Notices
ECU Flash

higher boost/lower timing - how far is too far?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
You have more details on that chaos? Stock motor? Built Motor? Any alky failsafes?

Just that 1 cyl damage? Block get vented?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Stock motor, no failsafes that I found, boost level is unknown to us and the overall state of the tune (we didnt tune it). There was no external damage to the block. I went to pull plugs and #1 didnt want to come out, 2 & 3 came out with the straps crushed into the copper, and 4 was okay although it was drenched in oil and coolant. I knew it was had when I pulled the radiator cap and it was dry though.

I cant say with 100% surety though that it was because of the lean mix, I know we prefer rich on any meth mix though just as a precaution. This just happened to be a case of 2+2 to me, though it very well could be a hidden variable or simply bad luck.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Oct 29, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
So how did you know it was running 12.0-12.5 AFR?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if we wanted to run water injection just for the benefits of a cooler charge thus a little bit higher pressure which kit would be better to use?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
So how did you know it was running 12.0-12.5 AFR?
The owner had told us that it was tuned to 12.0-12.5. I dont know where in the rev range this was held to or anything. I just remember him saying that. I will hook up a battery and see what it looks like.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you the motor had been run on h2o for several years @ 12~12.5. Recently added 50/50 meth/h2o. Tune was not changed from h2o tune
failsafe= The psi drops to 10 psi if flow isn't there. via aquamist/ebcs coordination

I've not been the best parent for that motor.

Running down the straight at PIR , about the fifth lap, in fourth gear @6800 rpm when heard a noise and that was it. Other than the smoke machine in the rear view window.
Happened to have been logging at the time. No knock on that lap, although I had one of those large episodes a few laps before.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Is that on a stock turbo? Maybe its because you have a IX turbo and I have the VIII. I can BARELY hit 4* at peak tq with alky@29psi I blame my beat up stock FMIC lol.

Yeah that was stock turbo. Only thing aftermarket was TBE, intake filter and restrictor pill. Granted my Evo likes timing compared to others I have tuned. Dont ask me why, but I can easilly run 2* or better across the board compared to my friends with the same mods, same fuel etc. Must be a Wed car!

SQ
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
or a boost leak lol. Not that you have one but thats the most common reason i find that people can run higher timing than the norm.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 30, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I am sure its coincidence, but every MR I tune seems to like timing and boost both. Jump in a GSR and its not always even one of those let alone both.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Could it be the difference in gearing load perhaps? My car can handle a ton of timing in 3rd but 4th gear can handle it at the track. I know my air temps climb like crazy so thats mostly to do with it though. New FMIC is in my near future
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothere
I can tell you the motor had been run on h2o for several years @ 12~12.5. Recently added 50/50 meth/h2o. Tune was not changed from h2o tune
failsafe= The psi drops to 10 psi if flow isn't there. via aquamist/ebcs coordination

I've not been the best parent for that motor.

Running down the straight at PIR , about the fifth lap, in fourth gear @6800 rpm when heard a noise and that was it. Other than the smoke machine in the rear view window.
Happened to have been logging at the time. No knock on that lap, although I had one of those large episodes a few laps before.
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I respectfully disagree, mixed meth needs to be richer from what i have seen.
*PICS*
*PICS*
50/50 and 12-12.5:1 AFRs. There are many reasons that this could have happened but it doesnt appear that the valve snapped first. I realise its impossible to say but there is NO piston so I think it probably destroyed itself first.
Sorry I was gone, work was closed for the night lol.

nothere:
Any change of mixture of injection if it be 100% h2O 50/50 or 100% meth has to be completly retuned, or you find distruction like the pics. You have to tune it to be safe.

If your tuning to make power on a 50/50 mix not only does your tuning have to be perfect but the kit needs to be set up right. You can change your your tune simply by changing the jet. Or even moving it to a different spot. You can cause major damage from little things. Unfortunatly many people think they can just buy a kit install it any where and have it work.

As for JB, I respect your experience as you have more than most on this forum. I will have to say given the many variables such as evo 8 or 9, which injection kit, how its installed, how much boost, humidity, temp ect. ect. Its hard to blame just leaner AFRS on the distruction of that motor. Even though they could have help the cause.

The pics looks like cylinder number 1. This is the most common cylinder in our cars to fail with an injection system. "hydrogen bond" the very powerful force that causes the water molecules to stick to one another. This bond makes water some what difficult to atomize and mix properly/evenly into all 4 cylinders. Cylinder number 1 is the natrual runt of the injected 4 as it is last to recieve its cooling mix.

I would be very intrested to see the install of this kit so I can pin point a more possiable cause of failure. I would not point this directly at the tune or running to "lean of AFRS" but more towards a change in the injection system, clog or improperly set up system.

As for the 50/50 running richer or leaner, I have to be clear. With the injection set up of you will be technically leaner because the meth adds to your afrs appearing to be richer. To what exact point are you leaner? Again to many variables, depends on what size your injection jets are. How many jets. How much boost. The list keeps going. Expect 11.8- to extreme 12.5 AFRS with a 50/50 injection system. 12.5 is a street/drag and no way should be run on a road course.

I hope this was a little more clear as there are to many variables, before I was just speaking in general for most kits.

Evan Smith

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Oct 30, 2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: making it sound nicer ;)
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

SWing and a line drive, Yes it was cylinder one. Also I appreciate and agree with your expertise and appraisal of what was going on. The thing is this was on a road course and I havent ever tuned a car leaner than 11.0 for 20 min lapping sessions with higher timing and low boost with a splash of racegas added to the mix. This wasnt one of our cars so it is what it is, but even then I dont tune many circuit cars so I err on the side of caution anyway.

Like I had said before (and agree with you on) there were many variables at play I am sure, so it wasnt fair for me to say it was X or Y when it very well could have been Q
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
SWing and a line drive, Yes it was cylinder one. Also I appreciate and agree with your expertise and appraisal of what was going on. The thing is this was on a road course and I havent ever tuned a car leaner than 11.0 for 20 min lapping sessions with higher timing and low boost with a splash of racegas added to the mix. This wasnt one of our cars so it is what it is, but even then I dont tune many circuit cars so I err on the side of caution anyway.

Like I had said before (and agree with you on) there were many variables at play I am sure, so it wasnt fair for me to say it was X or Y when it very well could have been Q
Perfect

See Razorlab...
Forums can be respectful and not always a pissing match (JK)

Evan Smith
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:27 AM
Account Disabled

thats why im always in the 11's even with meth. Before meth I was tuned to 11.1-11.4 a/f with meth im at around 11.7-11.9

Quick Reply: higher boost/lower timing - how far is too far?