Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought it would be the same hardware and the addresses would just have to be discovered. My bad.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

so it seems they would the be able to add the pinouts to the harness to run the signal wires for the map sensor and patch the rom if there was a patch available correct?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
so it seems they would the be able to add the pinouts to the harness to run the signal wires for the map sensor and patch the rom if there was a patch available correct?
That would be the way to do it.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
why does it only work on ecuflash 1.30 an dlower and evoscan .99 and lower??
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
why does it only work on ecuflash 1.30 an dlower and evoscan .99 and lower??
It might work in ECUFlash 1.31 or EvoScan 1.0(beta), but I haven't tried it. Its just a matter of making sure that the definitions have the correct syntax for the newer versions of ECUFlash and EvoScan.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My initial testing shows great results. My MWGDC was pretty dead on for starters, so the correction wasn't too drastic.

Here's my result after dialing in a 25psi target with some taper after 5500:

Old Sep 8, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started using EvoScan 1.0 alpha and it seems to work fine. I believe it has a "boost" function already defined - and looking at the equation it seems to be the same and call the same reference.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

So I flashed my ECU for direct JDM MAP sensor boost control today before I left work. I then logged on my way home from work. I haven't changed any of the values in my MWGDC/BDEL table. I did change my Boost Adder value to be atmospheric pressure.

I guess my question is, why am I boosting lower with this change, and why is my logged boost error value pretty much always ~-3psi, but the ECU doesn't seem to do anything to correct it. It tries to correct a little near red line, but that's about it.

Here's my graphed logged data and my relevant ROM settings...

This is with a #65 pill at the turbo and the stock pill by the BCS. Did my boost get lower because I lowered the boost adder value? If the target is ~21-22psi, but actual boost is only 19psi, and boost error is -3psi why doesn't the ECU correct using the BCS? Maybe I'm missing something... thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

OK... so upon studying the problem further, I'm thinking that it's my TBEC table that's causing lower boost. When the ECU is seeing ~3psi low boost, it looks to the TBEC table for how to correct it. The table has a value of -3.1psi -> 0. So this means that when the boost is -3.1psi dow, don't do anything to correct it.

It's only when the boost is only -1.9psi low or less that the TBEC table tells the ECU to correct it. That's why it begins to correct near redline.

I set my TBEC table this way as this is what mrfred recommended in the instructions at the beginning of this thread, probably rightfully so to make sure that there wouldn't be an overboost problems with this mod. So I think I'm going to revert back to the TBEC table that I was using before and see what I get. Someone please correct me if my thinking is flawed here.

Last edited by RedV; Sep 10, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Your BWGDC table is too far off. Try adding 10% across the board.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

What is the maximum boost you could control with this system.

Also with the proper scaling values, would this be able to work with the motorola boost sensor described here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=motorola

It is much cheaper than the JDM sensor.

Last edited by dudical26; Sep 11, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dudical26
What is the maximum boost you could control with this system.

Also with the proper scaling values, would this be able to work with the motorola boost sensor described here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=motorola

It is much cheaper than the JDM sensor.
Max boost is the limit of the JDM MAP sensor (32 psi). I can't offer any support on other sensors. I just don't have time to mess with it. My head is barely above water now.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
In my experience, load tends to fall off somewhat in hotter weather (although load for fuel is not as temperature sensitive as load for boost), and when using a load control system, this results in more boost in hotter weather. With direct boost control, I get the same boost no matter what the weather conditions.
Does this mean you get a weaker feeling car in hot weather? Or does it feel the same no matter what the conditions are?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ For those of us that still haven't picked up the JDM Map sensor...... Are they only available via MRFRED? If so, are supplies available now or is there a wait?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
^^^ For those of us that still haven't picked up the JDM Map sensor...... Are they only available via MRFRED? If so, are supplies available now or is there a wait?
Yea they are only available from mrfred. Even though it seems the motorola is working fine, I will end up buying one just to have also, but I just wanted to try a diff sensor to see what it does and have another option. But we gotta support mrfred for the work he does.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control