Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan and ecuflash on linux

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoScan and ecuflash on linux

Has anyone successfully got the above two, to work on linux?
Im asking as the laptop i am using to log and map isnt very quick and im too poor to buy a new laptop at the moment and thought maybe running a better OS might help it run quicker.

Cheers, Jamie
Old May 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
EcuFlash runs under Wine, but cannot interact with the OpenPort interface. I haven't bothered trying EvoScan, because it would likely suffer from the same problem. I had previously had very good luck running EcuFlash, EvoScan, and MitsuLogger on VMware Server, but that went down the tubes when I moved to 64-bit physical hardware. (Given your hardware constraints, VMware wouldn't really be an option anyway, but I figured I'd mention it for the archives.)

For logging, libmut (with a bit of work) is probably the best starting point right now if you'd want to develop something yourself. I have the VERY rough beginnings of a logger/map tracer/ROM editor (drawing on libmut for MUT protocol support, thanks to donour for adding swig bindings ), but neither of these give you flashing. There's also RomRaider, which works wonderfully for logging Subarus (not sure if it supports MUT right now, likely not) and ROM editing, but again, no flashing capability. (You've just hit on my biggest complaint about EcuFlash: no source code publically available, and Colby has basically cornered the market on flashing because noone else has the interest or time in reproducing his work more openly. So, those of us on Linux are on our own for the time being, unfortunately.)

For your situation, you might considered downgrading to Windows 2000 if you're currently on XP. (When's the last time you heard that advice? ) Don't go as far as '98, however: I was completely unable to get the FTDI drivers I'd found to work appropriately on Windows 98. The tablet I'm currently using for tuning work is about as underpowered as it gets, but does the job brilliantly as long as I'm not trying to use it as a general-purpose computing device. This might not be an option for you, though, depending on what software you need day-to-day.

Something else to investigate: most of this stuff isn't CPU-hungry, but more memory ALWAYS helps. Have you maxed out the memory your current laptop can take? Anything running that absolutely doesn't need to be? Instant messengers, auto-updaters, printer managers, video managers, all kinds of junk hanging out in the system tray will suck up resources you'd probably rather use more productively. (If you're even half-way intelligent, that little antivirus icon down in the corner is a good candidate for pruning too. I expect I'll take some flak for suggesting that, though.)

Other items: ditch Office if you're using it for viewing CSV logs. Something lighter-weight, like Gnumeric, or an older version of Office, can help quite a bit here. This same advice applies to all the software you use; try to find lighter-weight, less-feature-bloated versions of your usual applications (usually, looking at Windows ports of traditional Linux software works well here).

Hope this helps!
Old May 29, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^Good advice. Another option is try to Nlite your XP install to remove everything that is not needed for logging and flashing. Then get more memory and you should be fine.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the advice chaps. I was thinking of going 2000 but i wasnt sure if evoscan would run as i thought it needed net framework v2 and that was a bit of an **** to find and get installed onto XP. The computer is for logging and flashing only! so i can get rid of as much as i can but im not that clever yet i dont think..
I run a powerbook G4 for my day to day stuff and got virtual PC to work on it but its about the same speed as the PC laptop.
Im just getting tired of evoscan crashing when im watching realtime graphs.

I think i will order some more ram then and get a copy of 2000. Maybe even see if i can get it to run on the mac aswell.
Old May 30, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Macs have quite a few more options, actually. See the libmut page I posted; there's your logger, and EcuFlash actually ships a Mac version now (both thanks to "donour" here on EvoM).

fixem2, good call on nlite; I'd completely forgotten about that.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by logic
Macs have quite a few more options, actually. See the libmut page I posted; there's your logger, and EcuFlash actually ships a Mac version now (both thanks to "donour" here on EvoM).

fixem2, good call on nlite; I'd completely forgotten about that.
I downloaded ecuflash but it didnt work. I think its only for intel processors. I will have a read at the libmut thread
Old May 31, 2008, 12:07 PM

O.k. Ive decided to try with virtual PC again and order some more ram to make the mac a bit faster...
Now ive got a new problem. My windows on virtual wont comunicate with with my open port cable. It is listed in the USB devices menu in virtual PC if you click on the USB icon on the window but only intermitantly and it doesnt come up with the found new hardware bubble at the bottom right of windows..
Im sorry if im a bit vague but im a bit new to this. I have installed the drivers again for the cable but it still wont 'see' the lead via windows.

