Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by roger smith
Does this mean you get a weaker feeling car in hot weather? Or does it feel the same no matter what the conditions are?
Hot weather will affect performance in the same manner as a standalone boost controller like a Greddy or whatever.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I have questions to ask:

1. If I add the new tables that mrfred defined to my rom via the xml file, what will happen if I do not change anything in them? Would boost be still controlled using the load method (BCLO+BDEL+WGDC) that I am currently using?

2. If I add the new tables and start using them, will the other tables (BCLO+BDEL) stop being used by default?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I need clarification.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
I have questions to ask:

1. If I add the new tables that mrfred defined to my rom via the xml file, what will happen if I do not change anything in them? Would boost be still controlled using the load method (BCLO+BDEL+WGDC) that I am currently using?

2. If I add the new tables and start using them, will the other tables (BCLO+BDEL) stop being used by default?

Also curious. I would like to add them but dont want to until I have a ton of time to tune them.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

I have questions to ask:

Adding the table entries to the XML files will not change it to a boost control system. To make the conversion to boost control, its also necessary to go into ECUFlash and modify the table values per my instructions.

After modifying the table values in ECUFlash, the BCLO, BDEL, and TBEC tables will remain visible in ECUFlash, but they are no longer used for tuning. (The BWGDC table is still used though.) If you want to revert back to the load control system, its as simple as reverting to a previous ROM. Its not even necessary to delete the entries added to the XML files.
The following users liked this post:
japspec (Nov 16, 2019)
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Also curious. I would like to add them but dont want to until I have a ton of time to tune them.
None of this will work without a JDM MAP sensor.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You Rock Mrfred!

I have not had much luck with the previous round of mods for ecu boost control, but I'm using a gm solenoid and and evo green turbo. What I observed was that beyond a certain point boost can vary by more than 1.5 psi at the same load reading, with my setup anyway so I am reverting to duty cycle based only for the time being. In other words, sometimes 280 load at 4,000 rpm is 23psi, other times it is 24.5 psi..... too much variation for my taste, I don't think it has anything to do with the work you did, just the nature of the load calculation.

Anyway man, Great work! and i will keep an eye out for the 74170008 rom mods.
Cheers,
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
You Rock Mrfred!

... In other words, sometimes 280 load at 4,000 rpm is 23psi, other times it is 24.5 psi..... too much variation for my taste.
Yep, that's my experience with a load control system. My problem is that higher gears boost higher for the same load. Didn't like that. The direct boost control system fixes this. :-)
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^Any JDM MAP sensors available?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoops I posted in the wrong thread. I meant to post in the boost mods thread
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone post Baseline Boost, Boost Adder, WGDC and Boost Error Correction tables for 91 octane gas? I want to see how they look.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Can anyone post Baseline Boost, Boost Adder, WGDC and Boost Error Correction tables for 91 octane gas? I want to see how they look.
All the tables except for BWGDC are now in psi. Just set it to the psi level you want, and it will go there if your WGDC tables are reasonably close (and you're not asking for a value the turbo cannot obtain). Since you're at sealevel, the easiest combo for you is to set the Boost Adder to your local atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi?), and then the Baseline Boost you can set to whatever you want to see on your boost gauge.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have my boost numbers from my current logs and want to use them for Baseline boost.

Logworks allows me to use either average psi numbers from multiple logs or using maximum psi numbers from multiple logs.

Should I enter the maximum psi or the average psi numbers in the baseline boost table?

You entered 23.8 psi @ 3750 in your table. Is that a number that your boost is actually hitting or is it a number that you would like to hit?

Last edited by nj1266; Sep 11, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Should I enter the maximum psi or the average psi numbers in the baseline boost table?

You entered 23.8 psi @ 3750 in your table. Is that a number that your boost is actually hitting or is it a number that you would like to hit?
Its hitting it right on the money. Check out the plot below. What's working best for me is to set the update interval to 1 and use small corrections in the BEC table.

In the Baseline Boost table, I recommend using your average psi numbers vs rpm from your logs, but keep in mind that there will always be some scatter in the boost signal like in my plot. The peak of the scatter will always be a bit above the average value.

Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Its hitting it right on the money. Check out the plot below. What's working best for me is to set the update interval to 1 and use small corrections in the BEC table.

In the Baseline Boost table, I recommend using your average psi numbers vs rpm from your logs, but keep in mind that there will always be some scatter in the boost signal like in my plot. The peak of the scatter will always be a bit above the average value.

Wow that is nice, what do you use to plot graphs mrfred?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also just curious mrfred, how do you get your wgdc to start at 0, everytime i graph mine it starts at 100 then dips as i boost, in coordination with the wgdc table settings. I have 100% to 2750 then as I hit 3000 I drop and the graph shows that drop also.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control