Notices
ECU Flash

Highest whp on stock ECU

Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highest whp on stock ECU

Just as the title says, I've searched and found slightly over 500 done on the stock ecu. What is the highest some one has put down. no gm maf... stock MAF and ECU- thanks
Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duby
Just as the title says, I've searched and found slightly over 500 done on the stock ecu. What is the highest some one has put down. no gm maf... stock MAF and ECU- thanks
I'd be curious about this too, but I highly doubt the driveaility would be as good as an EMS. I think my EMS was the best $1500 I spent on my car, but then again I've never driven a heavily modified Evo on the stock computer.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can tune the stock ECU on a GM MAF or with no MAF at all with just a translator.

You should be able to make good power for sure... but resolution and lagginess becomes a problem. I don't know off the top of my head what the record is, but I would say 600whp is probably achievable, but not with stock MAF in place...
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on who's dyno was used. It's common knowledge that there is a huge variance in dyno numbers, even for the same car. OKIX made 445 whp on Buschurs Mustang Dyno, but I have no doubt that it would go over 500 on other dynos that are used and quoted on this site. Too subjective to really make that determination. I know of at least 2 or 3 that have dyno'd 550+, but not sure about the stock maf part. If shamelesscookie would get going, he'd be right up there too.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have seen 608 out of the stock ECU on my buddies evo 8 on a mustang dyno.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
This is one of those sticky subjects about what exactly consitutes stock ecu. Is it just the ECU and stock MAF, a MAF that has been scaled in, the speed density mod, a piggyback, etc. Like Tom said (9sec9) it depends on the dyno as well. On ice my G-Tech says I make 700whp on a Green on pump...okay so you get my point...I dont really but it all depends on the measuring equipment being the same or as close as possible. There is no theoretical limit to what it can do depending what compromises you want to make as far as whats stock and whats not.

I think a MAFT or MAFT Pro and then using the stock ECU to tune is not cheating but that might be cheating to someone else.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just wondering because after me recent build I'm broke and don't have money for a stand alone... Sure I can wait but seriously who would want to do that? my mods are a fully built 2.3 stroker w/ a Garret GT35r(S cover) gsc280s and all other supporting mods. I'm hoping I can hit at least 550whp on a dynojet until I get aem or v-con... any other recommendations to beat the system for a little?? (ecu+ w/ gm maf or just a gm maf to get by for now?) this would be on Sean Ivey's dyno, as that's where I plan on getting tuned.

I just want to get to the track and get some #s
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

great thread....also very interested.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The only thing that happens is you only get the last load column to tune. This is less than optimum since it means (and you should definitely do this or have it done) is only tune that last column for max horsepower. Everything between when the clips starts (smoggy was 23psi I think) and that point suffers from only having the values for max power though.

You could look into picking up a used MAFT or MAFT Pro from a DSMer or something possibly. Hard to say on that one.

JB
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

bump, thatnks for the info so far...
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting thread. Off topic but, nice car color Duby.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

going by your first question of max power on stock MAF/ECU 550-600 is going to be definitely pushing it to the oem MAF's limit.
That kind of power you are running into many obsticles.
the honeycomb in the maf being sucked in, the map tables not having the resolution for higher rpm and higher load associated with big turbo/high boost applications.
If you do a GM maf or MAF-T you can probably push it quite a bit more.

I would say the number 1 thing when building a car is the tune. it can make or break the setup you have. So going full out on the build (assuming plans to do 600+hp/8-9krpm+) then I believe at this point standalone ems is the way to go.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_domination
Interesting thread. Off topic but, nice car color Duby.
Good looks bro

BBYs gotta stick together!!

Last edited by Duby; Mar 14, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
going by your first question of max power on stock MAF/ECU 550-600 is going to be definitely pushing it to the oem MAF's limit.
That kind of power you are running into many obsticles.
the honeycomb in the maf being sucked in, the map tables not having the resolution for higher rpm and higher load associated with big turbo/high boost applications.
If you do a GM maf or MAF-T you can probably push it quite a bit more.

I would say the number 1 thing when building a car is the tune. it can make or break the setup you have. So going full out on the build (assuming plans to do 600+hp/8-9krpm+) then I believe at this point standalone ems is the way to go.
I figured... I'm looking for exactly that 550-600 for now. That build sucked out every penny and more... negative 244 and another bunch of 35 dollar overdrafts fees to make it worse. I got cought up in the build and now i just want to be able to drive it for a while and then do a stand alone with a smim and push it over 600 thanks for the help though, It's what I thought but I want to see what it can do now. I'm impatient.. we all would be, lets not joke
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

bump... any other input?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Highest whp on stock ECU