Notices
ECU Flash

now simulating front O2 signal using WB signal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
now simulating front O2 signal using WB signal

I finally finished up debugging and proof testing my front O2 sim + rear O2 sim patch this evening. Using just the WB analog out on my LC-1, I can now control the closed loop AFR and simulate the rear O2 sensor. :-) What I tested this evening was just a first draft. There are two limitations of this v1 patch:

1) The target closed loop AFR is hardcoded to 15.5:1 rather than being adjustable.

2) The afr "width" of the simulated NB signal is not adjustable.

I didn't bother with these items in the first draft because I wanted to see the setup work before I spent any more time making the setpoint adjustable. Anyhow, I went out driving for about 1/2 hour, and it worked very well. My only concern is the possibility of stalling when pushing in the clutch when coming to a stop. It didn't happen during my test run, but the idle did get more dodgy than usual one or twice when coming to a stop. Some people have mentioned surging when using the LC-1 simulated NB output. I didn't notice anything like that.

I plan to continue testing it for the next few days, and hopefully by next weekend, I'll be ready to post a patch for the 88590015 ROM. If there is widespread interest in the patch, I'll talk with tephra about whether he'd like to add it to his tephra ROM.

Here is some data from one of my logs:
Attached Thumbnails now simulating front O2 signal using WB signal-evoscandatalog_2008.07.19_22.08.32.gif  
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Freaking sweet! Let me know if you want help logging/testing, of course it'd need to be for 96530006.....

You da man mrfred, youdaman! Proof of concept works!

Obviously it's setup to just use the hardcoded AFR during open loop, perhaps it could be disabled during low-load conditions (10?) to help avoid the stalling issue?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Very cool stuff as always.

So you idle at 15.5 too?

My cams would hate that.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 04:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
what would be cool is if you can make the fuel map an actual target AFR map, which the ECU then targets by using the wideband + changes...

that way we can run closed loop @ WOT for actual target AFR's.

not that I would trust the LC1 (or any wideband) to stay configured/calibrated correctly...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 04:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
repost
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
what would be cool is if you can make the fuel map an actual target AFR map, which the ECU then targets by using the wideband + changes...

not that I would trust the LC1 (or any wideband) to stay configured/calibrated correctly...
You could set it up where you add an actual AFR table but it acts as a trim to a tuned fuel map. So you have your fuel map tuned but also input the wanted values under each load/rpm into this new table. Then if weather or anything changes the the ecu would trim the fuel closer to the actual wanted AFR. I think this is how o2 feedback works on the AEM. Pretty cool idea.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having problems with my car running really rich a little while back and during all the things I tested I decided to try running the lc-1 as the front o2 to see if that fixed the problem. But it didnt.

After finding out my problem and got it fixed I kept the WB signal attached and the car runs great. I havent experienced any problems with it at all.

I just crimped two male spades on the front o2 wire from the sensor and the yellow narrow band signal from the lc-1 and put a female spade on the ecu pin out. I dont have the pins so thats how I did it. Im going to buy some and re-do it though along with simulating the rear to something else also.

I have an 03 with rom id 9417008. I have pretty much all supporting mods besides a built long block.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I finally finished up debugging and proof testing my front O2 sim + rear O2 sim patch this evening. Using just the WB analog out on my LC-1, I can now control the closed loop AFR and simulate the rear O2 sensor.
What are the benefits to simulating the rear O2 sensor?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

just like using zeitronix.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tephra

Cute idea. Can and will definitely do this. This will very nicely handle idle AFR needs. No way I would try or recommend running closed loop WOT though.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
Cute idea. Can and will definitely do this. This will very nicely handle idle AFR needs. No way I would try or recommend running closed loop WOT though.
I think that for the moment, I am going to just differentiate between idle and cruise by having a crossover rpm and an AFR setting for below and for above that crossover value. Much less code to write and will execute more quickly. If someone can come up with a good reason to actually use a closed loop table, I'll give it more consideration.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Now have a draft of v2. v2 uses the AFR in the AFR tables to set the closed loop AFR. I'm a little burned out for the evening, so I'll debug and test later this week.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

awesome work as always mrfred. You never cease to amaze me!

SQ
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You guys rock so hard

Do want for 88590015

This might be dumb, but how much space does it take up and how much of a chance is there for this to be integrated for map switching to allow different lambdas on each map? That would make E85 life a bit better, no?

I really need to fly around the world and buy you guys a one day.

Last edited by fostytou; Jul 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
No need to fly around the world for mrfred, he's in the usa (not sure where?). Tephra on the other hand, he's down under

Quick Reply: now simulating front O2 signal using WB signal