ECU Flash

94170015 MAP to MAF Patch:

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb 94170015 and 96530006 MAP to MAF Patch

hello all,

I have completed porting bez's map-to-maf patch to the 94170015 and 96530006(untested) roms. i am happy with the results.

first try:

added idle resolution based on logs:

i have modded tephra's 94170015-5.10 and 96530006-5.10(untested) roms keeping all of his functionality as the MAP patch is pretty transparent.

what this does:

based on what i can tell, there is a map calibration table for your current sensor (mine is and 03 EVO 8 MDP so i have fudged some values that work great lol). it is used solely for this patch. there is a MAP temperature compensation table also solely for this patch which i have kept flat as per bez's original (probably will come in handy when going MAP only i dunno). finally there is a map to maf offset which i have set to 128 (int16/big endian/still need to figure out exactly wtf this does lol/i'll analyze the code when i get time) and a map to maf linear VE Table which i have set to use MAF during the latter ranges (noted value as '255').

basically, when MAP/MDP reading is vacume, the ECU will use MAP/MDP for fueling. you can prabably conclude this by my settings. this is great because I have different IC piping/Agency Power MAF pipe from hell/k&n cone/gt35r/272 cams/injectors/etc etc.

i'm going to loosley conclude that these settings will work great on stock MDP'd evo 8's (94170015 variant) with any maf pipe/intake setup and not cause the dreaded idle stumble. remember, this is in the alpha stage of testing and may not produce my results on another evo. I have driven around a lot and tested this out. also, i have verified MAF is working during boost with my WB02. i have not disabled any maf error routines/so you cannot unplug it.

SETTING THESE TABLES DIFFERENTLY WILL MAKE YOU RUN LINEAR MAP AND THUS LEAN UNDER HIGH BOOST SO DON'T TRY TUNING THIS WITHOUT A WB02/LIVE GAUGE

here are the addresses for 94170015/2byte:

FFFF898C is MAF value emulated by new MAP Routine
FFFF8988 is RAW MAF VALUE
FFFF8984 is RAW MAF value after filter

here are the addresses for 96530006/2byte:

FFFF89B4 is MAF value emulated by new MAP Routine
FFFF89B0 is RAW MAF VALUE
FFFF89AC is RAW MAF value after filter

if the maf filtered value goes over the map emulated value, you will go lean as it will use the map emulated value. this can occur if you drastically change the settings. this can be observed in the logging. with my settings, the map emulated value is always higher above 1000 or so rpms/under throttle/boost/etc. at idle it fluctuates lightly.

tephra: can i post this patch?

here it is:

EDIT: there seems to be a linked RPM value to the lean-spool trailing tables. no biggie, but i think this project is well underway with jcsbanks. thanks for all the input and feedback. i'll fix it, but it'll be useless as the other SD stuff is coming along nicely!

Last edited by evoredy; Feb 6, 2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added tephramod 5.10 map patch/some other info
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
sure thing... although using 5.10 would probably be better

you version looks a lot more simple that what I have seen b4...
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
sure thing... although using 5.10 would probably be better

you version looks a lot more simple that what I have seen b4...
OP udated with link.

i'll patch a 5.10 when all is good. its so damn simple anyways lol it just took me forever to get in tune with everyone else. i'm still not 100% there yet.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you happen to have the settings that would be used for a JDM MAP?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mfr122887
Do you happen to have the settings that would be used for a JDM MAP?
sorry dude, since i don't have one, i cant give you anything trustworthy. it just takes some time and logging. log the MDP/MAP ADC address as that is what this patch uses and fill tables accordingly. i didn't even do that sinch i have faith in my WB02 and throttle lift-off reflexes lol.

EDIT: MAP/MDP ADC: 0xFFFF8416 if that helps any... (note this is only for 94170015 5.8+ versions of tephra's roms. if you log it on other roms, you will get a whole bunch of......nothing )

Last edited by evoredy; Oct 19, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This currently relies on the stock IAT sensor in the MAF for temperature compensation, correct?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
This currently relies on the stock IAT sensor in the MAF for temperature compensation, correct?
i think it uses the maf's sensor...but not sure could be IAT...the table is flat though. i can post all addresses and disam if someone wants to map it out. its really not that much. i'll investigate everything over the next few days.

my idle never stumbles lol though so i'm happy--i even have the OE idle settings too and now will go back to the stock 13 or so's in the low/idle load areas. i really need some more tuning and figuring out/logging what everything does. my car is down for clutch work as of today...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a step in the right direction
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
This is a step in the right direction
yes, i do need a clutch. lol.

thanks, i'll figure this out. in any event, the code can be manipulated to pull stuff from wherever. mixmastermatt i think might have some more useful input...the code is identical to the evo9 limiting/speed density patch. there is nothing but room for this in the 94170015 variant roms--tephra mods and all.

i disassembled both (limiter and full) and cant find the difference between the map to maf routines. i'll keep digging though...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as we can adjust for different MAPs being used, it'll be totally awesome.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good stuff bro

so have you tried running it with a IC piped disconnected?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bnice01
good stuff bro

so have you tried running it with a IC piped disconnected?
no. soon. cant wait. before that happens, i will need a good calibration of my MDP sensor--not hard, just gotta log some stuff. also, need to verify when MAF takes over and adjust it to 2-3PSI max if possible (MDP limit i think).

it should idle fine and rev to about 1200 or so fine with no ic piping as it sits, but i havent tested it. (EDIT: I should VTA my jdm diverter valve lol and youtube it--but no golfballs lol)

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
As long as we can adjust for different MAPs being used, it'll be totally awesome.
technically 3 bar, 4 bar, MDP, whatever should work as long as the 2d map calibration table is good as it sits. hopefully, we can just create hard coded tables later for the flavors of maps out there, but thats into the future. i need to figure out whats up the with map cal voltage units. when in volts16, it reads from 0 to 5, but 0 to 1.xx or so is reference, so i gotta figure out whats up.

--someone may already know the answer here, but i'm pretty new at the evo ecu stuff so it takes me a few [beers]. haha j/k

Last edited by evoredy; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet patch,

Question as to what kinda of hardware you really need to get this going for MAP only?

For example if i can use any MAP sensor i may pull out my 5 bar sensor for the ZT-2 unit and use it here or get another 3 bar sensor and put it where the mdp is. I can weld my own bung onto the UICP for air temps.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Sweet patch,

Question as to what kinda of hardware you really need to get this going for MAP only?

For example if i can use any MAP sensor i may pull out my 5 bar sensor for the ZT-2 unit and use it here or get another 3 bar sensor and put it where the mdp is. I can weld my own bung onto the UICP for air temps.
as long as the stock usdm egr (or whatever the hell the ecu uses it for) system can be calibrated to the zt map sensor, you can replace the stock mdp and use all existing ecu coding/logging/etc.

you will need a good/well placed iat sensor and wire it to the maf's baro/airtemp/whatever wiring making sure the ecu likes it. other than that, its tuning and fooling the ecu telling it the maf is there when its not hehe.

EDIT: oh yeah, massive fuel tune reworking too. not hard though except for me.

Last edited by evoredy; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is good movement on speed density for all. Just a suggestion do not know if it will work, but couldnt you use mrfred's IAT patch and then edit the code according to get the iat readings from the patched iat sensor?

Quick Reply: 94170015 MAP to MAF Patch: