanted the
Error correction to see that, and add as much compensation to the wastegate duty maps as possible. (To make it spool up
As fast as possible, until I start hitting the load values where I wanted boost to be regulated by the 3-port)

Next, I changed my wastegate duty maps to read 100 from 1000rpm to the 3000rpm value, and all other values above 3000rpm
I changed to 50 so that I didn’t do a crazy over-boost initially, and just to see what boost I was at. (The wastegate value of 50
On MY car made me boost to roughly 19-20psi.)

Lastly, I lowered my Boost cut maps from all 319 (Maxed out I believe) to 265 to avoid potential damage. Later, I raised it to 275
Because I kept hitting boost cut.

I left the error correction tables alone. (After awhile, I was curious to see what the error correction was actually doing, so I turned
It off and compared logs, then turned it back on.)

After changing all those maps and flashing the car, (WGDC (All Maps), BCLO and BDEL, Error Correction same) I then hooked up
the lines to the new 3-port, and went out for a few pulls and tried to not get arrested.

I slowly raised the WGDC maps until I was hitting the load values that I was with the manual boost controller. It did correspond to
The same boost values I was running with the manual before switching to the 3-port in the peak torque areas once my load values
were the same as the MBC logs. (Roughly 3500 rpm’s) The gage values (On my Defi gage) were reading the same at peak torque also.

So, now that I have my boost set at the peak torque values (Really only from about 3000-4000rpm), I need to star tuning the areas from
4000rpm’s on up. Since the load values are decreasing, the WGDC numbers should taper up, to keep the boost at a steady psi number.
I will do the same type of tuning I did before, using the load values of the prior log and upping the boost until I hit the same load values
before. (All of this is done because I do not have a way to LOG boost. If I did, this would really be a snap.)

Hope this might help a little to people wanting to do this. I found great success using this method, and wish that I had the JDM MAP sensor
To back it all up. After making all of the changes I did, my EvoScan logs look damn near identical from the 3-port to the MBC.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Damn, I must be the only one with a 3-port that has tuned it. (I know I am not..)

Oh well...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

I have no idea what you are on about! LOL Seriously though, I prefer the FBCS and may look into using the GM 3 port as well.

Anyway, good post!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you partially tuned it. Assuming you finish the job successfully, you'll be added to a VERY short list of people who've successfully tuned this thing. I'll be interested to read your final analysis.
Originally Posted by tkklemann
Damn, I must be the only one with a 3-port that has tuned it. (I know I am not..)

Oh well...

Last edited by coffeeslug; Jul 31, 2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coffeeslug
Well, you partially tuned it. Assuming you finish the job successfully, you'll be added to a VERY short list of people who've successfully tuned this thing. I'll be interested to read your final analysis.

Well, I guess I am one of the few, because I got it running perfectly right now, and didn't do it wil the JDM map sensor either. I only did it with the prior logs of the manual boost controller. Granted, it takes more time to do it this way, I had 90% of the maps done and very accurate before even loading it into the car.

I like this thing though, it seems to work very well. It is also nice not having to worry about pills, pill sizes and location etc..

My load values mimic the manual, and only by knowing when I did the pulls (Evoscan's name of the log file) can I tell the difference between the two logs.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeeslug
We have a bunch of guys running the GM solenoid here in norcal.

tkklemann: Nice write up on your experience. Looks like you are doing it correctly.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
We have a bunch of guys running the GM solenoid here in norcal.
And 1 in SoCal
Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Would having a steady 2byte load accross a WOT run not indicate that the car is holding boost. And who cares about boost values anyway since the ECU only cares about load.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Would having a steady 2byte load accross a WOT run not indicate that the car is holding boost. And who cares about boost values anyway since the ECU only cares about load.
I don't believe a non-steady load value across the RPM range would indicate that your boost is dropping. I know that even with my manual, the gage would hold across the rpm range, and i was holding a steady 25 psi.

A few questions for the guru's:

1. The boost cut values - What does this number represent? I believe I started hitting boost cut last night tuning because all the sudden a big bang would happen, and I noticed that the IPW dropped to zero for a few seconds. I assum it is boost cut (Fuel cut). What do those numbers represent?

2. After my fourth boost cut last night, the CEL came on immediately afterwords. EvoScan code's (DTC) says i have a fault in the injector circuit and a VSS fault (I already know about that one). Whenever i scan for DTC's with Evoscan, it seemingly comes up with a few different things even if I check it a few minutes after I just did. Does the DTC scan really work in Evoscan? I cleaed the codes, but the CEL isn't going out. What could the car have thrown a CEL for by hitting boost cut? I remember the car also threw a code for the knock sensor circuit or something like that, but after clearing the DTC's, it never came back..

