Notices
ECU Flash

How To Tune an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
no, she didn't. but she is apparently resourceful and sought answers on her own.

in short, you have no idea what they have going on over there. you are assuming everything and it's really none of your business.
She solicited help with the vehicle. I'm trying to save her future headaches down the road as this one obviously took up a bunch of her time and energy, and now probably money. I'm not assuming anything. I drew a rational conclusion from the facts she provided---i.e., she's done everything for her son regarding the problems they've had with the vehicle. She posted it on a public forum and made it everyone's business. My proposed solution that this may not be the right car for her son is entirely reasonable. She's welcome to follow my advice, or not. Same with yours. I'm glad you're not at all concerned that these people have no idea what they purchased, or how to take care of it. I am.

You're right, that's their choice. Any consequences will also be the result of their decision, which may or may not be informed by yours and everyone else's advice. It wasn't an attack, but I'm sure they appreciate you defending them.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 03:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by aamoedo
She solicited help with the vehicle. I'm trying to save her future headaches down the road as this one obviously took up a bunch of her time and energy, and now probably money. I'm not assuming anything. I drew a rational conclusion from the facts she provided---i.e., she's done everything for her son regarding the problems they've had with the vehicle. She posted it on a public forum and made it everyone's business. My proposed solution that this may not be the right car for her son is entirely reasonable. She's welcome to follow my advice, or not. Same with yours. I'm glad you're not at all concerned that these people have no idea what they purchased, or how to take care of it. I am.

You're right, that's their choice. Any consequences will also be the result of their decision, which may or may not be informed by yours and everyone else's advice. It wasn't an attack, but I'm sure they appreciate you defending them.
It's just an Evolution. They will be as fine now as if it were a Honda Civic. Eventually they will get it sorted. They came here for help doing so, which was smart, IMO.
Advising her to sell the car and buy her son a Civic helps in no way and is unreasonable.
I'm not defending them, I'm defending common sense.
Just because you and I can strip our cars down and rebuild them again doesn't mean it's necessary. Evos are not exclusive to mechanics.
It just so happens these people bought a car they liked, found a problem, and sought the internet fit advice on how to fix it. Not if they made they right selection.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All! Just an FYI to someone, I don't need to explain to anyone, but we all work full time here in East side FL. My son bought his own Honda Civic when he was 17 with his own money. I don't buy cars for my kids, they buy their own. When I got online to research this thing, he was actually at school. College, and then went to work after that. So time was of the essence for me---not him. I have three sons and they all have bought their own cars, went to school and work. There 'ain't no buyn' stuff for the youngn's, K!? PFT! wow.

Anyhow, we will get this worked out. IF anyone has a referral for a EVO expert on East Coast FL? That would be great! And, hey! Thanks for the info! Great resource guys!
Sitalotbeach and Mom#1
Old Oct 14, 2015, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure how far these guys are from you but give them a call.

https://www.facebook.com/Automodz-26...?tab=page_info
Old Oct 14, 2015, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He knows what he bought, he is a resourceful guy himself. I'm just concerned. He knows how to buy things on his own because he learned from the best. Moi. I would like to see him save his money and enjoy his car. Not get ripped off, and screwed over. So I thank you for all of your input on here.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 07:25 PM
kaj

I think it's cool that you took time and initiative to help him out.
Good luck!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 08:59 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by aamoedo
I definitely appreciate kaj defending. This site is all about learning and resources, everyone is welcome here. I think it's great if the "kid" wants to pick up a thread his mom gave him to learn about the car. I wish I had got into it earlier.

And if they do have problems, there is silver lining in that as well. Means they get to learn even more about the car. I've learned more about the platform when things break than when things are fine.

My motto: "I don't have to fix it, I get to fix it". It's a positive way to look at things when something bad happens. Turn it into a learning experience and it's worth it.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:52 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by migs647
I definitely appreciate kaj defending. This site is all about learning and resources, everyone is welcome here. I think it's great if the "kid" wants to pick up a thread his mom gave him to learn about the car. I wish I had got into it earlier.

And if they do have problems, there is silver lining in that as well. Means they get to learn even more about the car. I've learned more about the platform when things break than when things are fine.

My motto: "I don't have to fix it, I get to fix it". It's a positive way to look at things when something bad happens. Turn it into a learning experience and it's worth it.
Thank you.

And, fortunately/unfortunately, I've learned a LOT about every car I've ever owned LOL.
In all my years I've had to mod and repair on my own because I couldn't afford to pay someone else.
I'm glad because I've learned a ton and now do it for fun.
The best part is being able to help others and have conversations with line-minded individuals.
I can talk/play/drive cars all day.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know if this has already been covered but I just started reading this thread and cannot see any of the pictures that are being referenced on page 1.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 04:29 PM
kaj

I believe those are from the old version.

I've found lots of tuning threads and video, but none on the current software. I've been trying to figure out how to adjust my boost for months. LOL
Old Nov 7, 2015, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I believe those are from the old version.

I've found lots of tuning threads and video, but none on the current software. I've been trying to figure out how to adjust my boost for months. LOL
What do you mean by "current software"? Ecuflash hasn't changed in years.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:47 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Raptord
What do you mean by "current software"? Ecuflash hasn't changed in years.
Different versions of Tephra, Recompile, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

The same principals from tuning stock maps apply for Tephra maps; difference for fuel and timing is that the maps are bigger in Tephra. As faras boost, tables are indeed named a bit differently, and it works slightly differently. Are you using ECU-controlled boost?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 03:49 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Raptord
The same principals from tuning stock maps apply for Tephra maps; difference for fuel and timing is that the maps are bigger in Tephra. As faras boost, tables are indeed named a bit differently, and it works slightly differently. Are you using ECU-controlled boost?
Except that some tables have different names. For instance, all the video and how-tos I find to tune boost tell me to adjust tables that I don't have.
Yes, ecu controlled.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Except that some tables have different names. For instance, all the video and how-tos I find to tune boost tell me to adjust tables that I don't have.
Yes, ecu controlled.
Hopefully this helps you then

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10647115

Quick Reply: How To Tune an Evo