Notices
ECU Flash

Trying to fix my "PRO" tuned maps (please review my logs and help)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to fix my "PRO" tuned maps (please review my logs and help)

Well, Im pretty sure you guys have seen my previous thread.

Check out this Mivec Map
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=303845

Well, the general consensus about the maps that I was provided by a Pro tuner were flawed (understatement) and could be made alot better. So I've been spending a little time on them to try and fix what I was givin and to make my car perform better.

Before I get started though, Here's a list of my mods...

QTP 3inch Downpipe with E-Cutout (Cutout basically makes the car run on open Downpipe)
Invidia 02 Housing
DejonTool Manual Boost controller
Walbro Fuel Pump
Injen intake w/ upper and lower Intercooler piping
VEI boost gauge

Now, spending time just tuning the timing maps (with help from the tuning guide posted by NJ and Various tuning tips on this site ex:the 7's in the idle load section to smooth Idle) and using the Agressive Mivec Map that JB and NJ provided,... this is what I could come up with.... (Can't really do the fuel maps becuase I dont have a wideband.) (Is there any other way that I could do the tuning using the stock narrowband... Just for now? Or is there a proven map that I can use for a stock fuel system other than a Walbro fuel pump?)

THESE ARE NOT THE MAPS I PAID FOR. THEY ARE ONES MADE BY ME BECAUSE THE ONES I WAS GIVIN WERE NOT SUFFICIENT.

Also I attached a log that I took of these settings.... It I actually retarded the timing in the spot where you see the the 3 knock counts.. I just didn't get the chance to retry the tune because the clutch is slipping now... Lucky I have another that can get put in this week.

Here's the log.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...YMSHPYFppQphdA

Man, this is just not my week....
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Savior1974.zip (10.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by savior1974; Oct 26, 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a lot easier if you use google spreadsheets so you dont need to download a zip file, extract it and open excel.. give it a try. Without looking at the logs tho if you are only having one spot of a little knock and you pulled the timing there, the next step would be to get your AFR correct.. buy a wideband that is easy to log and go for it
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:10 AM

please stop. send mellon 99.00 watch and learn from him.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ or he could continue to learn on his own.

To the OP, get a wideband you really are going to need to start playing with the fuel maps to get the most out of the car in the end. While the really good people on here can get relatively decent tunes done of the narrowband stock sensor your better off getting the wideband.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 02:38 AM

U definitely need to get a wideband man. I got the LC-1 and I am quite happy with it. It is relatively inexpensive and works great.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
First, you will need a wideband. Think of it as a long term investment that you can use not only on the Evo but on future turbo cars.

Second, try this timing map. You are hiting negative timing cell under peak boost/torque and that is causing power loss. This map should work since it hit the same top end timing that your log is showing.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to fix my "PRO" tuned maps (please review my logs and help)-tim_savior.gif  
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
First, you will need a wideband. Think of it as a long term investment that you can use not only on the Evo but on future turbo cars.

Second, try this timing map. You are hiting negative timing cell under peak boost/torque and that is causing power loss. This map should work since it hit the same top end timing that your log is showing.
if he's in cali he's tuned for 91 not 93 the 91 tunes i've seen usually have negative timing there. i've never tuned anyone elses car it's just what i've noticed looking at other tunes
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
if he's in cali he's tuned for 91 not 93 the 91 tunes i've seen usually have negative timing there. i've never tuned anyone elses car it's just what i've noticed looking at other tunes
Naji tunes for 91 too...

Last edited by codgi; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I like watching you guys help each other.

My car started its life with me with a tune from hell.
So I know how some help can be a lifesaver.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
get a wideband. I'm using the Zeitronix and like it very much. You never know, it maybe running too lean or rich that caused the knock and you retarded the timing may not be the optimum.

Too much timings retarded on your map at peak load is kind of unusual. I'm learning like you too but the more you get in the more you learn so enjoy.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madmax4499
please stop. send mellon 99.00 watch and learn from him.

Please tell me you joking? At least let him try if he is willing to learn....
If all he wanted to do was pay for help and not give a S$%t about advancing his knowledge he would be on a Honda forum and not here.

Everyone is right man, your shooting in the dark without a wideband. Get that and go from there. My first EVO add on's were gauges.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you arent knocking man, the knock occurs right at the point where your throttle goes from 100% to 10%. That what you call phantom knock, the sensor is picking up the sudden drop in acceleration of the car. dont worry about those.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You should try to have smoother timing than in your map posted here. For each load column try to keep your timing from going up, down, up, down. Instead of 5,6,5,6,7 you should try 5,5,6,6,7 for example. Timing should be low at peak torque (usually in the 3500-4500 region) and climb from there.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
NJ's timing map is a very very very very good starting point (do you catch my meaning?) and dependent on what overall octane (if you mix and go higher) it should work well with 91 and more than moderate boost. On Shell 92 and 11.5:1 AFR it will work with 24-25psi on a stock turbo.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
I tune on 91 octane as well. I have noticed that negative timing has the greatest impact on power loss at peak boost. It is really amazing how much power the Evo loses when it hits negative timing at peak boost. That is why I avoid negative timing at all cost at peak boost. It tends to kill your torque.

Quick Reply: Trying to fix my "PRO" tuned maps (please review my logs and help)