Notices
ECU Flash

"Logged Timing" deviating from Timing Map, every log, every time it does, it KNOCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ciobing
My ROM is V5.10 96530006.I logged Timing deviating from Timing Map,more timing ..don't exist for my xml definition some tables for trottle/timing,compensations or other factors which modify the timing Map?
What are ECU periphery,bit10?
Thanks!
maybe is the EGR ignition advance ?it is possible to eliminate EGR valve and EGR advance?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
ok so I went to get the leak test done today... No leak whatsoever up to 27lbs. Checked the plugs... They look fine... He chalked it up to "Bad Gas"! Now Im getting concerned... Do people actually get "bad gas?" (from the pump, for ur car) lol It does make sense... but never happened to me before...

I did notice that there was some residue oil around the oil cap! I Dont have any idea what that means either!!! any ideas??? And no I didnt leave it a mess last oil change.

I was told to log, see if its still knocking, if so fill up again (I need gas) , log (again) and if its still knocking, put in some race gas, and try again... If its still knocking there is a problem!

TIA

Im sorta stressing out a lil, as my Evo is my 1 and only DD!

So what were the results on the logs after the boost leak test? Did you still get knock in the same areas and less load?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
ok so I went to get the leak test done today... No leak whatsoever up to 27lbs. Checked the plugs... They look fine... He chalked it up to "Bad Gas"! Now Im getting concerned... Do people actually get "bad gas?" (from the pump, for ur car) lol It does make sense... but never happened to me before...

I did notice that there was some residue oil around the oil cap! I Dont have any idea what that means either!!! any ideas??? And no I didnt leave it a mess last oil change.

I was told to log, see if its still knocking, if so fill up again (I need gas) , log (again) and if its still knocking, put in some race gas, and try again... If its still knocking there is a problem!

TIA

Im sorta stressing out a lil, as my Evo is my 1 and only DD!
I've tuned over 300 evos and so far only one has had "bad gas".

It could be that your car prefers less boost, more timing, or richer AFR and more boost. Every Evo is different. Welcome to tuning.

Also, have you posted your Mivec map yet? Might be of some help as well.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 16, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kimletrim
So what were the results on the logs after the boost leak test? Did you still get knock in the same areas and less load?
Thanks again for the help Khiem!

I did a couple pulls this morning on the way to work... (still same gas) a 3rd, and a 4th gear pull. I only saw 1, and 2 counts of knock... But 2 things, 1. now I lost another 10 TQ, and the "logged" timing is still deviating from the Map. (w/ out knock) @ WOT... WTF I thought it only deviated in low load??? @ 4000 its showing 2's, and I dont have a 2 any where near that! Also my AFR is now showing 10.8's from 6500... WTF? I just spent all last weekend working on my AFR, getting it to 11.0 @7000-7500...

Oh I need to change the log reference as well... I guess that makes sense... Thank u! I will try that tonight...

My load values are inconsistant between 3500-6000, my afr's are inconsistant, (in the same gear) from 3750 throughout the powerband... "Leanspool" is enabled from 2500-7500.

I have a hybrid radical mivec map. mix between mrfreds and naji's... I will post up later tonight. I wanted to have my car running 11.7 throughout, but doesnt look like my car is happy @ 11.5, even though my logs are now showing 11.3-11.4, then @ 6500 goes rich @ 10.8. I just spent all of last weekend getting this to an even 11.5 till 6500, and 11.0 @ 7000-7500, now Im reading 11.3-4... Damn it Dawg! Do I really need to go any "leaner than 11.3 @ WOT??? Has any 1 ever "NEEDED" to run that rich? I am basically running the same Timing map that was used @ 22psi... but since I have added the intercooler, I thought I should be able to push it a bit... 3-4 @ peak, 11-13 @ 7000-7500 isnt asking too much especially w/ a 3 1/2" cooler... To my knowledge, which is obviously limited...lol

