Notices
ECU Flash

Patch Idea: Can you help Tephra?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 03:56 AM
XBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patch Idea: Can you help Tephra?

Excuse me if this has already been discussed or already out there but I have not seen it.

After installing Tephra KnockCEL/NLTS/VALET patch I was very satisfied and had an idea for a different patch that already uses the features he has created.

It would be a "Ignition cut on Knock" patch. Basically you would set the amount of knock and load for it to engage, and if the load and counts of knock are met it will cut your ignition back like the NLTS and the parameters for setting the knock are the same as the KnockCEL basically.

Don't know if this would be something easy to do but think it would be a good failsafe at a road course where you can here knock and might not be looking at your dash.

Criticism welcome!

-George
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:51 AM

nice idea
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think most will agree that the Low Octane Fuel & Timing maps are designed to band-aid knock... I don't think people would want fuel/ignition CUT to prevent knock.

The only additional method of protection that I would like to see is "Low Octane Boost". Since we have direct ECU based boost control now with JDM MAP, we could have the ECU pull boost on high knock (in addition to fuel/timing).

That's really the only thing I can see being added for detonation triggering.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
XBS,

The ECU already does what you are asking for. It retards ignition 1* for roughly every 3 knock counts.

If the knock sum is 6 or greater, then the 'long term' knock trim kicks in, which are interpolations/averages to the low octane fuel and ignition maps, which should have more conservative numbers.

Eric
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
XBS,

The ECU already does what you are asking for. It retards ignition 1* for roughly every 3 knock counts.

If the knock sum is 6 or greater, then the 'long term' knock trim kicks in, which are interpolations/averages to the low octane fuel and ignition maps, which should have more conservative numbers.

Eric
Eric,

do you know if the long term trims you speak of have "long term" affects to overall tune/map compensation?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just referring to the low octane maps as long term knock trims....sort of using an analogy of short term and long terms fuel trims.

But, to answer you question, if you are consistently knocking, then your octane number will stay low, which will put you into a weighted average between your hi and low octane maps.

Eric
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
XBS

Got it, Thanks guys!

-George
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
hrmm Ignition cut is very drastic, and when in gear must be putting a massive load on the box...

anyways my next mod will be to have somethign flashing for when the octane level isn't 100, ie you are running low maps
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
hrmm Ignition cut is very drastic, and when in gear must be putting a massive load on the box...

anyways my next mod will be to have somethign flashing for when the octane level isn't 100, ie you are running low maps
I think I'd just prefer to wire LED's to every unused output from the ecu and lock you in a room for 6 months.

I'd have an indicator for everything including the currency exchange rate on my dash.

Keep at it Tephra.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
XBS,

Eric
There is also an acceleration retard.. where during acceleration even 1 count of knock 1 degree of timing is pulled .. that is based on rate of acceleration and TPS..
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes indeed, I have a log which shows exactly that, every single knock count carries a degree loss. This goes on for the entire half mile wot accel, during every session, every lap.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
doesn't the ecu already control boost also when knock is detected? or is that the new idea? kinda like that smart xede thing.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ no the ecu doesn't curb boost when knock is detected.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The ECU may reduce max boost if the engine is still cold, and it also implements fuel cut if you overboost, but no knock related saftetys
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
a worthy project?

Quick Reply: Patch Idea: Can you help Tephra?