ECU does add timing...discuss

Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What clutch are you using?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah if you go through the ROM there is another 2 or 3 ign tables which arn't defined in EcuFlash XML's.

Actually the whole ign routine is very complex, not just a case of selecting the advance from a map... I just don't have the time (or the patience) to document it properly.

For our purposes playing with the 1/3 ign tables is "good enough".

However it would be nice to find out why ppl like allupo (sp?) wern't getting the timing advance the requested..
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Went from a totally worn out and broken stocker to an Exedy Twin HD now. Thanx for the insight David.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
cruise map portions in non-cruise areas? I'm not following.. ahha
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

ya people have always said map 2 is for normal, #1 for cold start, #3 for problems.
I never bought into this and from my experience made more sense that 1 map is for cold start, then 1 base map and the other is the additional added when no problems are found by the ecu.
I mathematically thought I soved it but it eventually did not work,
but I think map 2 is the base map, then the ECU does its thing and if it determines its ok it adds #1 map to the #2 map in a mathematicaly way, slowly ramping up.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

The map that you refer to you I was calling the cruise map...sorry I spose I should have defined the terms. Non Cruise areas would be last load column the car sees, for instance lets say 270ish. Its an odd concept that probably doesnt work, but one of the 99 mistakes I intend to make on the way to 100% coming to terms with this concept.

Lemmonhead that is covered as part of the MIVEC advance/retard based on load relative to TPS/Load/etc. This is actually different just in case that wasnt clear before.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
oh I understand now, editing the low det ign advance table I was referring to by adding timing in the non-cruise areas.

Yea I suppose so. I haven't even messed around with the table yet to really know though.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Did you look at his log? It is not at WOT.

As far as I know the 3 timing maps are linked to the Mivec @ WOT on the 9. Making them all the same takes this dynamic timing change between all 3 maps out.
Ok I'm lazy you're right I did not look..I did now, but if load log is close to 2byte looks like he is in closed loop timing advance. I've seen timing in mine advace up to 40* at 40% load . There must be a table for limits on this somewhere.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

All 3 of those values are 2 byte. The car is also running in open loop (TPS and Load table altered). The tables have been mentioned but this isnt so much about if they're there or not but what they can do for us
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Went from a totally worn out and broken stocker to an Exedy Twin HD now. Thanx for the insight David.
If you think you have issues with the twin HD, don't try a triple carbon on steel. 36 counts in vacuum anyone?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

In non computer controlled cars, vacuum advance was used to extend the burn cycle even longer than what was set by the mechanical advance(in our case timing maps) so that all the heat energy gave more more power yield per measure of fuel and more mpg. It may be the same concept on our evos but computer controlled
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

I thought vacuum advance was to change the timing based on RPM and load, i.e. the same function our maps perform.

Has anyone tried to pinpoint where timing advance is generated in the ECU (I assume the MUT request for logging points to this) and actually derive the equation from the assembly code? I know it would be a royal PITA, but it would answer all of these questions.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

I am glad that this has generated some interest. Sooner or later it will get disassembled, but the vacuum advance allusion (while technically accurate) isnt what I am curious about this doing. It might serve a similar function to that as well but thats not what I am concerned with
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed this myself, I see more timing than is in that load cell, especialy when logging at part throttle, lighter loads.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
However it would be nice to find out why ppl like allupo (sp?) wern't getting the timing advance the requested..
Yep, I'm just investigating and found this thread
I will try a less aggressive MIVEC next.

Btw, with low det cruise map do you mean this?

Attached Thumbnails ECU does add timing...discuss-lowdetmap.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU does add timing...discuss