Last edited by nonschlont; Oct 16, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
check your wideband...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
check your wideband...
Meaning, do a log w/ the zietronix software? Or check the sensor? Sensor should be fine... (brand new) just got it installed 2 weeks ago...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
maybe its out of calibration or something... not sure how ZT2 does that (aside from not needing too??!?!)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

lol ya its says your not suppsosed to have to... IDK I guess I will have to "0" out the TBEC and start over...
Just added Timing33. Thanx Tephra I will log them both from now on... Gonna fill up tomorrow morning, hopefully I actually get 91... I'll do some more pulls and report back

Heres my fuel (leanspool enabled) and Mivec map

Last edited by nonschlont; Oct 16, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

bump for a look at my Mivec map...
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Boost is finding its way into the crankcase is my guess. This will force oil out of the oil filler cap and also back into the intake pipe thru the 'fresh air' breather hose. Oil residue in the air intake tract will lower your effective octane level in the fuel mix and allow knock to occur.
Best guess is the PCV valve is starting to fail. It may be sticking occasionally from oil buildup so it might not stick all of the time.

If it is oil residue, the only way oil gets in the combustion chamber is from the turbo oil seals leaking, PCV system, head gasket and worn rings. The PCV is the cheapest and most likely candidate in that scenerio.

Check carefully around your oilpan gasket and valve cover gasket for any small signs of leaks. If even 1-2 psi is able to enter the crankcase, thats enough to compromise your these two gaskets since they're not intended to hold in any positive air pressure. They're usually the weakest link in the crankcase system so its a good tell-tale sign that boost is leaking into the crankcase somehow.

I'm not certain but oil in the mix can show as richer AFR's too I think. Someone else can confirm this or not.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 17, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much boost on 91 octane gas is your problem. In one of the logs you are at 22.4 psi at 6000 rpm right before knock. 91 octane does not have the knock resistance to consistently handle such boost.

Personally, it is dangerous to run anymore than 24 psi at peak on 91 CA pisstane. I think you are playing with fire and you are going to get burned. I told you that before, but you do not want to listen.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
nj's back! Where you been?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
nj's back! Where you been?
Been around...Been busy with the race car. Just finished an engine swap on the SE-R. Doing an engine swap by yourself is not fun I am racing next weekend in ITA. Hopefully, I will not break something on the car.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Boost is finding its way into the crankcase is my guess. This will force oil out of the oil filler cap and also back into the intake pipe thru the 'fresh air' breather hose. Oil residue in the air intake tract will lower your effective octane level in the fuel mix and allow knock to occur.
Best guess is the PCV valve is starting to fail. It may be sticking occasionally from oil buildup so it might not stick all of the time.

If it is oil residue, the only way oil gets in the combustion chamber is from the turbo oil seals leaking, PCV system, head gasket and worn rings. The PCV is the cheapest and most likely candidate in that scenerio.

Check carefully around your oilpan gasket and valve cover gasket for any small signs of leaks. If even 1-2 psi is able to enter the crankcase, thats enough to compromise your these two gaskets since they're not intended to hold in any positive air pressure. They're usually the weakest link in the crankcase system so its a good tell-tale sign that boost is leaking into the crankcase somehow.

I'm not certain but oil in the mix can show as richer AFR's too I think. Someone else can confirm this or not.
Thanx for the input Jack! This sounds like it could very well be the case... When I was having the boost leak test done, a hose that leads to the valve cover area was still attached and when he started the test, it started steaming up over the cap and oil was squirting out... I'll have to look into this, obviously.
Im assuming that made it even worse? 20psi, twice... He checked the intake, and didnt see anything in the filter/piping.
I'll check that out, before and after logging!

My last log was rich up top too.

I lowered my WGDC tables quite a bit. Gonna start over from scratch, shooting for 24psi!

NJ... I emailed you a couple times...??? GL next weekend!

Now that Im thinking about it, is this a major issue? Meaning, should I even do any pulls/aggresive driving, till I get this squared away?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeeah...replace your pcv valve. I suggest getting an OEM replacement from the dealer. So they saw that this was happening and said nothing about fixing this issue??? Awesome shop. :rolls eyes:

Quick Reply: "Logged Timing" deviating from Timing Map, every log, every time it does, it KNOCKS!!