ECU Flash

thinking about ditching my LC1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
thinking about ditching my LC1

Hey Guys,

I need to send my LC1 back for RMA due to a problem with it.

Now since I dont really want to stuff around installing the new one I thought I could install a Zentronix instead.

They seem to be less buggy - and don't have to worry about calibration.

so two things:

1) what makes the ZT2 better or worse over the LC1
2) whats the deal with the zero-calibration on the ZT2 - how is it kept accurate?

NO FLAME WARZ please, just factual stuff and peoples OWN experiences.

ps - Yes I am back on deck, I will have ROM's for people that have asked very soon

Cheers
D.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly I do not have a lot of experience with the Zeitronix stuff. But I have never had issue with the Innovate products. Its what's in this car - and its been like clockwork... for years.

(Think snow, and salt, and a dropped driveshaft that got caught in the WB's wires on accident.) Never a problem.

What troubles are you having David?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:49 AM

My LC1 loose calibration every week. On any firmware. We dont have RMA in Russia... So I cant return it. Next time I'll buy ZT2.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah I have to international post it to return it

my problems:
- loosing calibration
- having to recalibrate it
- fking annoying wiring

I just want a cheap/easy to setup/reliable/trustworthy WB

So yeah if I get the ZT2 then I don't have to unplug the the sensor, I just plug the new ZT2 into the current sensor...

Hopefully I can then sell the old LC1 (after RMA'd) with a new sensor for 150ish...

Cheers
D.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both, the zietronix worked well but read a tad richer than it actually was. (Confirmed on a DD dyno wideband). Never had a problem with it.

For the past 2.5 yrs the LC1/LMA-3/XD16 combo has performed flawless and matches the DD dyno wideband.

The ZT2 seems to work better with evoscan, but I prefer the Logworks 3log/graphing capabilities.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I can't really compare to the Zentronix as I've only used the LM-1 and LC-1. I've never really needed to recalibrate the LC-1 and it's been in the car for almost 3 years. (I have calibrated it but it has never resulted in a significant change in readings.) I can understand your frustration though as I could not get the LM-1 to log an external (AEM) pressure sensor way back when. It would get very confused every time the sensor was powered (and yes, I checked and rechecked the grounds). However, I never had issue with the WB readings or calibration on either unit.

Hopefully, whether you get the LC-1 fixed or use the ZT2, you'll be up and running soon. Good luck.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

That really interesting that you area posting this because at the very same time I am thinking of replacing my ZT2 and getting an LC-1.

I have not had any problems with the ZT2. In fact it works pretty much as expected. I sometimes wonder if it is still accurate after a year of use without calibration. The main reason I was thinking of getting rid of it is due to logging wideband AFR directly in the ECU. In that thread zietronix mentions that there analog output is not as accurate as serial logging.

LC-1 appears to have more accurate analog output from what people in that thread found.

I use the ZT2 to log boost (no longer needed with JDM MAP) and I also log meth flow. I would like to log meth flow directly through the ECU which should be possible with a spare ADC.

I also have the zeitronx ZAVT warning box, which I don't think I really need anymore thanks to your alt map and CEL Flash patches.

I was thinking I would sell the ZT2 and get an LC-1. The though was the LC-1 will do exactly what I need, no more - no less. The ZT2 has all sorts of stuff that I no longer plan to use.

Maybe I should rethink this decesion as it seems a good number of people have calibration problems with their LC-1
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:18 AM
Account Disabled

In my experience any time you hook up that damm data line to log directly from the LC1 for evoscan it will want recalibrated in a couple days. If you don't hook up to it then it doesen't need recalibrated.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting, so your saying the serial port on the LC-1 promotes recalibrating?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:27 AM
Account Disabled

When serial is hooked up to evoscan yes. My DSM has a LC1 and didn't need calibrated for 2 yeras. As soon as I got evoscan to work on it needed cal'd later that day. The evo won't be hooked up for months at a time and the LC1 will be fine. Hook up evoscan and it'll need cal'd soon. The one thing that helps is shutting off the LC1 then disconnecting the laptop.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:30 AM

My serial cable always connected to serial2usb.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:06 AM
Former Sponsor

never had a problem with ZT-2 systems. i use a few to tune customers cars (i have it easily removeable), so it gets swapped from car to car nearly every day. i've compared the ZT-2 calibration to multiple dyno widebands, as well as redundant widebands on cars (i like using mine because the process works rather then trying to get my laptop working with someone elses wideband).

recently i was considering changing to the innovative data logging systems with their wideband. the data logger offers many more inputs then the ZT-2. then i installed a LC-1 which absolutely would not calibrate no matter what i did. re-wired it, took the sensor out of the pipe a hundred times, made sure it was calibrated for gas, etc etc etc, never once did it read 14.7 afr at idle (when clearly the car was running 14.7 as shown by both narrowband stock sensors and my wideband). i looked into it and apparently the innovative widebands have very very common problems with calibration issues. i don't want to have to calibrate a sensor every time i get in the car.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the LC-1/XD-16 setup. But a week ago, the sensor controller stopped working. I checked the sensor and gauge on another car and its fine. So I have also sent the sensor controller to be RMA'd and in the mean time I have installed the ZT-2 unit.

The zeitronix datalogs flawlessly in evoscan but I don't know which one is more accurate. I wish there was a way I could get my AFR readings from the ZT-2 to show on the XD-16 gauge.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

KevinD,

Most gasoline run 10% ethanol in this day and age. If your wideband is calibrated for gasoline they typically idle at 14.2-14.5AFR due to the ethanol in the gas. That is something to think about in the future.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

My LC-1 works great. No problems with it needing recalibrated.

Quick Reply: thinking about ditching my LC1