Is it possible i have a dodgy copy of windows or something

Oh yeah and i CAN access my usb flash dongle through windows...

Any ideas?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW I put in a support ticket on the Evoscan site asking about a port to Linux. Here's my question and the reply;
Hi, what are the chances of porting Evoscan to Linux?

nil

Oh well... I'm glad the there's an OSX option at least. Thanks, Donour!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't EvoScan built on .NET? If so, getting it running under Mono on Linux probably wouldn't be much of a stretch. The biggest problem will likely be that EvoScan, like EcuFlash, uses the FTDI bus interface rather than the serial interface.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone perusing using evoscan/ecuflash in ubuntu? I have tried with WINE, with poor results. Lacking USB abilities. My hope is to make an ubuntu based carpc, using elisa media center, and evoscan (if/when possible).

Its sad that evoscan doesn't currently support linux
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I think i almost got it working. But the OpenPort 2.0 cable i have doesnt seem to work with the linux D2XX drivers available. Anyway. Figured i would post this up incase anyone else has better luck. Basically what the below does is uses a linux driver and creates a wine DLL wrapper to access it.

Basically FTDI released linux drivers:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

I also found a FTDI wrapper for wine:
http://gatopeichs.blogspot.com/2012/...-on-linux.html

I installed both into /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine

If you have ftdi_sio in the kernel you need to remove it:
zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~$ lsmod|grep ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio 13197 0
zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~$ sudo rmmod ftdi_sio

Next i need to get the USB Device information so i can change the permissions:

zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~$ lsusb|grep 0403:
Bus 003 Device 018: ID 0403:cc4c Future Technology Devices International, Ltd

Here i see that the device is located on Bus 3 and it is Device 18. So i want to change the permissions on that device so anyone user can access it:

zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/bus/usb/003/018

Enable wine debugging:
zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~$ export WINEDEBUG=trace+ftd2xx

Now, when i run ecuFlash, i no longer get the FTD2XX dll error and i see this in the trace:
zyounker@zyounker-laptop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash$ wine ./ecuflash.exe
trace:ftd2xxllMain (0x0x7ccd0000, 1, (nil))
trace:ftd2xx:FTD2XX_FT_CreateDeviceInfoList lpdwNumDevs = 0, status: OK
trace:ftd2xx:FTD2XX_FT_GetDeviceInfoList (FT_DEVICE_LIST_INFO_NODE *)0x176b498, lpdwNumDevs = 0, status: OK
trace:ftd2xxllMain (0x0x7ccd0000, 2, (nil))
trace:ftd2xx:FTD2XX_FT_CreateDeviceInfoList lpdwNumDevs = 0, status: OK
trace:ftd2xx:FTD2XX_FT_GetDeviceInfoList (FT_DEVICE_LIST_INFO_NODE *)0x179e5d0, lpdwNumDevs = 0, status: OK

As you see above it just continually requests a device list and does not see my OpenPort 2.0. Doing more testing directly with the linux FTDI drivers i found that my device requires a special call to FT_SetVIDPID to function. So if you have device 0403:cc4c and get it working let me know!!!

Anyway, it's possible that other devices may work with the above setup...

Thanks,
-Zach

Last edited by zyounker; Aug 30, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

There is also an opensource FTDI linux driver i may give a try with a modified wrapper.. I also may be able to add the FT_SetVIDPID to the wrapper script as a bad workaround. I'll update if i get it working.