How To Tune an Evo

Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fantastic guide, loving it!

Thanks OP!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by butte
I've read through this thread a few times and I've searched around but couldn't find an answer. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords or something.

Is there a general consensus on which tables should be tuned before others?

From what I've gathered, with 91 octane at least, the priority should be:

1)Adjust timing to eliminate knock
2) Find areas where timing can be improved, and advance the timing without introducing knock
3)Tune Mivec to JDM map or otherwise
4)Finally tune AFR maps to ~11.5 tapering to 10.9 towards redline

All while ensuring we're not introducing new occurrences of knock

Is this the right approach?
I do it a bit different way
1) Ensure the injectors are set properly ( all fuel trims are as close to 0% correction as possible) using the closed loop operation.
2) Disable closed loop mode and lean spool
3) Tune MIVEC tables
4) Pull out a few degrees of ignition timing and run a few pulls to match afr maps and actual lambda
5) set up afr maps with desired afr curve ( it matches the delivered afr by now)
6) Finding optimal ignition timing and correcting afr tables if required.

PS Although most of the people keep saying that the lean afr will give you more power (anything from 12:1 to 11:1), I have always been getting more power and torque with 10.9 : 1 afr, regardless MIVEC or not, 91 or 93 pump gas, pump gas or race gas. It looks like 4G63 engine is best operating at lambda 0.74 ( afr 10.9 : 1).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:23 PM

How to Tune an EVO

Hey Guys! I'm new here obviously...but I have to ask a question about my son's EVO. It's a 2013 EVO he bought from a dealer, and he researched about EVOs for months. I had to listen to him doing "Virtual" racing EVOs on YouTube every morning---engines revving. Anyhow. He know has his dream car, and we are all happy!

He kept getting these things in the mail to do recall work or take the car to dealer to get the recall done...and so..he takes the EVO to local dealer. NOT the dealer he bought it from (its 50 miles away, but now I think is worth the drive). The local Mitsibishi dealer performs the recall.

Flash forward, the check engine light is on constantly now. He takes it back to the same dealer to diagnose. They inform him that when they did the recall, the "TUNE" was deleted? Ugh! He spent so much on this car! AND they inform him it was done illegally??? what? I don't get it...but regardless they should have told him that doing the "recall" would eliminate the "TUNE"? Do you guys agree with that? I went into dealer raising the roof to demand them to put it back on and not charge him. I had to leave the dealer because I was very upset and really did not understand what the heck this "TUNE" was until I found this site!

Should I write a letter to the owner of this dealership demanding the "TUNE" to be paid and performed by them? Or am I being unrealistic, since I'm "Mom" and really have no clue about this stuff? I think these dealer guys are jerks! But, I could be wrong...why didn't they "diagnose" that the "TUNE" was on there before doing the work and call my son to let him know what might happen to it.
Thanks,
MOM#1
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would quit driving the car until it's looked at by a professional shop that specializes in Evos. Sounds like the car is modified and it needs a custom tune to run right and not risk doing damage. I can't really summarize why but the dealership cannot return the tune on the car back to the state it was at before.

I see that you put that you are from Florida. If you post what area I'm sure someone will recommend a shop for you.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:08 PM

Ok, Thanks Ridenrunwv. We are on the East coast, but Orlando is where he bought the car. Do you think there is recourse to make the dealer pay for the tune? My son told me it probably will cost $1k to get it done.

I think someone in the dealer's shop probably saw an opportunity to make some extra money because my son made friends with this guy and recommended him to bring it there. I guess a car club. I could be wrong, but it just really irritates me that they didn't see it was on there. The "tune". Shouldn't they have seen it?

I am pissed. I am Detroit born and raised, and I love cars too. And I know what is under the hood--not stupid with cars. But the newer cars have me puzzled, and the imports are beautiful too. Engines are impressive.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
I would quit driving the car until it's looked at by a professional shop that specializes in Evos. Sounds like the car is modified and it needs a custom tune to run right and not risk doing damage. I can't really summarize why but the dealership cannot return the tune on the car back to the state it was at before.

I see that you put that you are from Florida. If you post what area I'm sure someone will recommend a shop for you.
Correct, The dealer's computer won't write a file once it's been unlocked and flashed.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mom#1
Ok, Thanks Ridenrunwv. We are on the East coast, but Orlando is where he bought the car. Do you think there is recourse to make the dealer pay for the tune? My son told me it probably will cost $1k to get it done.

I think someone in the dealer's shop probably saw an opportunity to make some extra money because my son made friends with this guy and recommended him to bring it there. I guess a car club. I could be wrong, but it just really irritates me that they didn't see it was on there. The "tune". Shouldn't they have seen it?