3. Controlling boost by the wastegate duty maps? Why is it that when I look at a stock ROM, (0011 05 ROM) the OEM maps say 100 across the WGDC entire map? Is this "stock" ROM I have modified? If not, why are we using the WGDC maps to control boost if that wasn't how the OEM was doing it? I am starting to have tuning woes with my GM-3-port, and really need to get this figured out soon, as I don't want to have anything go wrong with the car.

4. Can someone with a GM 3-Port take a screen shot of all their relevant maps (BCLO, BDEL, WGDC, TBEC etc..) and specify what boost it is producing? (And having good results with it) I am looking for a reference just to compare to. (And not to simply copy the maps into my car) Last night, maybe due to the very hot weather, the car started to run like poop and of course it was inevitable that I start to retune it, and ended up doing more damage than good.

Please help with whatever answers you guys can.. I am nervous now that I can't get the CEL to go out with Evoscan now...
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Evoscan will not clear the CEL.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

And sooo the code was a PO234 - Engine Overboost.

What the ****? Up the boost cut?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have a wierd experience with the gm solenoid. I was getting about 23.5 psi with my 92 octane map. I recently switched to E85 and I'm still in the process of tuning but I changed the values in MWGDC from 2750 and up about 10 values higher and it didn't seem to make a difference and actually only hit about 22psi . I've been playing around with it since and I'm able to get about 25.5 now but the values are alot higher then I thought I would have to use.
My opinion is you need alot of time and patience to get this solenoid to work and it seems every car reacts differently to the same settings.
ed
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts

3. Controlling boost by the wastegate duty maps? Why is it that when I look at a stock ROM, (0011 05 ROM) the OEM maps say 100 across the WGDC entire map? Is this "stock" ROM I have modified? If not, why are we using the WGDC maps to control boost if that wasn't how the OEM was doing it? I am starting to have tuning woes with my GM-3-port, and really need to get this figured out soon, as I don't want to have anything go wrong with the car.
The factory tune has the WGDC set to 100% as mitsu sized the restrictor pills very close to produce the factory set boost with 100% duty cycle. Whenever you change this equation, with a smaller sized pill, or a 3 port solenoid, you will be using less duty cycle to make the same boost. This is the whole 'trick' of this. We upgrade to bring the duty cycle down to make more head room to tune more boost in.

4. Can someone with a GM 3-Port take a screen shot of all their relevant maps (BCLO, BDEL, WGDC, TBEC etc..) and specify what boost it is producing? (And having good results with it) I am looking for a reference just to compare to. (And not to simply copy the maps into my car) Last night, maybe due to the very hot weather, the car started to run like poop and of course it was inevitable that I start to retune it, and ended up doing more damage than good.
The key in tuning ecu-boost is getting BDEL and the WGDC working in sync. Meaning log your WGDC and make sure it's close to the WGDC you have in the WGDC map for any given RPM. If the logged WGDC is higher than your BDEL is too high and the system is adding WGDC to meet the BDEL target. If it is cutting it and the WGDC is too low then it is too high and above your BDEL target.

Some adding of the WGDC in 3rd is ok but it shouldn't be alot more, example, WGDC set at 65% @ 5000 rpm, but logged WGDC is 75%.

For the GM 3-port, with BDEL set right, I usually see 55-65% WGDC working well on the stock turbo. Flow mods will change this %.

You can set BDEL and BCLO however you like as long as it is close in matching your target load. Example: Target load is 260. You can set your BDEL to 159 and BCLO to 101 or you can set your BDEL to 120 and your BCLO to 140. Either would work.

Send me a PM, I will be more than happy to help you out.

Last edited by razorlab; Aug 6, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the response. I am in Michigan for business this week, and have a lot of time to check out all of my prior data logs to see what I can change. I am going to try and set up, based on logged values, an excel sheet to calculate the values I should have to reach x amount of boost. I will see how close I can get to it. Maybe I can get a sheet made that is good enough to circulate around when people want to tune the 3-Port.. We'll see...

One more question for the guru's: Does the boost cut value (number) correlate to anything that is logged? Maybe a calculated number?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 PM
ST
Evolving Member

may want to read:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=276674

personally, i would try to get something to datalog boost, then tune wgdc first, tune accordingly, then set bdel / tbec at the end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning Guide for the GM 3-Port - My Experience..