Notices
ECU Flash

Help: Vista OS OK?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help: Vista OS OK?

I'm about to buy a laptop and it will have Vista if I buy it today or tomorrow. I can get one with XP but it will take an additional couple of weeks. So far from what I've seen, folks with Vista have been able to iron out all their problems with ecuflash and evoscan. Right???
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only issue was installing the tactrix driver. Just plugging the cable in vista could not find the drivers. The reason being. I am using ecuflash 1.29 and do not want to switch to a new version. SO I emailed myself the 1.29 and installed it fine no problems but the drivers did not install. I had to download v1.34 to get the drivers and then I put my v1.29 inside that folder and everything is good. Evoscan and ecuflash are working no problem. I havent installed logworks yet so I cant say anything about that.

A buddy of mine split the hard drive half xp for car stuff and half vista for everything else
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
vista is junk, id get xp or find the xp cd

Vista is suppose to be user friendly but its anything but that, If you only expect to look at websites and use MS word, then its ok but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone that is using it for more then just to browse the net.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

What about Linux? Ive been debating on switching to this.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get XP wait a year until vista isn't so bad
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have any issues with Vista with the newer openport 1.3 cable and newer versions of EcuFlash. Found all drivers properly, the only issue I've had with Vista so far is trying to update the protocols.xml file for LogWorks 2.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Vista is teh sux...but we will eventually have to migrate, but untill that day happens get xp pro. Dell small busineess still allows you to configure vostro or latitudes with xp pro.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
What about Linux? Ive been debating on switching to this.
Speaking strictly in terms of Evo tuning software:

No EcuFlash support, a long-time complaint of mine. (If Colby would release the source publicly, you'd probably see a port in very short order.)

You also don't have EvoScan (commercial product; I can understand it not being available here) or MitsuLogger (pretty bound to .NET, not sure if there's any hope of getting this working with Mono). One option is libmut; while raw, it may do the job; I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it yet.

Tactrix drivers are certainly available, so that's not a problem.

All of this can be solved by running XP under VMWare, but if you're going to do that, you might as well stick with something you're generally comfortable with (I'm a Linux guy, so the effort of getting things working here is worth it to me ).

To the original poster: Vista worked fine for me for the short period of time I spent with it. EcuFlash, EvoScan, and MitsuLogger all worked, although you should definitely be aware of some of the differences between XP and Vista, specifically in the areas of filesystem security (search around for "LocalStore" application issues, where apps assume they'll have permission to write to "C:\Program Files", and data ends up getting written to your home directory instead) and the new privilege model.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

what are these for EcuFlash, EvoScan, and MitsuLogger, sorry, but i do not know. i have vista, and i could download one of them, and see what happens but i need to know what are they used for. thanks
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Normanruben
what are these for EcuFlash, EvoScan, and MitsuLogger, sorry, but i do not know. i have vista, and i could download one of them, and see what happens but i need to know what are they used for. thanks
Not being funny, but have you read any of the other posts in this forum? The forum is called ECUflash and there are a couple of helpful stickies at the top.

MB
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input burgers22, i wouldn't be asking if i had read them, but thanks, i will check on that.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

I am running the following car tuning/logging/scanning software on my Windows Vista laptop flawlessly:

ECUFlash
WinPEP (Dynojet Software)
Zeitronix Logger
Data LogLab
EvoScan
Scantech
Mitsulogger
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Oh come on I bet most ofyou havent tried Vista. Ive been working with it and beta testing for 18 months and it just takes a little to get used to. Works fine.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by logic
Speaking strictly in terms of Evo tuning software:

No EcuFlash support, a long-time complaint of mine. (If Colby would release the source publicly, you'd probably see a port in very short order.)
Have you asked for it directly? Curious as I recall a recent OSX port being tested by someone.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by codymac
Have you asked for it directly?
No, but until there's a public GPL release (as promised last year on his "Open Source Logging / Tuning / Flashing" forum), I'm not interested in contributing my efforts; it's more productive to concentrate on a reimplementation, or extending Enginuity.

Quick Reply: Help: Vista OS OK?