ECU Flash

Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
That is where I put mine:

Yup, that is where I am planning to do it.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
So because I have MAFT Pro for my speed density conversion I have the GM IAT and wiring. I am thinking that I can vampire that and run it in like you described? This is really cool...Good work MAN!!!

I have been monitoring the MIAT with the MAFT pro but havent been able to log it. It will also be cool to see what effect things like the intercooler sprayer actually have on the temps.
I'm not sure if its possible to send the signal to both the MAFT Pro and the ECU. The signal is a voltage measured across the sensor, but the sensor is also driven by a 5 V power supply. Both the MAFT Pro and the ECU will try to drive it with their power supplies. Having both those power supplies seeing each other may not be a good thing. I suspect it will cause some current flow in unwanted directions. Maybe someone with more experience here could chime in.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yup, that is where I am planning to do it.
Anyone know of a way to tap that spot without removing the intake manifold? Seems impossible, but maybe someone figured out a clever way to do it?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
Anyone know of a way to tap that spot without removing the intake manifold? Seems impossible, but maybe someone figured out a clever way to do it?
Connect a strong-**** vacumn to the inlet of the manifold, drill and tap away and hope for the best? lol
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

A shopvac with a 90 deg fitting on the end of it might actually work. Maybe a brush fitting if it fits through the opening on the manifold. Otherwise, it would be some custom thing. I'll have to give that some thought. Would be much nicer to have it taped there than on the IC pipe before the TB.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another thought is to just tap a little at a time and remove the metal bits with a little magnet or vaccum. Then, when the drill bit/tap finally passes through, use the magnet to remove any little chips that fell into the IM.

Eric
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Magnet isn't going to work on aluminum...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Magnet isn't going to work on aluminum...
Yeah, I realized that I wasn't even thinking of what the IM was made out of. I was too quick in remembering tapping something else with that method, that I didn't take the time to stop and think first.

Chalk up a retard point for me. I might have to give back my Materials Science and Engineering degree now.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Apr 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
get a round tube that fits inside the TB, cut a hole in it and then just line up the whole with the tapping point.. so when your drill through and metal bits just fall into the side of the tube...

then pull it out carefully...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
get a round tube that fits inside the TB, cut a hole in it and then just line up the whole with the tapping point.. so when your drill through and metal bits just fall into the side of the tube...

then pull it out carefully...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is an idea on tapping intake manifold. Does it work? Yes, but it is a risk. I have used this method on other cars. I am not responsible for you damaging your engine or turbo with this information. Use your boost leak detector to pressurize the intake. Put allot of grease on the drill bit. Drill hole. Most chips will stick to drill bit some will blow out. Now with air blowing everywhere tap the threads with grease on the tap too. Will still blow out chips and most will stick to the tap. After you finish with tap, it is important that you check for anything that may have fell inside the intake. You can use a long q tip with grease on it to pick up any thing you notice. Risky, but might work for you. I suggest you remove the intake though, it is much safer.

Last edited by turboracer; Apr 27, 2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:34 AM
Account Disabled

It really isn't hard to remove the intake manifold. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
It really isn't hard to remove the intake manifold. Better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah, but my blocks of free time are pretty small (family priorities), and my Evo is a DD.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yeah, but my blocks of free time are pretty small (family priorities), and my Evo is a DD.
Then put it in the IC pipe. Easier to remove and clean afterwards.

Seriously, if you suck something into the cylinder, how long will you be without your DD?

It only took me about 30 minutes to pull the IM, 30 mins to drill and tap and blow it out with brake cleaner and air, then 45 mins to put it back on. 2 hrs max, and no worry that you might have ingested something deadly.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to all the guys with he intake air sensor installed:

what kind of temp variations do you see? From what I see the temp is fairly steady, but I do inject water above 11 psi so my temps may be contaminated. and it never gets hot in the pac northwest

Quick Reply: Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging