Notices
ECU Flash

Having EvoScan 2.0 Maptracer Problems? Read Here.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having EvoScan 2.0 Maptracer Problems? Read Here.

Initally I had problems getting the MapTracer in V 2.0 to work. Please note that I have an 03 ROM ID 9417008. Some others with different ROM IDs had no problems or may have different issues.

Here is how I got it to work.

XML Issues

When it asks to load the xml load the xml from the evoscan directory. Do not use your xml from the ecuflash directory!!!

Program Files/Evoscan/Evoscan 2.0/ROMS/*choose your rom ID*

If your ROM has mods (Tephra, Mrfred, etc.) the rom xml in the evoscan ROM folder may not have what you need in terms of mods. So you need to look elsewhere for your xml.

*IMPORTANT* If you try to use the xml from the ecuflash application you must strip out the stuff after the "address". If I did not do this I got an error. This is a major PITA even if you are good with search and replace in a text/xml editor but necessary...In the next evoscan version I hope that Evo4Mad corrects this parsing problem.

Example

Before:
<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Misc" address="1680" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

After:
<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Misc" address="1680" />

(If you have an 03 ROM ID 94170008 use laakness' xml to get the alternate maps used in the Tephra v4 mod here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...8&postcount=37 Don't forget to change the file extension to xml from txt.)

2-byte RPM Mod

The next problem I had was the formula used to calculate the 2byte RPM in evoscan 2.0 was wrong. You will need to change it. It was calculating some really high RPM numbers--more in line with a Formula 1 engine--which was putting all of the maptracer data literally off the chart. This made it seem that the maptracing was not rendering!!!

Original:

31.25x

Change to:

1000*x/256

Hope this helps!

Last edited by chmodlf; Jan 24, 2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I'm not too sure I understand it all just yet. I will give it a try, though. The 2-byte RPM part will help me most of all. Thanks again.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:14 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread -- I've searched but this is the closest thread to my question.

I find it very hard to find out how to use some of the EvoScan features, as there is no documentation :-\ (if there is documentation please point me in the right direction!)

Whenever I go into the Map Tracer part of EvoScan, I can bring up my xml file and log, but nothing shows up in the top half area where it's supposed to "trace".

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I need to log in order for the Map Tracer to work properly? Or, what I need to do to "run" the trace like in the old standalone Map Tracer program....

--nano
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
funny it is good that you did for me cause it solved my problem. 2.5 doesn't have a 94170015 version of this trimmed xml. so to test, instead of trimming every def I deleted all the tables except for the high/low ignitions and fuel maps. They are already "trim" and woohoo it works.

chance are nothing is showing up because either your xml are wrong, or ... please don't get insulted, but are you actually selecting, on the left side, data to display? usually when you first bring up the map tracer all the data is unchecked. you have to check the data you want to see map traced.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jumperalex
funny it is good that you did for me cause it solved my problem. 2.5 doesn't have a 94170015 version of this trimmed xml. so to test, instead of trimming every def I deleted all the tables except for the high/low ignitions and fuel maps. They are already "trim" and woohoo it works.

chance are nothing is showing up because either your xml are wrong, or ... please don't get insulted, but are you actually selecting, on the left side, data to display? usually when you first bring up the map tracer all the data is unchecked. you have to check the data you want to see map traced.
no insult legitimate question! Yes I am selecting stuff, i tried selecting timing advance, but nothing appears over on the right....

What are the proper things to log in order to get data to show on the right for fuel/ignition.

Thanks for the reply btw, I really appreciate the help!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

at a min, RPM, Load, and then either timing, 02, and/or AFR Map ... though I've never actually used the AFR Map data point so ymmv.

post a screen cap of what you're seeing so we can be sure that is appears at least that your xml and rom are being read correctly.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Glad my original post could be of some help. The problem is in the way that evoscan parses the xml. If there are any comments or extra parameters evoscan will error.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:26 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nano
Sorry to revive an old thread -- I've searched but this is the closest thread to my question.

I find it very hard to find out how to use some of the EvoScan features, as there is no documentation :-\ (if there is documentation please point me in the right direction!)

Whenever I go into the Map Tracer part of EvoScan, I can bring up my xml file and log, but nothing shows up in the top half area where it's supposed to "trace".

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I need to log in order for the Map Tracer to work properly? Or, what I need to do to "run" the trace like in the old standalone Map Tracer program....

--nano
you have to actually load 3 files in EvoScan 2.5. The datalog (Excel xls file), the corresponding evo based map (xml file) and the actual map of your car (hex or bin file).

You can use the based map 0015 from EcuFlash if it's not in EvoScan. I was doing it for my friends evo IX no problem. Maybe I misunderstanding but that is how it works for me using Map-Tracer feature in EvoScan.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks guys for your help. Ima log tonight a lil if I have time and see if i can get it working. I wasn't logging RPM so.....thats prob the problem? I was focusing on boost error etc and didnt have RPMs clicked.

Will post my findings! Thanks for your help so far!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

G20 ... there might be some variation, but the 0015 xml in ecuflash never worked for me until I stripped everything out of except the fuel and timing tables. Extreme compared to chmodlf's recommendation but I figured why clean up every table when none are used. Perhaps my problem is all the added tables to my XML, but it just never parsed correctly in EvoScan.

nano ... yeah logging RPM is pretty much not optional. Afterall how would you know where to make changes? Load is another if you ever expect to know where to make changes in any of the tables.