Notices
ECU Flash

Dynos and "Knock"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
exactly! I do think I will be posting up my experience, because my final ROM is/was not IDEAL... No need to start any drama other than I just wasted 2 tanks of gas and the fee for a tune...

2 - 3 counts isnt my issue w/ the tune. #'s werent even the issue! My problem w/ the tune is multiple discrepencies on how the ROM shoud be set up...

screw it, Im not naming any1... So heres my experience!

1. I was told that he would diable leanspool, and tune w/ out. I do a couple pulls the following morning, and notice a dip in AFR between 2500 - 3000. I look up my leanspool maps and it still enabled from 2500 - 2594... I dont understand the methodology on this... I disabled it completely by setting both to 2500 and the dip is gone!

2. I was told that he was gonna be lowering the boost. Which he did NOT! Still hitting 25-26 psi @ peak.

3. My BDEL's and MWGDC's #1 and 3 were his maps, and #2 were the maps from "MY" tune... WTF??? His method of setting up boost is different than Mine/Bryans, and almost every1 elses for that matter. I had MWGDC @ 100% up to 2500 to help spool, but he had a smooth 77% for most of the map(GM BCS)... Since upgrading to the GM BCS I noticed most had it @ 100% till 2000, which is where Im gonna start when I retune my car!

4. TBEC was COMPLETELY zeroed out... Even overboosting corrections were zeroed out.

IDK... From what I have read, all 3 maps should be the same, and when using the GM BCS its even more important to have the TBEC dialed in.

So Basically, now I just want confirmation that MY methodology is on the right path...
Just a word of advice...When you start tuning your own car, then you will not be happy except with your own tune...Keep doing it yourself until you get what you want out of the tune.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
Just a word of advice...When you start tuning your own car, then you will not be happy except with your own tune...Keep doing it yourself until you get what you want out of the tune.
Amen to that brotha!

Last edited by nonschlont; Nov 4, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

I went to the shop because I wanted to upgrade to the GM BCS (not mechanically inclined), and the only shop that does the install, diagnose my issue that I WAS having (IDK what happened) and turn Leanspool off. I have read that people had some issues diabling and tuning initially, and apparently Im lacking in confidence, and tired of chancing it on the streets! but as I go on, Im realizing that my reading is actually paying off. I still have much to learn!
I would also like to find a shop I can deal w/ on a regular for every need of my EVO!

I sent him an e-mail, but I know no matter how I bring this to his attention he will get irritated! I asked him questions on his methodology. But answer me this... All 3 maps should be the same for consistency correct? And what was my BDEL and MWGDC map doing in HIS tune?

Has any else set "LeanSpool to 2500 and 2594, and what is the methodology behind it? I just dont understand... trying to...

I was hoping to be completely happy, and give him a great write up. But when I got home to look at the ROM... well I had many questions...
there's something to be said for keeping things simple....my advice don't mess with lean spool and get a mbc
Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
there's something to be said for keeping things simple....my advice don't mess with lean spool and get a mbc
Leanspool is OFF... now I have spent too much time reading/learning ecuflash and ecu controlled boost to give up and go that route... I'll get it...
Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you switched over to the PSI ecu boost control or are you still using the Load?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lapulapu
have you switched over to the PSI ecu boost control or are you still using the Load?
still using the load based method, but gonna give "direct boost control" a shot this weekend, since I wanna re-tune the car for 24psi. I wanna see what 24psi w/ 5* @ peak will net me, opposed to 26psi w/ 3* @ peak... I have been using a "shortcut" method of tuning, and now I am gonna start from scratch starting w/ like 60% WGDC till I see what I want... Also I wanna try to set the WGDC to 100% up to 2000 and see if I can still keep myself from over shooting the BDEL/over boosting...
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Most likely the extra 2psi at peak torque will get you much more torque then the extra 2* at peak torque.

Back when I was running biggie boost on 91 octane I made more torque with more boost than timing.

Solid is 27psi peak, dotted is 25psi peak:

Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Most likely the extra 2psi at peak torque will get you much more torque then the extra 2* at peak torque.

Back when I was running biggie boost on 91 octane I made more torque with more boost than timing.

