Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
ooohhh fun times
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, the GM 3-port will kick butt over my bleed setup for pushing max boost.

A really easy way to get more boost out of the car is to do the "Help" WGA spring mod. Its ghetto quality, but its cheap, pretty easy to install, and can be removed more quickly than it was installed. I did it about a month ago. I thought it might make the car prone to "difficult to tune" boost spikes, but I have had zero issues with it. I was able to get another psi of boost in the areas where my system was at 100% WGDC. If you go with the mod, zero out your WGDC table to start because the spring has a huge effect on boost in the peak turbo efficiency range. Running E85 made me a bit fearless about boost, so I started off with no changes to my WGDC table, and intead of the usual 26 psi, the boost sensor pegged at 32.X psi when the turbo spooled in third gear at 3500 rpm.
Wow! Would you happen to have a link to the "Help" WGA mod? Also, I'm pretty convinced it's a boost leak. Without changing anything with the flash, I could only hit about 15 PSI this morning on my way to work. Time to head to Home Depot and build the DIY leak tester.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
Wow! Would you happen to have a link to the "Help" WGA mod? Also, I'm pretty convinced it's a boost leak. Without changing anything with the flash, I could only hit about 15 PSI this morning on my way to work. Time to head to Home Depot and build the DIY leak tester.
I don't have the link handy. If you search on the terms help, wga, spring, you ought to find it pretty easily. You'll want to install the GM BCS first though. Its more expensive and takes a bit more work, but its the foundation for getting more boost than stock.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone played around with using the FPR solenoid? Jrohner turned me on to it and it has been working pretty well. I can't compare it to anything else except an MBC but it seems to hold boost quite well at the range that I'm in. I probably run a fair amount less boost than many of you though. I run about 23.5psi then (purposely) taper to about 21 in the higher gears. It could be an option for those guys that don't want to blow $60 on a gm bcs.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

it's not 3port thou...

no offense - but if you cant spend $100 on a 3port then you should own a 30k car
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

It is, at least a DSM FPR solenoid is.

I don't own a $30k car. I think I'd be luck to pull in $8500 even being a low mileage, well maintained convertible. I'm also incredibly strapped for cash being that I am a soon to be unemployed college student.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

still $60 vs $8500 thats a tank of gas or so hehe

ok - double check that they are 3port, I would be suprised
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

It is, testing it shows that when activated it vents air out from the cap with the on it. So far it has met my needs and I think Jrohner is running closer to 30psi on his.

DSMers are cheap. Every one of them. If we could afford it we would drive evos and then we probably wouldn't be cheap but we can't so half of our performance parts come from hardware stores and the other half we buy used. We are probably the cheapest performance car community out there or at least very close to it. Some people take that a little too far which gives DSMs a reputation for poor reliability but every community has those people.

I was going to buy a 3port at one point but really this has been serving my needs quite well, for the price difference it means that I can go to another event this year or pay for about half of my 8.8 rear axle swap on the Jeep.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, the GM 3-port will kick butt over my bleed setup for pushing max boost.

A really easy way to get more boost out of the car is to do the "Help" WGA spring mod. Its ghetto quality, but its cheap, pretty easy to install, and can be removed more quickly than it was installed. I did it about a month ago. I thought it might make the car prone to "difficult to tune" boost spikes, but I have had zero issues with it. I was able to get another psi of boost in the areas where my system was at 100% WGDC. If you go with the mod, zero out your WGDC table to start because the spring has a huge effect on boost in the peak turbo efficiency range. Running E85 made me a bit fearless about boost, so I started off with no changes to my WGDC table, and intead of the usual 26 psi, the boost sensor pegged at 32.X psi when the turbo spooled in third gear at 3500 rpm.
mrfred, do you think that spring mod would benifit if you are running a jdm map and a GM selenoid?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
holy cow.... I just read this entire thread, its pretty ridiculous.....
I've done GM 3-port with load base control, and now I'm going to jump with JDM direct now....

I'm slightly confused on somethings, but I'll start small and see where I stand.....

I'm sure I'll be back.... Keep up the good work mrfred
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the load based control is fine for me, just wish i had more support for my JDM rom 88570008.

mrfred any feedback on if this will be done? a donation/contribution can be made of course.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rolly1818
the load based control is fine for me, just wish i had more support for my JDM rom 88570008.

mrfred any feedback on if this will be done? a donation/contribution can be made of course.
My only issue with load base is I get mad crazy over boost in 5th and 6th gear
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

gear boost ftw!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only issue with load base is I get mad crazy over boost in 5th and 6th gear
yup same here, tune for it

also i got the JDM hardware (MAP Sensor) so why not use it

i want to go to gear boost but i am afraid its gonna get more confusing! plus i dont think its out for 88570008!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

it will be out eventually..

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control