Notices
ECU Flash

Dynos and "Knock"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynos and "Knock"

I went in for a tune recently... (dynojet) When he was done, I asked if I could hook up my laptop to make sure things were "Kosher"... Well the car was knocking 2 - 3 counts... (nuttin to get excited about, but still. I was told that the dyno produces the knock due to the fans and rollers, and that once on the street it would be "knock free". Of course it knocked on the street too! Has any1 encountered this, or is this a lil bit of B.S.?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
bs
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
bs

Thats what I thought...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
that is a lil bit of B.S.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
Account Disabled

total horse **** hahah but 2-3 count isn't bad...if I kept seeing it in the same place I'd go after and fix it though personally.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I took care of it already.

thanx for the input guys. I knew he was full of ****, but how do you tell some1 that, w/out pissing them off. I knew I would have to touch it up afterwards anyway due to the ****ty dynojet... But WOW! There were sooo many discrepencies in my ROM thats its not even funny! I was gonna wait to get a response from the tuner, but I dont know what he would do for me, but ask me to make another trip and re-tune. 2 1/2 hours away, when I can do the same if not better...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mellon
total horse **** hahah but 2-3 count isn't bad...if I kept seeing it in the same place I'd go after and fix it though personally.
+1
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bro i got then same 2. 3 counts of knock...not big deal car still running good, who tune your car???
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

I don't think we should make it a witch hunt, he just wanted to confirm his thoughts and he's already fixed it anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Find a different tuner. That's about all you can do at this point, IMO.

You tell him he did a crappy job, he'll just get pissed and won't help you out. You tell him you're concerned and he might help you out, but obviously he thought he did a good job so retuning it won't get you anything else but the same tune.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think we should make it a witch hunt, he just wanted to confirm his thoughts and he's already fixed it anyway.
exactly! I do think I will be posting up my experience, because my final ROM is/was not IDEAL... No need to start any drama other than I just wasted 2 tanks of gas and the fee for a tune...

2 - 3 counts isnt my issue w/ the tune. #'s werent even the issue! My problem w/ the tune is multiple discrepencies on how the ROM shoud be set up...

screw it, Im not naming any1... So heres my experience!

1. I was told that he would diable leanspool, and tune w/ out. I do a couple pulls the following morning, and notice a dip in AFR between 2500 - 3000. I look up my leanspool maps and it still enabled from 2500 - 2594... I dont understand the methodology on this... I disabled it completely by setting both to 2500 and the dip is gone!

2. I was told that he was gonna be lowering the boost. Which he did NOT! Still hitting 25-26 psi @ peak.

3. My BDEL's and MWGDC's #1 and 3 were his maps, and #2 were the maps from "MY" tune... WTF??? His method of setting up boost is different than Mine/Bryans, and almost every1 elses for that matter. I had MWGDC @ 100% up to 2500 to help spool, but he had a smooth 77% for most of the map(GM BCS)... Since upgrading to the GM BCS I noticed most had it @ 100% till 2000, which is where Im gonna start when I retune my car!

4. TBEC was COMPLETELY zeroed out... Even overboosting corrections were zeroed out.

IDK... From what I have read, all 3 maps should be the same, and when using the GM BCS its even more important to have the TBEC dialed in.

So Basically, now I just want confirmation that MY methodology is on the right path...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

if you know how it should be done then why did you take it to someone else to be tuned?

on rare occasion I get second guessed by a customer and wonder the same thing...just wanted some insight
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

if you know how it should be done then why did you take it to someone else to be tuned?

on rare occasion I get second guessed by a customer and wonder the same thing...just wanted some insight

I went to the shop because I wanted to upgrade to the GM BCS (not mechanically inclined), and the only shop that does the install, diagnose my issue that I WAS having (IDK what happened) and turn Leanspool off. I have read that people had some issues diabling and tuning initially, and apparently Im lacking in confidence, and tired of chancing it on the streets! but as I go on, Im realizing that my reading is actually paying off. I still have much to learn!
I would also like to find a shop I can deal w/ on a regular for every need of my EVO!

I sent him an e-mail, but I know no matter how I bring this to his attention he will get irritated! I asked him questions on his methodology. But answer me this... All 3 maps should be the same for consistency correct? And what was my BDEL and MWGDC map doing in HIS tune?

Has any else set "LeanSpool to 2500 and 2594, and what is the methodology behind it? I just dont understand... trying to...

I was hoping to be completely happy, and give him a great write up. But when I got home to look at the ROM... well I had many questions...

Last edited by nonschlont; Nov 3, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is a periphery bit that can disable it completely, then the maps won't matter what it says
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by steadly2004
I think there is a periphery bit that can disable it completely, then the maps won't matter what it says
Some periphery bits affect multiple things though and since its not 100% mapped just doing the RPM is better.

For the record I have experimented both ways setting the start stop RPM the same and then offsetting it a small amount. The small offset amount was an idea back in the day because someone thought it hadnt made a difference or something. Dont see it very often and usually not that high of an RPM. I generally set it really low so it wont cause any erratic deadspots or drivability problems (never substantiated but I dont take the chance).