Break-thru: Reading ACD ECU with EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
sba
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Break-thru: Reading ACD ECU with EcuFlash

USE ONLY ECUFLASH 1.43.3000 VERSION FOR CORRECT WRITING

Today i managed to read out the ACD ECU of a EVO VII and a EVO VIII with OP 2.0 and EcuFlash 1.42

Unfortunately, you cannot read/write this ecu into the car, only on the bench for now. But i think that if it will gain people's curiosity, it is very easy to mod something and tune this ecu directly into the car.

You have to connect to the ECU

1 ground
2 Vcc
1 K-line
1 flashing voltage

Also you have to put ground and Vcc on the OP also. Look on the schematics and you will understand. You also need a steady 12-14 Vcc source.

Download the .xml in the archive into the ...\rommetadata\read templates

Open EcuFlash 1.42 and choose from READ -> ACD ECU.

!!! It will work only with EcuFlash 1.42 and only with OpenPort 2.0 from Tactrix!!!

Until now, i just read the ACD ECU, now i will start trying and verifying writing also.

I believe that ACD-AYC ECU is the same like this, but i have to test further.

Thank you Acamus, for giving me the idea.

Now, that everyone can read his ACD ECU, i hope that you reverse-engineering guys will start and find the maps inside and make the definitions that we need.

S.

Disclaimer:

It is a method that imply some risques. Do it on your own risque!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
schema ACD ECU.zip (81.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sba; Apr 16, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: I have changed the schema for the OBD port
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff. Hopefully someday you will be able to launch an ACD evo at the track on VHT and not cause the TX to push its way out of its case and into the side of the trans, basically destroying everything in the drivetrain in one shot.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cant wait to see future development.

I have a 2.0 cable and 9 if you need any help with testing.
The following users liked this post:
oscar07 (Mar 9, 2020)
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:49 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Yay! I have a spare ACD ECU so I'll try and find some time to start playing with this!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Just sent an email to Colby @ Tactrix asking if there is anything he can do to further this along.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
^win.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

this is def. good news - especially if it will eventually be done w/o removing the acd ecu....I may be upgrading to the OP2.0 sooner than later now.

Great stuff happening all around us
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I noticed the ACD is a H8!!! Though mitsu stopped used them in 2001.

Could someone give some more info on the physical hook up of the ACD and operation?
Might help dissemblers.

Like connected to TPS, RPM, etc? Outputs PWM to control solenoid? Connected to main ecu?

Which table/routine would be most useful to tuners?

(Acamus's script is choking on the nuls (FFFFFFFF) in the Vector Table, I think.)

(Be careful when first flashing these, the 7203Fs are easy to brick, and EcuFlash had issues with them for a while.)
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:27 AM

Yes- let me know if I can do anything to help. I had considered doing the ACD years ago, but I didn't have a working H8 kernel at the time. Since I don't own an Evo, I eventually forgot about it. A couple of comments:

* Your pin numbering of the OBD connector in your image is mirrored, which might confuse some people. Pins 4 and 5 are ground, Pin 7 is the K line, Pin 16 is battery voltage.

* I will need to look at my Evo8 wiring diagrams at work, but there is a possibility that the init line for the ACD goes to OBD plug - it may be possible to do this flashing without any special wiring. I'll check and let you know.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:28 AM
sba
Evolving Member

Ok, i made some testing and the writing is also working perfect. I read and write and read and compare several times to be sure that what i write goes inside the ecu.

No problems until now. Next step is to verify if the Evo IX ACD ECU works the same.

I hope that now people will start reverse-engineer this ECU.

S.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Originally Posted by Ceddy
I noticed the ACD is a H8!!! Though mitsu stopped used them in 2001.

Could someone give some more info on the physical hook up of the ACD and operation?
Might help dissemblers.

Like connected to TPS, RPM, etc? Outputs PWM to control solenoid? Connected to main ecu?

Which table/routine would be most useful to tuners?

(Acamus's script is choking on the nuls (FFFFFFFF) in the Vector Table, I think.)

(Be careful when first flashing these, the 7203Fs are easy to brick, and EcuFlash had issues with them for a while.)
Not really chocking :P
follow the thread for the pinout.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Originally Posted by colby
Yes- let me know if I can do anything to help. I had considered doing the ACD years ago, but I didn't have a working H8 kernel at the time. Since I don't own an Evo, I eventually forgot about it. A couple of comments:

* Your pin numbering of the OBD connector in your image is mirrored, which might confuse some people. Pins 4 and 5 are ground, Pin 7 is the K line, Pin 16 is battery voltage.

* I will need to look at my Evo8 wiring diagrams at work, but there is a possibility that the init line for the ACD goes to OBD plug - it may be possible to do this flashing without any special wiring. I'll check and let you know.
I believe it is on PIN 13
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
sba
Evolving Member

@ Colby: I already done that and the flash voltage doesn't go to this ECU. I looked today all day on the electrical schematics of the Evo 7 and 8. If we want, we just need to route a wire to that pin.

I know that the numbers are mirrored but i told everyone that i put the schematics to connect directly on the pins of the OP.

I will post later all the pin-out of the ACD ECU for people to be easier to dissasembly.

Now, i tell you my experience in tuning ACD ECUs (i talk about MOTEC and GEMS). You only have 6 maps, 2 for every program selected from the button.

One for acceleration periods and one for braking periods with speed vs tps and in the table is the procent for locking the differential.

And a throttle value for 0% TPS and 100% TPS
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acamus
Not really chocking :P
follow the thread for the pinout.
If I use the script, I get every single instruction defined as a function.

Do you get the same?

Quick Reply: Break-thru: Reading ACD ECU with EcuFlash