Notices
ECU Flash

JDM Map Sensor and Gauge

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JDM Map Sensor and Gauge

Is it possible to output the readings from the jdm map sensor to a digital gauge. I like the accuracy of the JDM map sensor and would like to get rid of my current mechanical boost gauge.

something like this
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=131
Old May 20, 2008, 10:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id like to know the answer also
Old May 20, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a good idea.

The voltage scale for the JDM MAP is available. And I agree. My GReddy boost gauge, the stock gauge, and the JDM map ... none of them agree. Even in vacuum.

Its annoying so I just go off the JDM map anyway. Come up with something cool.
Old May 21, 2008, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I've seen the old autometer a/f gauges converted from narrowband to wideband.

I dont see why one of our fellow techno junkies couldn't somehow convert the input signal on an electric boost gauge to read off the JDM map sensor output.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

you will need way to program the voltage, like an analog channel on an lm1, that gauge has its own sending unit, so i dont think you can use jdm map

Last edited by mchuang; May 21, 2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I have a buddy that is very good with this kind of stuff. He normally comes in to run all the electronic side projects that come up. Are we after something that mounts like a gauge? Or just a small LCD display? I'll run it by him see what he can come up with. Personally I think something I can shove in my steering column mounted pod would be best for me.

Input?
Old May 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

We should be able to cook up a display for this. As one of the other projects he's working on for me is a meth controller that runs off the JDM map sensor. So it was an "on topic" thought anyway.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno the gauge is a nice a idea but the digital display is nice seeing that your psi is displayed instead of having to read it.

Def a nice idea though. The AEM uego gauges are they seperate or do they go to a central controll unit ? Maybe they could use them if so might be easier could even contact aem there not going to care i bet.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
I dunno the gauge is a nice a idea but the digital display is nice seeing that your psi is displayed instead of having to read it.

Def a nice idea though. The AEM uego gauges are they seperate or do they go to a central controll unit ? Maybe they could use them if so might be easier could even contact aem there not going to care i bet.
No no... I meant put a digital display in a round panel that has a lip on it you could put in a gauge holder. Thats all.

The UEGO gauge just puts out what the chip somewhere in stream tells it to. And is configured as such. Without something in line to "tell" the gauge what to read. It won't just read what you want it to. It has to know how to interpret the data. The lookup table for voltage out - to psi has to be on a chip. Then it tells the display what to put out. So it will have to be specific to the JDM map sensor's voltage to psi scale.

Their 19 in 1 serial gauge could possibly do it. But it is driven off the AEM itself I believe. So what it reads out would be configurable to some degree. But - if you have an AEM... you probably do not have a JDM map sensor... all things considered.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
Their 19 in 1 serial gauge could possibly do it. But it is driven off the AEM itself I believe. So what it reads out would be configurable to some degree. But - if you have an AEM... you probably do not have a JDM map sensor... all things considered.
yeah - i'm sure you can wire an input to the AEM from the JDM map, and then output it to a serial data guage. but like you said - if you have an AEM, why bother with the JDM map sensor.

it would be nice to have an open source serial data guage. that way we can drive it directly from the ECU.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

i am currently building my own gauge to monitor boost and afr.. a la zetronics.
i have spent about 70 bucks on the hardware and lcd so far, and i am currently writing the code.
the jdm sensor spits out a 5v signal as does the output wire from my innovate WB.
My hardware [adruino board] has 6, 5v inputs with a built in ADC for conversion.

I have boost, peak boost, a boost graph, two warning levels [set at 20 psi and 24psi], and similar functions for afr. I am displaying it on small two line red lcd. In the end, this will have costed me less than 100 bucks for the hardware.. and a few weeks of coding.

lcd ... http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=812
hardware ... http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction
BUDLoNG
Old May 22, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by budlong
i am currently building my own gauge to monitor boost and afr.. a la zetronics.
i have spent about 70 bucks on the hardware and lcd so far, and i am currently writing the code.
the jdm sensor spits out a 5v signal as does the output wire from my innovate WB.
My hardware [adruino board] has 6, 5v inputs with a built in ADC for conversion.

I have boost, peak boost, a boost graph, two warning levels [set at 20 psi and 24psi], and similar functions for afr. I am displaying it on small two line red lcd. In the end, this will have costed me less than 100 bucks for the hardware.. and a few weeks of coding.

lcd ... http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=812
hardware ... http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction
BUDLoNG
That sounds really cool, I like the idea of that. Please keep us up to date about how it goes.
Is there any chance of hooking it up to an analog style gauge for those who prefer that visually.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

its a programmable micro chip with both digital and analog outputs. I dont see why it couldnt easily be hooked up to an analog gauge. My project isn't going in that direction, but ill add it to my list of things to do.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a very cool project, any idea when you will finish?
Old May 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

depends on when i get thru GTA IV
it's just coding at this point and then hookup, so i would assume around a month.

i am using an old parallax bread board to hold my potentiometers [to simulate the boost and afr inputs].
Attached Thumbnails JDM Map Sensor and Gauge-adc.jpg  

Last edited by budlong; May 28, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: JDM Map Sensor and Gauge