Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Well if you know the V into the ecu is changing, but in your log it is not, then i would guess its probably the evoscan formula that needs tweaking. Try and insert a formula that just gives you the raw voltage on that input and once that is working try building out the formula to convert that to your afr number. Request ID "3C" function "0.01952*x"
this will give me raw voltage values when i start logging ? Do i have to put any number or value in place of " X " ?
What would be gauge min and gauge max values or it will log any how if i dont fill in those fields ?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
this will give me raw voltage values when i start logging ? Do i have to put any number or value in place of " X " ?
What would be gauge min and gauge max values or it will log any how if i dont fill in those fields ?
The X will be the numeric value that the ECU is sending for request "3C". 3C should be the mut address for the stored value of the rear oxygen sensor input. That formula will convert that number into a voltage. If you look in evoscan there is actually already an entry for this by default labeled "Oxygen Sensor #2". What it gives you is a raw voltage, you can interpret that yourself in your logs, right a formula in excel to convert it, or get the formula right in evoscan to convert it there.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:34 PM

Getting super specific Your logger sends 3C to the ecu. This tells the ecu that we want the value stored at the 3C address in the mut table, it then responds with the stored value, which will in this case be one byte. A byte can represent the number 0-255. The input associated with 3C (rear 02 sensor) has a 0-5v(ish) input range. That means the ecu can only respond with 255 different voltages (8-bit precision). If you devide 5 by 255 you get 0.019607 which is really close to that formula in evoscan. The evoscan one probably being more accurate because the ADC probably isn't exactly 0-5v.

So that gives you the raw voltage, you then have to take that raw voltage and run it through the equation that AEM is giving you to convert it to AFR. You can take their equation and translate it into the function evoscan uses. I believe its basically the same as writing formula's in excel / spread sheet apps. In evoscan x just represents the value the ecu is sending. You putting x tells evoscan to fill in the blank.

EDIT: Im dumb its 0-255 but that represents 256 positions, 0 is a number. So 5 divided by 256 is exactly 0.01953125 much closer to evoscan.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Apr 1, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

The X will be the numeric value that the ECU is sending for request "3C". 3C should be the mut address for the stored value of the rear oxygen sensor input. That formula will convert that number into a voltage. If you look in evoscan there is actually already an entry for this by default labeled "Oxygen Sensor #2". What it gives you is a raw voltage, you can interpret that yourself in your logs, right a formula in excel to convert it, or get the formula right in evoscan to convert it there.
Aah gotcha...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read
http://aemelectronics.com/?q=forum/b...ignalmaxed-out
May need to have a replacement sent.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Figured id update this since I still couldnt find the info posted anywhere and my experience. AEM X-Series btw.
The formula AEM shows works, SORTA. Just like the UEGO the diplayed afr by the gauge doesnt match the logged voltage and this is where you need to tweak things. If you just insert the AEM formula and also log voltage and compare they are dead on with each other, but not what the gauge is displaying.

0.01952*x*2.3750+7.315 is the AEM Formula
0.01952*x*2.4750+7.315 is what i ended up with and im within 0.1AFR You need to log and compare and make adjustments to the formula for me, i wasnt really concerned with anything more than making sure it was logging accurately in the 10-13afr range.

Also make sure the BROWN wire is ran to Sensor Ground!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92LaserRs
Figured id update this since I still couldnt find the info posted anywhere and my experience. AEM X-Series btw.
The formula AEM shows works, SORTA. Just like the UEGO the diplayed afr by the gauge doesnt match the logged voltage and this is where you need to tweak things. If you just insert the AEM formula and also log voltage and compare they are dead on with each other, but not what the gauge is displaying.

0.01952*x*2.3750+7.315 is the AEM Formula
0.01952*x*2.4750+7.315 is what i ended up with and im within 0.1AFR You need to log and compare and make adjustments to the formula for me, i wasnt really concerned with anything more than making sure it was logging accurately in the 10-13afr range.

Also make sure the BROWN wire is ran to Sensor Ground!
I would appreciate if you can make a video of your gauge and Logging Screen.
Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE*
So i actually got to check on the car again and logged a few bits.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 25, 2018, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

I tried using the formula given in this photo. The Voltage output doesnt go below 3v and is mostly stuck at 4.9v which clearly seems to be sensor error. I tried ECU sensor ground, chassis ground but it does the same thing. The gauge some times show 25- 30 AFR like WTF ?

Any other reliable wide band in the market which can be logged using the same technique ?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 25, 2018, 08:12 AM

I tried using the formula given in this photo. The Voltage output doesnt go below 3v and is mostly stuck at 4.9v which clearly seems to be sensor error. I tried ECU sensor ground, chassis ground but it does the same thing. The gauge some times show 25- 30 AFR like WTF ?

Any other reliable wide band in the market which can be logged using the same technique ?
My zeitronix has been working fine for >8 years. I replaced the sensor itself a few years ago but not because anything was wrong, just proactively.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

My zeitronix has been working fine for >8 years. I replaced the sensor itself a few years ago but not because anything was wrong, just proactively.
So this indeed is a sensor issue ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:05 AM

So this indeed is a sensor issue ?
Couldn't say, I was just giving my recommendation on a replacement.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Two things, first make sure you have your MUT table setup correctly. Second, see if you have Voltage out from the gauge. Disconnect the analog out and see if you are reporting voltage on that wire and that its changing and some what matches the table AEM gives. Again my displayed voltage didnt match the volts output before even hooking to the ecu. Once i knew the gauge was sending the volts out signal, i just logged that raw and compared to my logged afr using the formula AEM provided and in my link above. Obviously the logged volts and logged afr matched, but not the displayed afr of the gauge. Thats why i had to tweak the formula.

Quick Reply: how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable