Notices
ECU Flash

GM 3.5 BAR MAP Sensor -vs- JDM Map sensor

Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:30 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
GM 3.5 BAR MAP Sensor -vs- JDM Map sensor

Can the GM sensor be used in place of the JDM one and still work on the stock ECU? I'm guessing some of the settings would need to be tailored for this sensor, but I'm just looking for an alternative to the $125 JDM one!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search motorola map sensor.

Some one from this board used a cheaper motorola sensor instead of the JDM one.

Basically all MAP sensors output a linear 5v signal, this means you can use any sensor you want. The only thing that will differ are the calibration settings needed in the ECU
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
But you cant run Psi based boost control with the GM/motorola.........
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
But you cant run Psi based boost control with the GM/motorola.........
Why not, as long as you properly adjust the scaling values in the ECU I think you could.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Why not, as long as you properly adjust the scaling values in the ECU I think you could.
Becuase mrfred said he wouldn't develop psi based boost control for other sensors, only the JDM MAP.

Maybe you can make it work....
Old Oct 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

I already have a JDM map sensor and I use his code for direct boost control.
Fortunately his direct boost control mod does not require downloading a new rom like tephra's knock path does. You just have to add some new tables and all, which means we can see all of his work.

While Mr. Fred won't directly support other sensors (understandably so) I would think that since he has already done the work to find the needed memory addresses and create the new tables, I think its just a mater of entering the proper values for your sensor.

ultimately, I agree with you on the original posters question, in saying that if you want to be able to do direct boost control then get a JDM sensor, it will be far easier than trying to reverse engineer Mr. Fred's amazing work.

Last edited by dudical26; Oct 29, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

I already have a JDM map sensor and I use his code for direct boost control.
Fortunately his direct boost control mod does not require downloading a new rom like tephra's knock path does. You just have to add some new tables and all, which means we can see all of his work.

While Mr. Fred won't directly support other sensors (understandably so) I would think that since he has already done the work to find the needed memory addresses and create the new tables, I think its just a mater of entering the proper values for your sensor.

ultimately, I agree with you on the original posters question, in saying that if you want to be able to do direct boost control then get a JDM sensor, it will be far easier than trying to reverse engineer Mr. Fred's amazing work.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking, that someone could figure it out for other sensors. Anyways, if you just wanna log boost, get whatever sensor fits your wallet.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend the JDM for the mere facts that it seems to be the popularly supported MAP sensor, it is a direct replacement with no cutting or soldering wires, and it takes a simple flash to get it to work. For $40 more then the GM I would gladly spend the extra money for those features.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:48 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya, just to be clear, I'm not looking to undermine mrfred's work, just curious if it could be adapted to other sensors. In the end, its about reliability. These JDM MAP sensors are hard to get, GM MAP sensors are easy to get. If I get the JDM sensor working on my car and it fails for some reason, I don't want to have my car be down for a month until I get a new one, plain and simple.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ that's why you keep a spare, I know I do . I mean this is besides the point that all you do is put back in the stock USDM sensor, reset the old stock BCS tables and try not to rag on the car until you get back the JDM sensor (assuming you are using it for boost control....if its just logging then its even simpler)

But honestly I doubt the JDM MAP sensor's failure rate is much higher than the USDM's one...so the probability of it failing is about the same. I haven't heard of too many of either failing?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

The JDM MAP sensors are OEM stuff so they should be pretty reliable.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The JDM MAP sensors are OEM stuff so they should be pretty reliable.
I agree. Aren't they made by Denso? I cant remember but either way I have never really heard of anyone having to replace a MAP sensor.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anyone is looking for jdm map sensors, we got a few laying around as well. pls pm.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
if anyone is looking for jdm map sensors, we got a few laying around as well. pls pm.
I wish I had know that a couple of weeks ago. My USDM Map failed, and I ended up getting one from carquest since I couldnt find a JDM. damn the luck
Old Nov 2, 2007, 05:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

How much was it at carquest?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM 3.5 BAR MAP Sensor -vs- JDM Map sensor