Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
So here's a question. If WGDC can't be greater than 100%, how do you eliminate massive taper when you're already maxing the wastegate?
Smaller pill, 3 port, tighten WGA, aftermarket WGA, bigger turbo.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So would it be safe to say that a MBC will produce the same large taper? Of course I would like a little taper, like 24 - 20 PSI, but dropping to 16 is killing me! I have a Forge MBC I could install in place of the ECU controlled boost, but I only want to go that route if there isn't a way to achieve my goals given my current setup
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

So would it be safe to say that a MBC will produce the same large taper? Of course I would like a little taper, like 24 - 20 PSI, but dropping to 16 is killing me! I have a Forge MBC I could install in place of the ECU controlled boost, but I only want to go that route if there isn't a way to achieve my goals given my current setup
What is your mod list?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

AMS 3" TBE w/ TP, AMS UICP (short route), Greddy Type RS BOV, Amsoil Filter w/ Vibrant MAF adapter, Omni Power 4-Bar MAP sensor, #58 DIY pill (located in line between compressor outlet and Tee), ECUFlash custom tune (well, in the process anyway)

That's it!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Pressure test for boost leaks. Have you replaced your throttle body shaft seals? If not, then they leak. Check the diaphragm in the Greddy BOV for tears.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Good thinking - sometimes we forget about the obvious. I'll make a pressure tester and try it out.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a patch for the Zeitroniz 3.5 bar map sensor scaling? I see it's already available for the SD setup but can't seem to find it for the boost control. Would I be better off just getting the 4 bar sensor? My map harness is already cut but I still have the connector & can swap it back if needed.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Does anyone have a patch for the Zeitroniz 3.5 bar map sensor scaling? I see it's already available for the SD setup but can't seem to find it for the boost control. Would I be better off just getting the 4 bar sensor? My map harness is already cut but I still have the connector & can swap it back if needed.
Last I knew, no one had dialed in the Map Sensor settings for ECUFlash to log/use the ZT 3.5 bar map sensor accurately yet (I could be very wrong, things move fast in this forum!). If you do find them though, PLEASE post up the settings!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't you log from the zeitronix directly? You could simply do a simulataneous log of the ECU bit value and the ZT direct boost pressure to start building an equation. Worst case you could scatter plot and to a best fit line in excel to get the correct formula.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

^ Unfortunately I'm not too smart so almost everything you said just went over my head. :/ If there isn't already scaling available for the 3.5 then I'll just get an Omni 4bar sensor that has been scaled and tested. I searched but couldn't find info for the 3.5 and I just figured I'd ask before I went with th 4 bar. Thanx for trying to help but I'm no good with code and tuning stuff. And for the record I'm just tring to get everthing lined up before I get tuned. I am not setting up the SD, boost control, or tuning myself but I wanna get all the wiring & installation done before I go to the professionals.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Last I knew, no one had dialed in the Map Sensor settings for ECUFlash to log/use the ZT 3.5 bar map sensor accurately yet (I could be very wrong, things move fast in this forum!). If you do find them though, PLEASE post up the settings!
I took at a stab at it a long time ago but only for an evo 8. I run the 5 bar sensor and only got a code once in a blue moon its been code free for around 4 months now.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6563042-post582.html

The only bummer is the bit limitation does make the sensor somewhat choppy since the 8 bits only provide so much resolution.

Or perhaps you mean the conversion to the 3.5 bar settings for the base boost and boost adder tables?

Last edited by RoadSpike; Aug 19, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Thanx, that may werk. Has anyone tested the 3.5 settings you came up with? I'm thinking I may be better off just getting the 4bar setup now. There are a lot more people using it so the support is bound to be better.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Thanx, that may werk. Has anyone tested the 3.5 settings you came up with? I'm thinking I may be better off just getting the 4bar setup now. There are a lot more people using it so the support is bound to be better.
Probably better off with the better support. I didn't even know about the 4 bar option until after i set it up myself . Plus I wanted to get a 5 bar system working so someone out there could build a monster drag car with stock ecu and speed density.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Good thinking - sometimes we forget about the obvious. I'll make a pressure tester and try it out.
Always do the BLT first when having too much taper. Also, I had a VIII and a IX and IXs taper way more. You can tune MIVEC to help hold boost also. And if you not already using one, an oren air filter will help you hold boost up top. And everything GST said.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
mrfred runs a funky pill setup...

i dont know the specifics, but 3port will produce the same if not better result..
Yep, the GM 3-port will kick butt over my bleed setup for pushing max boost.

A really easy way to get more boost out of the car is to do the "Help" WGA spring mod. Its ghetto quality, but its cheap, pretty easy to install, and can be removed more quickly than it was installed. I did it about a month ago. I thought it might make the car prone to "difficult to tune" boost spikes, but I have had zero issues with it. I was able to get another psi of boost in the areas where my system was at 100% WGDC. If you go with the mod, zero out your WGDC table to start because the spring has a huge effect on boost in the peak turbo efficiency range. Running E85 made me a bit fearless about boost, so I started off with no changes to my WGDC table, and intead of the usual 26 psi, the boost sensor pegged at 32.X psi when the turbo spooled in third gear at 3500 rpm.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control