I am pissed. I am Detroit born and raised, and I love cars too. And I know what is under the hood--not stupid with cars. But the newer cars have me puzzled, and the imports are beautiful too. Engines are impressive.
Good on you for looking to help your son out. As has already been mentioned, don't drive the car hard until its been looked at.

I would look into an "e-tune". This would be a tune sent to you by someone like English racing, TScomptuned, busher racing...any number of reputable venders. You'll just need to have a list of the modifications done to the car (if any) so the tuner can give you a starting map (or Tune). He'll then send you revisions to that tune so the car will run correctly. Its a fairly easy process and the tuner can explain exactly how he wants to do things.

Feel free to PM (private message) me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

They do not know what's done to the car or anything. If they can get it to a tuner in person I think that would be the best possible situation. I normally would be all for a remote tune but in this case I would go with a face to face so the car will be looked over and tuned properly.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:57 PM
kaj

If you are familiar enough with the car to know which mods have been done, an email tune works. Any tuner worth their salt can open it up and inspect.
If you aren't that comfortable, definitely get it to a shop.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 05:18 AM

Hey Guys! Thank you so much! I forwarded this thread to my son, and the rest is up to him. Famous last words...your advise is greatly appreciated. Put my mind as ease. Teal2nnr, thank you for that info, my son has that now too.

Ridenrunwy and Kaj, thanks.

So what I understand is that he needs a specialty shop for EVOs that does the modification? Not some mechanic at the dealer who works on EVOs? That's what he got, the latter, at dealer. Some kid there is in his car group...but after I showed my *** there probably not good to go back. Whew.

I just felt like they were taking advantage of him. Mama bear to the rescue. But the dealer auto mgr said something to the effect that "when you buy these cars its expected of you to pay everything up front." So I looked at my son, wished everyone a good day and walked out. It was up to him to refuse to pay that $110 for a diagnostic that should have been done before the upgrade or recall repair was even done. Lesson learned, I guess...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mom#1
Hey Guys! Thank you so much! I forwarded this thread to my son, and the rest is up to him. Famous last words...your advise is greatly appreciated. Put my mind as ease. Teal2nnr, thank you for that info, my son has that now too.

Ridenrunwy and Kaj, thanks.

So what I understand is that he needs a specialty shop for EVOs that does the modification? Not some mechanic at the dealer who works on EVOs? That's what he got, the latter, at dealer. Some kid there is in his car group...but after I showed my *** there probably not good to go back. Whew.

I just felt like they were taking advantage of him. Mama bear to the rescue. But the dealer auto mgr said something to the effect that "when you buy these cars its expected of you to pay everything up front." So I looked at my son, wished everyone a good day and walked out. It was up to him to refuse to pay that $110 for a diagnostic that should have been done before the upgrade or recall repair was even done. Lesson learned, I guess...
Buy your kid a Civic. If he's not responsible or resourceful enough to troubleshoot his own problems re: a high performance vehicle (e.g., by posting on this forum), then this is not going to be the last of your troubles.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:18 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by aamoedo
Buy your kid a Civic. If he's not responsible or resourceful enough to troubleshoot his own problems re: a high performance vehicle (e.g., by posting on this forum), then this is not going to be the last of your troubles.

Lots of people own high performance cars and just drive them. An intimate knowledge of the car isn't necessary, neither are any type of mechanic skills. That's how shops stay in business. They will be fine.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I knew that response was just a matter of time. Plenty of shops out there to maintain and repair an Evo as long as the owner has the money.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
His mom had to locate this forum, create an account, locate this thread, and solicit advice for HIS car. His mom also had to fight his battle with the dealership. Props to the mom, but I'd question the kid's maturity to be behind the wheel of ANY vehicle. This isn't about age, or having intimate knowledge of your vehicle. It's about lacking any initiative whatsoever to handle a serious problem. I'm generally against denying anyone a high-performance vehicle on account of age alone. That's not what this is about.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:10 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by aamoedo
His mom had to locate this forum, create an account, locate this thread, and solicit advice for HIS car. His mom also had to fight his battle with the dealership. Props to the mom, but I'd question the kid's maturity to be behind the wheel of ANY vehicle. This isn't about age, or having intimate knowledge of your vehicle. It's about lacking any initiative whatsoever to handle a serious problem. I'm generally against denying anyone a high-performance vehicle on account of age alone. That's not what this is about.
no, she didn't. but she is apparently resourceful and sought answers on her own.

in short, you have no idea what they have going on over there. you are assuming everything and it's really none of your business.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Tune an Evo