Solid is 27psi peak, dotted is 25psi peak:

Thanx Bryan, Good to know! thanx for saving me some time and effort!

Let me ask you this, would you run 26psi daily on your personal evo on 91???
I think 26psi is the sweet spot... but a lil concerned about the lifespan @ 26psi...
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Thanx Bryan, Good to know! thanx for saving me some time and effort!

Let me ask you this, would you run 26psi daily on your personal evo on 91???
I think 26psi is the sweet spot...
The 9's can run more peak boost than the 8's can. Also depends on supporting mods, etc.

Find what your car likes.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
The 9's can run more peak boost than the 8's can. Also depends on supporting mods, etc.

Find what your car likes.
thanx again! will do!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you've progressed to the point where you can dyno tune yourself. Try to find a Mustang or DD dyno locally and schedule some self-tuning time. Sure beats the gas and dyno $$ you will waste having someone else do it. Since it seems there are a lot more of us who are fairly decent at self tuning on the streets but need more consistency to realllly dial in our own tunes, I asked Bryan to make a thread on how to go about self-tuning on a dyno. Not to teach someone how to tune but more on what to do prior to the appointment to save you precious minutes you're paying for. Also some of his wisdom on which things to tackle first so you dont need to revisit a portion of your tune twice. I think he is the man that has the dyno sessions down to a science with tons of evo tunes under his belt so he was the best choice.....and he's cool and I know he wouldn't mind helping everyone out [/*** kissing].

Or....pay Bryan lots of money to drive up to you,lol.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Nov 4, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
I think you've progressed to the point where you can dyno tune yourself. Try to find a Mustang or DD dyno locally and schedule some self-tuning time. Sure beats the gas and dyno $$ you will waste having someone else do it. Since it seems there are a lot more of us who are fairly decent at self tuning on the streets but need more consistency to realllly dial in our own tunes, I asked Bryan to make a thread on how to go about self-tuning on a dyno. Not to teach someone how to tune but more on what to do prior to the appointment to save you precious minutes you're paying for. Also some of his wisdom on which things to tackle first so you dont need to revisit a portion of your tune twice. I think he is the man that has the dyno sessions down to a science with tons of evo tunes under his belt so he was the best choice.....and he's cool and I know he wouldn't mind helping everyone out [/*** kissing].

Or....pay Bryan lots of money to drive up to you,lol.
LOL that would be awesome...

@ this point I have wasted over $1000 on tuning... If I knew then, what I know now, I would have just offered that to Bryan... I tried starting a thread in SoCalEvo to see if there was any interest in getting Bryan to make a tuning trip... and only 1 person responded... Too many fan bois, or too many peeps running MBC's... IDK kinda sucked!

If I were to get some "dyno time" I would definitely need to work on my speed calculating the data, then to calculate the changes... I like to take at least 3 to 4 pulls and look for consistency and average out any inconsistencies. That takes me a while... Im assuming you would make changes after each individual pull on the dyno. And even then it would still take me a min... I still read my logs w/ excell. I need to work on it I guess.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I were to get some "dyno time" I would definitely need to work on my speed calculating the data, then to calculate the changes... I like to take at least 3 to 4 pulls and look for consistency and average out any inconsistencies. That takes me a while... Im assuming you would make changes after each individual pull on the dyno. And even then it would still take me a min... I still read my logs w/ excell. I need to work on it I guess.
This is where his knowledge would save us a crapload of time on the dyno. There are things I can change from one pull to the next like the AFR curve and boost curve but the timing and knock areas I generally need a few pulls for to make sure I don't chase ghosts, unless the knock sum was verry high. If the knock sum was very high in an area I will drop it down a fair amount and slowly creep the timing back up in that area during the following pulls. You want to do a fair amount of logging and improvements in only one pull but its a fine line between focusing on too many items at once and focusing too much on one item.

First I tone down the timing a bit or start with a stock timing map.

Then I usually start with the fuel curve because it stays put for the most part and only needs tweaks in certain areas as the tuning progress'.

Next I dial in the boost curve (depending how close it was from the target boost). If boost is going to go up quite a bit from its current level I may richen the fuel up and dial in the boost curve first.

Last, timing timing timing.

I'd love to read Bryans 'bible' though,lol. I'm sure I'll learn something from him