Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
** To make sure the forum doesn't eat any of your code in some browsers or on certain forum cms, put it inside 'code' tags. Like this:

Code:
For instance if your code had a [b] in it,
 instead of coming out bold you actually get [b]..

also
  good
    when there are 
         spaces and formatting that need
                     to           be          preserved.
Just a tip
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job mfred! Time to buy a Map sensor....
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

OK, so after reading through all of this, I do have one questions...

If you already have your boost set-up where you want it using the prior methods (MWGDC, TBEC, BDEL etc...), what would be the benefit in changing it to this?

Would it be just an easier way to do it?

Or is it inherently a better method because of how it is being controlled?

I am going to put in my Jay Dee Emm MAP in tonight, and start to get my GM 3-Port sorted out. I already have 90% of my maps done for the "old" method. Should I use this new method now?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tkklemann

If you already have your boost set-up where you want it using the prior methods (MWGDC, TBEC, BDEL etc...), what would be the benefit in changing it to this? ...
If you're happy with the boost characteristics with your current setup, then no need to change.

In my experience, load tends to fall off somewhat in hotter weather (although load for fuel is not as temperature sensitive as load for boost), and when using a load control system, this results in more boost in hotter weather. With direct boost control, I get the same boost no matter what the weather conditions.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 7, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Here are the results of a 3rd gear log that I took on my way back from lunch.

Attached Thumbnails how-to: ECU-based direct boost control-evoscandatalog_2007.09.07_13.19.53_3rd.jpg   how-to: ECU-based direct boost control-evoscandatalog_2007.09.07_13.19.53_3rd_ecuflash.jpg  
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Here are the results of a 3rd gear log that I took on my way back from lunch.

Just wanted to clear up a few things before I do this...

- Making these changes will still keep the stock overboost protect methods in place right?

- The boost limit table (which normally has load values in it) will still work right?

- In the example tables you show here ^^^ this is with a smaller turbo pill right? Or is this still with both pills stock?

- I currently run a 65 turbo pill and the stock solenoid pill, are the values you suggest still accurate or does different pills throw things off?

Sorry for so many questions, but THANKS a TON for all the time and effort you've put into sharing your knowledge with us. I can't think of anyone who has given more to the self-tuning Evo community.

Last edited by RedV; Sep 7, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RedV
Just wanted to clear up a few things before I do this...

- Making these changes will still keep the stock overboost protect methods in place right?

- The boost limit table (which normally has load values in it) will still work right?

- In the example tables you show here ^^^ this is with a smaller turbo pill right? Or is this still with both pills stock?

- I currently run a 65 turbo pill and the stock solenoid pill, are the values you suggest still accurate or does different pills throw things off?

Sorry for so many questions, but THANKS a TON for all the time and effort you've put into sharing your knowledge with us. I don't think I can think of anyone who has given more to the self-tuning Evo community.
- The boost limit feature is unchanged and still active. It will key off of load just as it did before.

- I'm using a bleeder just before the BCS instead of a custom restrictor pills. A bleeder bleeds off boost pressure to atmosphere. The restrictor pill at the BCS is also deleted.

- My BWGDC values would not work well for a custom restrictor pill. The Boost Error Correction values should work for any setup though.

- A good starting point is to get a log with your current setup. After switching over to the direct boost control setup, leave your BWGDC tables unchanged, and use the boost values from your log as a starting point. From there, you can begin to fine-tune all the tables.

Thanks. Hope its useful. :-)
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
- The boost limit feature is unchanged and still active. It will key off of load just as it did before.

- I'm using a bleeder just before the BCS instead of a custom restrictor pills. A bleeder bleeds off boost pressure to atmosphere. The restrictor pill at the BCS is also deleted.

- My BWGDC values would not work well for a custom restrictor pill. The Boost Error Correction values should work for any setup though.

- A good starting point is to get a log with your current setup. After switching over to the direct boost control setup, leave your BWGDC tables unchanged, and use the boost values from your log as a starting point. From there, you can begin to fine-tune all the tables.

Thanks. Hope its useful. :-)
Thanks for the quick reply!

