Notices
ECU Flash

difference between load based boost control and direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
difference between load based boost control and direct boost control

Hi what are the differences between the two? Is one better then the other. I plan on using the GM 3port and a JDM MAP sensor combo, which would be better for me to use and easier to setup. From what ive read, the direct boost control is set at a target and auto adjust to keep at the target psi but the load based allows for finer adjustments through the RPM range. Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by daisaw1219
Hi what are the differences between the two? Is one better then the other. I plan on using the GM 3port and a JDM MAP sensor combo, which would be better for me to use and easier to setup. From what ive read, the direct boost control is set at a target and auto adjust to keep at the target psi but the load based allows for finer adjustments through the RPM range. Thanks
Load-based boost control will raise/lower boost to reach a target load, whereas direct boost control will raise/lower boost to reach a target boost level.

The relationship between load and boost changes slightly with weather conditions, so using load-based boost control will result in the boost being a little different depending on weather.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one would better stop the boost spikes on a quick-spooling turbo?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by not2slo128
Which one would better stop the boost spikes on a quick-spooling turbo?
Proper tuning of all the boost tables available would work to lessen the boost spikes with either control method.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:13 PM

Which one do you personally prefer/recommend?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by not2slo128
Which one do you personally prefer/recommend?
I prefer the stock load control system, because the power-differences with the boost control systems between winter and sommer is to big. This is the big advantage with the load control . You are having sommer and winter as well the the same power.

Last edited by h101171; Jan 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:18 PM

if what you say about inter-season stability is true, then shouldn't the ECU raise boost in the summer and lower in the winter to maintain a constant load?

I have found my car to do the opposite using the stock load controlled implementation.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:44 PM

The stock ecu doesn't use raw 2byte load to control boost. It uses a different load variable that has corrections for temp and pressure added. In this way during warmer weather the stock boost variable can be up to 20 load less than the raw 2byte, meaning the ecu will add wastgate in an attempt to reach the load targets that have not changed.

At least I think thats how it works.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by XR6T
The stock ecu doesn't use raw 2byte load to control boost. It uses a different load variable that has corrections for temp and pressure added. In this way during warmer weather the stock boost variable can be up to 20 load less than the raw 2byte, meaning the ecu will add wastgate in an attempt to reach the load targets that have not changed.

At least I think thats how it works.
On the EDM ROM versions, I don't think there are any pressure corrections as the ECU is not fitted with any MAP sensor.
As far as I can observe, the boost is load controlled... and it is quite higher during cold winter conditions.