Notices
ECU Flash

Evo 8 ECU in my 2g DSM, help please!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 ECU in my 2g DSM, help please!

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put this 2003 evo8 ecu into my 2g dsm..

I've got all the pins swapped around, but I can't get ecuflash to read from the ecu. The first thing I noticed is that the check engine light DOES NOT come on when I put the key to on. Isn't it supposed to?

When I go to read the ROM off the ECU, this is what happens.

sending init sequence 1 (0001)
sending init sequence 1 (0003)
sending init sequence 1 (FFFF)
sending init sequence 1 (F0F0)
no response to any known code

As you can see I tried the unlocker to no avail.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with the imobilizer. I need to get into the ECU to disable the imobilizer so I can start the car atleast, but I can't even talk to the ECU. Will the ECU even power up if the imobilizer box isn't plugged in?

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Or can at least tell me if the CEL is supposed to come on in the EVO8 when the key is in the on position (with the engine off)? Thanks for any help...

-Will
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:58 PM

I'd double check all your connections. I had issues connecting to my evo ecu once too and it took some wiggling of wires to work out. Also make sure you have pin 79 hooked up to the second wire on the tactrix cable.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

flashing does work with immobilizer enabled.

95-97 dsm don't have the second flashing connector (white) with the cable to pin 79. get one from a evo, or 98-99 dsm. Or just wire it in, with another connector.

with a 1995 dsm cas change the firing and injector order.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Deepnine
flashing does work with immobilizer enabled.

95-97 dsm don't have the second flashing connector (white) with the cable to pin 79. get one from a evo, or 98-99 dsm. Or just wire it in, with another connector.

with a 1995 dsm cas change the firing and injector order.
Well thats good. I cut the connector off the reflash wire, and put a pin on it then plugged it into pin 79 on the ecu. I checked it for continuity, it's good, jumps to 12.4-12.5 volts on each init attempt, then falls to 4.5v.

I'm also running a 1g CAS already, so the firing order stays the same, right?

Last edited by williillii; Dec 27, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hubbard 0
I'd double check all your connections.
The car fires right up with the 1995 ecu. I don't think any of them are bad. The pinout is essentially the same, with the exception of the a/c condensor fan and the fuel pump relay. Unless I have a bad connection between the OBD2 port and the ECU.

Which pins on the evo8 are supposed to run to the diagnostics port? I see pin 62 - datalink connector but it's only that one?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

62 is the only one from the ecu.

check if check engine light is working. if bulb is ok, check wiring to pin 36.
if its ok, too. check if pin 82 gets +12v when key is turned.

1G cas is fine, no change needed.

Should run, is data loggin possible when ignition is on?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:37 PM

I meant check your connections on the harness you may have created.

I also second checking to see if you have datalogging capabilities. I was able to datalog, but not flash because my connection to pin 79 wasn't very good.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:42 PM

I have power to the ECU and I can't connect to it with evoscan. Thinking I got a dead ecu at this point

Only other thing it could be, the last person with this ECU had it tuned by jestrtuning.com . I'm thinking maybe he locked it? He said that is is "most likely locked" but wouldn't tell me how to unlock it...
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If in doubt, try and find someone with an '03/'04 Evo that will let you plug your ecu into their car just to make sure the ecu is ok. Other than that it sounds like you have everything else covered...I'm helping a friend with this swap on his eclipse pretty soon, hopefully we don't have the same issue.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:01 PM

testing

to test ur ecu:::

u need to hook up the powers and grounds of the ecu and so on..

The K line (OBD Pin 7) goes to ECU Pin 62
OBD Pin 4 & 5 are to ground
OBD Pin 16 is 12v+

DLC Connector pin 26 (according to the Mitsu Schematic, its the bottom right pin if you look at your connector with the Tang up) goes to ECU Pin 79.. The connector on the Tactrix cable has 3 pins wired, so I'm assuming different models might have this pin located in different positions.

In order to get the ECU To power up on the bench, you need the 3 power and 2 grounds connected, I also wired a light to the CEL, it makes sense since the CEL light will come on if the ECU boots.

12v+ switched power goes to pin 12 and 25 on the ECU
Ground goes to pins 13 and 26 on the ECU (its the leftmost connector on your ECU if your looking at it with the label up, and harness tangs facing up)

Constant 12v+ power goes to pin 80, thats on the right-most connector. This is the memory backup, disconnecting this essentially wipes the ECU as if the battery was disconnected.

Finally the CEL light is Pin 36 (second connector) which is switched to ground, therefore the CEL light would be wired to a 12v+ source and its ground wire to this pin. When the CEL transistor initializes, the light switches on.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:33 PM

^thanks for that info.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

why didnt you just go eprom and dsm link?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 96eclipseGST
why didnt you just go eprom and dsm link?
Got an eprom ecu, and I'd rather fight with ecuflash than pay someone over $500 for an eprom chip for an 13 year old computer. I got the evo ecu for $75. But who knows I may just get fed up and ditch it for DSMLink if I can't get it working.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:18 PM

You shouldnt have a problem if you followed the pinouts as you posted and recheck the connections. So far, plenty of people have completed this swap on dsmtuners. As for the plug to flash, all that connects with the tactrix for ecuflash is a chasis ground, so just obtain the plug and use the wire and ground it. Im doing this swap with slo_crx soon but I'm not worrying about the A/C and stuff since I have it removed. Goodluck with it man
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:27 PM

The reflash connector isn't a ground, it has 4.5V going through it until ecuflash starts sending the init codes then it spikes to 12.5V on each attempt. You're going to want to hook that to pin 79. Good luck to you as well.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 ECU in my 2g DSM, help please!