One other quick question. I added the lines to my .xml for ECUFlash and opened my ROM. I already had the two "WGDC Correction Interval" values in there from one of your other mods (load error I believe). Is this the same value as before? I had changed #1 from 10 to 3 before and it's also 3 in the duplicate "WGDC Correction Interval" values, so I figured it's the same thing twice, but just wanted to be sure.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks for the quick reply!

One other quick question. I added the lines to my .xml for ECUFlash and opened my ROM. I already had the two "WGDC Correction Interval" values in there from one of your other mods (load error I believe). Is this the same value as before? I had changed #1 from 10 to 3 before and it's also 3 in the duplicate "WGDC Correction Interval" values, so I figured it's the same thing twice, but just wanted to be sure.
Yep, same tables.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Thanks again for letting me test it out mrfred. Very cool stuff.

It makes tuning ecu-boost much easier now.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

More questions I'm afraid...

- I was ready to start changing the values in my ROM. First step, change the value in "Variable for Boost Control". Your instructions say, "Stock value will be 6B48" but mine was 6B42. I searched this on the forum and realized that I changed it from stock previously in this thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=6B42

... where it was called "Load variable for boost control". Figured that one out, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else wonders.

- "Boost Error RAM Address" and "Boost Error RAM Address in Boost Error Table" were also changed in the previous "ECU boost control mods" thread linked above. They were called "Load Error RAM Address" and "Load Error RAM Address in Load Error Table" in that thread.

- I'm a little confused by your instructions regarding the "Boost Error Correction" table. In the ECUFlash instructions you say "Do not set the upper right value to zero", but little further down you say, "The key is to leave at least top right hand value 0." I'm guessing you're recommending 0 as that's what you show in your tables, but I just wanted to clarify this.

- Both MUT8A and MUT8B had already been added to my .xml also from the previous thread linked above. 8A was already 6EE3, while 8B was still the stock value, but had been mentioned in the other thread.

Hopefully these few things will help anyone who also has these questions.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

More questions I'm afraid...

- I was ready to start changing the values in my ROM. First step, change the value in "Variable for Boost Control". Your instructions say, "Stock value will be 6B48" but mine was 6B42. I searched this on the forum and realized that I changed it from stock previously in this thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=6B42

... where it was called "Load variable for boost control". Figured that one out, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else wonders.

- "Boost Error RAM Address" and "Boost Error RAM Address in Boost Error Table" were also changed in the previous "ECU boost control mods" thread linked above. They were called "Load Error RAM Address" and "Load Error RAM Address in Load Error Table" in that thread.

- I'm a little confused by your instructions regarding the "Boost Error Correction" table. In the ECUFlash instructions you say "Do not set the upper right value to zero", but little further down you say, "The key is to leave at least top right hand value 0." I'm guessing you're recommending 0 as that's what you show in your tables, but I just wanted to clarify this.

- Both MUT8A and MUT8B had already been added to my .xml also from the previous thread linked above. 8A was already 6EE3, while 8B was still the stock value, but had been mentioned in the other thread.

Hopefully these few things will help anyone who also has these questions.
- Yeah, I used a different name for first items you mentioned. I have been trying to make the names more appropriate as I go along.

- Upper right value: Yeah, I spaced that out. It should be zero. I just fixed it.

- MUT addresses: Yeah, I don't have the WGDCC in the instructions in the other thread for changing the load variable. I may add it at some point. Just need to find the time.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:44 PM

Can this be used for edm evo 9? Or can you make something like this for edm evo9? Trying to control boost with ecu based boost control but had no success results yet(((
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinogrados
Can this be used for edm evo 9? Or can you make something like this for edm evo9? Trying to control boost with ecu based boost control but had no success results yet(((
yea you can use it on that one once your rom definition has been altered to show these tables.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mchuang
yea you can use it on that one once your rom definition has been altered to show these tables.
EDM cars don't have a MAP sensor or built-in wiring for a MAP sensor, so this mod is not easily accomplished with EDM cars. It would probably be pretty hard to implement.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 8, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control