Notices
ECU Flash

Highest whp on stock ECU

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mellon really has the stock ECU down pat but by no means is it catching the AEM.. Im not even a huge fan of the AEM as compared to the Haltech E8 or e11.. The ecu is only as good as the man behind the keyboard.. simple as that..

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
The ecu is only as good as the man behind the keyboard.. simple as that..

Mike
quoted for truth
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just dont think the stock ECU is going to be much of a contraint anymore. Sure the AEM and Haltech (hate them..horrid customer service) have greater resolution but thats something that can be increased in the stocker as well. My fav about the stock ECU is the knock control over ceretain stand-alone choices. Whatever gets the job done though, I just prefer to save some pennies.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

Mellon really has the stock ECU down pat but by no means is it catching the AEM..
Mike

what's there to catch Mike? The stock ecu has better driveability, same hp (see typical buschur built cars pump gas traps vs my 135 on 93 octane) and I can pass emissions. What remains to be seen is how I fare with more boost at race gas, stay tuned, it's coming
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
what's there to catch Mike? The stock ecu has better driveability, same hp (see typical buschur built cars pump gas traps vs my 135 on 93 octane) and I can pass emissions. What remains to be seen is how I fare with more boost at race gas, stay tuned, it's coming
Im not a tuner but i will say for 95% of the EVO community the Stock ecu will work sufficiently enough.. rather than tell you what it can and cant do ill ask cause you know better than me..

can the stock ecu..

Antilag 20-30psi from the hole on a 42r??

Boost by gear / speed??

Run 5 bar map sensor??

Run 1600's with a decent idle quality??

Run 8 injectors??

Handle 12mm lift cams??

Can knock control be disabled completely??

These are all things i would need personally.. Again i am not a tuner and i dont know the 1st thing about the stock ecu software.. Just asking out of curiosity.. You have accomplished a lot with the stock ecu , i am not disputing that one bit at all.. When i see a stock ecu evo run 8's @ 160+ mph then ill give in and say the stock ecu has caught up the PnP units.. til then i believe its inferior..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 10, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

i thought they had boost by gear on stock ecus....
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SOEuro
i thought they had boost by gear on stock ecus....

Not sure thats why i asked.. im sure chris will chime in and answer..
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did this thread get moved too??
Old Nov 10, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im not a tuner but i will say for 95% of the EVO community the Stock ecu will work sufficiently enough.. rather than tell you what it can and cant do ill ask cause you know better than me..

can the stock ecu..

Antilag 20-30psi from the hole on a 42r?? Not sure on this one
Boost by gear / speed?? yep
Run 5 bar map sensor?? Yes you can, just needs some code tweaking thoughRun 1600's with a decent idle quality?? I'd imagine so at this point.

Run 8 injectors?? Not yet but I bet we could if we all had to make it happen.

Handle 12mm lift cams?? I'm sure we could as well

Can knock control be disabled completely?? Yes, and now we are making a 3D 'ignore' knock map with adjustable ignore knock sums for each cell.

These are all things i would need personally.. Again i am not a tuner and i dont know the 1st thing about the stock ecu software.. Just asking out of curiosity.. You have accomplished a lot with the stock ecu , i am not disputing that one bit at all.. When i see a stock ecu evo run 8's @ 160+ mph then ill give in and say the stock ecu has caught up the PnP units.. til then i believe its inferior..

Mike
So you run 1600cc injectors as your primaries and run another set of injectors as your secondary fuel management now? Ok Mellon, a challenge has been made..now get in the 8's! no rush....but you have until Friday
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:33 AM
Account Disabled

most of those can be done Mike but not all, so for you and a small percentage of people the stock ecu will not be sufficient.

the statement in particular that I disagree with was "Mellon really has the stock ECU down pat but by no means is it catching the AEM"

there's been major strides in the stock ecu knowledge in the past year and it's getting better by the day as we learn more about it. The line between stock ecu and standalone is becoming blurred. I don't think I'll be running 8's on the stock ecu/mas but I do think I'll be running 9's soon.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there's been major strides in the stock ecu knowledge in the past year and it's getting better by the day as we learn more about it. The line between stock ecu and standalone is becoming blurred. I don't think I'll be running 8's on the stock ecu/mas but I do think I'll be running 9's soon.
I would agree.

I also believe 9's on stock ECU is entirely possible.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

most of those can be done Mike but not all, so for you and a small percentage of people the stock ecu will not be sufficient.

the statement in particular that I disagree with was "Mellon really has the stock ECU down pat but by no means is it catching the AEM"

I have to agree 9's look to be possible.. Your the one to do if so.. Still its no where near catching a Standalone Ecu..
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Didn't Bushcur run 8s on a 1G ECU and a VPC like 8 years ago?

I'm thinking that if a VPC of all things can run in the 8s, a hacked up factory ECU with some half assed MAP code could easily dip into the 8s, if that's what they were after.

The guys hacking the ECU are more interested in how to make a usable ECU that works better for 99.9% of the people out there though and are not trying to cater to the 0.1% that should just go buy an AEM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still its no where near catching a Standalone Ecu..

We will make you a believer in time.

Think of it this way, once we understand the full code of the ECU, we can rewrite it to our hearts content, leaving OEM stuff in, but rewriting the stuff we want to.

I believe that we will have a OEM Mitsubishi AEM soon.

Mike: "Try to see the truth; There is no spoon".
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
if you have spent the money required for a 8second car then a couple of extra grand for a standalone isn't going to hurt

Quick Reply: Highest whp on stock ECU