Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Remember he has S2 cams, they are bigger than FP4r’s. His compressor efficiency is probably below 50% and turbo is over speeding bigtime = HOT CHARGE TEMPS
Old Jun 12, 2018, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I have an era 4” ic. Car has full bolt ons. Yes I’m running or spiking 31 psi and it holds about 26. It has a forge wastegate i think? Bought it with it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 04:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Most people run low boost on pump gas if you don't have meth/water injection. Its a good rule of thumb on your investment is to be conservative imo. You are 10-20K into this at this point. Ethanol buys you some safety but things can only be run so hard until they break.

I'm only trying to be helpful here. If you are new to tuning its a good idea to lower the boost and get everything dialed in. Then bring it up slowly and back it off some. Again, a dyno is a useful tool to see whats happening . Its measuring how much power and how smooth the combination is running. Even then its one pull, one day.. things can change with heat, fuel and 4 people in the car after cheeseburgers. Once you understand each facet of the car, tuning and limits then explore the limits carefully.

Less is more in the end.

Last edited by Abacus; Jun 12, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Absolutely abacus. My tuner tuned my car in 3 pulls. Come to find out cel was set to flash at 17 counts of knock. Next tuner tuned it in 2 pulls. Then when I installed gsc s2 cams he couldn’t figure out why it was running so rich saying it was my fault installing cams wrong. Made me go over everything again. That’s where I said enough and started trying it myself. That’s where I got help from here and still learning
The number of pulls it takes to tune a car is not a metric for the quality of the tune. I've watched the English racing guys tune MANY cars in 3-4 pulls, and even some in as little two. It's a matter of experience, and having good base maps.

In your case, there was clearly an issue with the tuner. But that is not always the case.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed but I was on maf and switched to speed density for him to tune so he started fresh and did 3 pulls. Now that I understand and dig in to it I see it was knocking like a fat girl at McDonald’s door trying to get in and cel light was set to flash after 17 counts of knock. I agree with everything being said here don’t get me wrong. I’m still learning and haven’t had much time with the car due to work but I’ll take my chances all day before giving it to another tooner. I want to learn. I think it’s interesting and I like it. Thank god for this forum and twinscroll who has been my (yoda) lol inside joke! throughout this whole a this whole situation. I listen and analyze all advice and take what I need from it so keep it coming.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The number of pulls it takes to tune a car is not a metric for the quality of the tune. I've watched the English racing guys tune MANY cars in 3-4 pulls, and even some in as little two. It's a matter of experience, and having good base maps.

In your case, there was clearly an issue with the tuner. But that is not always the case.
Yes it’s a matter of experience for sure, but there is NOBODY who can tune a heavily modified vehicle correctly in four pulls, starting from scratch. That said, I have pulled tunes from a couple of cars tuned from the same shop (A very large trusted tuner) and was appalled to find they were identical tunes, I mean absolutely nothing was different. Both cars had the same injectors and 35R Turbo, but different cams, and intakes. Both cars were on SD, and both cars had the CEL flashing like a streaker running down Main Street. I was told by the vehicle owner when he got his tune it never even hit the dyno because there was a “more important” car strapped up. The tuner simply loaded up the tune and made a couple street pulls and called it good. Both cars idled at 13:1 afr.
IMO a true racer should have some general knowledge of tuning and be able to navigate the tuning software, be able to make subtle changes when need be. Get your base tune done at the dyno and tweak it if needed. When your car is being tuned be attentive and ask questions. If your tuner is annoyed by your inquiries and spends very little time on your tune I would take it somewhere else and have it double checked. Both of these cars had WAY too much timing and were time bombs IMO.

Thanks for the acknowledgment Young Jedi

Last edited by 2winscroll; Jun 13, 2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Lol. The thing is most people think tuning is some sort of black magic. For some reason almost all tuners let it go to their head because people worship them the more known they get. I know a very famous guy who learned to tune on my cars in early 2000s and he was truly an awesome guy. We were great friends at one time. Now a days he has an army of *** kissers and he has changed as a person because it goes to their heads. Back in the days at least with this guy tuning took time and my cars drove like stock. One making 600whp and the other 500whp. This is when 600whp was a crazy amount of power. Asking a tuner questions? No way that’s frowned upon here. You are expected to pay up, shut up, be thankful, and worship the fool who just got you more power but has your car knocking like me at the bathroom door needing to take a **** while my daughter is inside doing her makeup and talking on the phone. I want to learn to do it myself just like everything else with the car.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Lol. The thing is most people think tuning is some sort of black magic. For some reason almost all tuners let it go to their head because people worship them the more known they get. I know a very famous guy who learned to tune on my cars in early 2000s and he was truly an awesome guy. We were great friends at one time. Now a days he has an army of *** kissers and he has changed as a person because it goes to their heads. Back in the days at least with this guy tuning took time and my cars drove like stock. One making 600whp and the other 500whp. This is when 600whp was a crazy amount of power. Asking a tuner questions? No way that’s frowned upon here. You are expected to pay up, shut up, be thankful, and worship the fool who just got you more power but has your car knocking like me at the bathroom door needing to take a **** while my daughter is inside doing her makeup and talking on the phone. I want to learn to do it myself just like everything else with the car.
The Petroleum Priests
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

HAha
Old Jun 16, 2018, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Afrs were 11.2 - 11.4. I did 2 pulls and both showed knock. One more than the other. Adjusted timing to what I posted and it went away.
31 psi is a buttload of boost on stock turbo it prob is being overspun and not being efficient causinh extreme egt

I would target 27 to 28 psi and run timing

You should be able to see 10 to 12 degrees of timing and 2 to 3 degrees at peak tq
Old Jun 16, 2018, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

So if I lower boost and raise timing a bit it should make the same power with lower egts?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CT9A PR
31 psi is a buttload of boost on stock turbo it prob is being overspun and not being efficient causinh extreme egt

I would target 27 to 28 psi and run timing

You should be able to see 10 to 12 degrees of timing and 2 to 3 degrees at peak tq
overspeeding a turbo doesn’t cause extreme egt. It will cause your intake charge temperatures to skyrocket since you are running in a very inefficient area for your compressor. If you have an aftermarket IC that helps a bit. Excessive egt’s are caused by extremely rich mixtures and running very low timing. How fast the turbo is spinning has nothing to do with egt’s.
The following users liked this post:
CT9A PR (Jun 19, 2018)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I thought since it was a little flamethrower it would cause high egts. Good to know. I added a little timing and had to richen up the fuel map up top because i got a little bit of knock. After richening up it cleared knock but this is all it would take without knocking. Obviously the fuel map doesnt reflect actual afr. This yielded 11.1 afr or so across the board. Virtual dyno showed about a 10hp or so increase. This was done at night and temps were 84f here in tampa, fl. Its too hot. Check it out.

Last edited by nor11384; Jun 18, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
You are learning well done.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you. Had a good teacher and great info on these forums.

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps