Notices
ECU Flash

Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great data...I hope to compare soon.

So, in your single gear pull, it looks like intake temps went from about 77-84F (7* rise) and in the multi-gear pull, they went from about 70-90F (20* rise).

This will be great to see how an aftermarket IC compares.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 6, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very cool stuff, mrfred.

Could this ADC be configured instead for pressure logging? I'm envisioning EBP sensor logging....
Old Jun 6, 2008, 05:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JKav
Very very cool stuff, mrfred.

Could this ADC be configured instead for pressure logging? I'm envisioning EBP sensor logging....
This ADC channel supplies +5 V power and has a 2.25 kohm internal resistor that runs in series with whatever resistance is in between the ADC pinout and sensor ground. The ADC signal represents the voltage across the resistance between the ADC pinout and sensor ground. I don't think it can do anything but measure voltage across the resistance. I'm not positive though on what cannot be done with it. Perhaps one of the electronics experts could comment?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
This ADC channel supplies +5 V power and has a 2.25 kohm internal resistor that runs in series with whatever resistance is in between the ADC pinout and sensor ground. The ADC signal represents the voltage across the resistance between the ADC pinout and sensor ground. I don't think it can do anything but measure voltage across the resistance. I'm not positive though on what cannot be done with it. Perhaps one of the electronics experts could comment?
How fortuitous, it just so happens that the Ford EBP sensor (p/n 8C3Z-9J460-A) is 0-5volt output. I don't want to hijack your thread with this, but it appears this ADC may have potential for all kinds of logging in addition to temperature.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

How fortuitous, it just so happens that the Ford EBP sensor (p/n 8C3Z-9J460-A) is 0-5volt output. I don't want to hijack your thread with this, but it appears this ADC may have potential for all kinds of logging in addition to temperature.
I'm not an electronics expert, either, by any means, but I think this is only useful for thermistor logging.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
any updates for a 94170015/14 map??

im about to go MAFT soon as well.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evodan2004
any updates for a 94170015/14 map??

im about to go MAFT soon as well.
I'll take care of this after I finish my front O2 sensor patch that's in the works.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'll take care of this after I finish my front O2 sensor patch that's in the works.
orly? Wideband front 02?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
orly? Wideband front 02?
Yeah, but just WB conversion to NB signal in the ECU rather than in the WB controller. Will allow adjusting closed loop target AFR using ECUFlash rather than in the WB controller. True WB front O2 could be done as well, but would be much more work. Whole subroutines would have to be rewritten.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ordered a GM IAT sensor. I am going to pull the mani off and tap it in the stock location. I can't wait to get this working so i can quantify improvements when i move to a new IC this winter.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

I've been driving around for a few months now routinely logging MAT and IAT, and I'm finding that if I'm just cruising around town, MAT is almost exactly equal to IAT, so the notion of heat soak occuring during daily driving doesn't apply to Evos, at least for Evos using the stock IC.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

mrfred, does that include creeping along in prolonged traffic?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I've been driving around for a few months now routinely logging MAT and IAT, and I'm finding that if I'm just cruising around town, MAT is almost exactly equal to IAT, so the notion of heat soak occuring during daily driving doesn't apply to Evos, at least for Evos using the stock IC.
I finally installed my sensor as well a few weeks ago and I have noticed the same thing, although I had only logged a few times. For me, just cruising around town, non-boost, stop and go, the post IC temps were a degree or two above my intake temps at the MAF.

Eric
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Makes sense since you aren't cramming hot turbo air through the IC.

Now try another test. Idle the car for a little bit, then go WOT. Then drive around 50mph or so then go WOT. Be interesting to see the delta in air temp increase between the two.

I would imagine it would be better at 50mph than at 0mph as you have a bunch more airflow over the FMIC.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:05 PM
EvoM Guru

mrfred, does that include creeping along in prolonged traffic?
No traffic jams around here, so couldn't say about puttering along in 1st or 2nd gear.

Originally Posted by razorlab
Makes sense since you aren't cramming hot turbo air through the IC.

Now try another test. Idle the car for a little bit, then go WOT. Then drive around 50mph or so then go WOT. Be interesting to see the delta in air temp increase between the two.

I would imagine it would be better at 50mph than at 0mph as you have a bunch more airflow over the FMIC.
I'm sure end run MAT temp will be hotter when taking off after some idling.

Let me see if I can find a log with extended idling. Should provide info on both questions.

Quick Reply: Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging