Notices
ECU Flash

Differences between EvoScan and Tactrix cable?

Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between EvoScan and Tactrix cable?

The cable I bought from EvoScan/Limitless arrived yesterday and I need some help!

I'm having the issue where the ABS and ACD lights flash until the car goes over 15 mi/h. According to a post I found last night, this has to do with "pin number 1" and I should remove that pin.

I'm also having an issue with EcuFlash. When I try flashing the car my log gives me:
[16:58:37.221] sending init sequence 1 (0001)
[16:58:40.471] sending init sequence 1 (0003)
[16:58:43.721] sending init sequence 1 (FFFF)
[16:58:46.425] no response to any known code
[16:58:46.425] interface close
EvoScan will log correctly, however.

Are my issues with EcuFlash related to the pins on the cable? I compared my cable to my friends Tactrix cable and noted quite a few differences. See the pin-outs below. I can post pictures if needed, but they are somewhat hard to see.

P = Pin
N = No pin
T = Tab
Tactrix version 1.3m
\ N P N P P N N N /
_\P P N N N N N P/

|N N T T P N N|
|P N N N N N P|

EvoScan
\ N P N P P N N P /
_\P P N N N P N P/

|N N T T N N N|
|P N N N N N N|

Please help...do I need to return this cable and order a Tactrix?

Just for FYI purposes I am running this on Windows XP using VMWare Fusion on my Mac. The Mac version of EcuFlash will also not work.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) tactrix no longer sells openport1.3U cables.
2) you are already using a tactrix design. evoscan/limitless manufacture identical cables from the same design. Many EvoScan cables were manufactured from the same company in USA as the tactrix cables, the latest ones are currently manufactured in china.
3) 90% of mitsubishis need pin1 for dataloging to work. if you have an evo7/8/9 and don't want to datalog AYC/ABS then by all means just open and pull the pin1 from the harness. EFI datalogging will still work by default.
4) did you plug the reflashing cable in? silly question, but it has to be asked
5) what vehicle make/model year do you have? silly question, but it makes a huge difference to whether ecuflash is designed for your vehicle.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
He has a USDM Evo IX GSR, as do I (the owner of the "friend's" cable). His cable is definitely different than mine. I have two extra pins in the white plug (Tactrix 1.3 cable) and he has two extra (I think it was two) pins in the black plug (Evoscan cable).
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

2 extra pins, lol thats funny. did you know its just two cut wires that go no where 2cms max. they are just to hold the plug firm when you disconnect it.

2 extra pins in the plug (maybe) is not very specific
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by evo4mad
1) tactrix no longer sells openport1.3U cables.
This is why I went with the EvoScan/Limitless cable, I didn't want to spend $200 for features I didn't need.

2) you are already using a tactrix design. evoscan/limitless manufacture identical cables from the same design. Many EvoScan cables were manufactured from the same company in USA as the tactrix cables, the latest ones are currently manufactured in china.
Can you explain the differences between my cable and S2Kracka's? See pin-out diagram in my original post.

3) 90% of mitsubishis need pin1 for dataloging to work. if you have an evo7/8/9 and don't want to datalog AYC/ABS then by all means just open and pull the pin1 from the harness. EFI datalogging will still work by default.
Should I remove this pin? I'll only be using it with my Evo IX. Which pin is pin 1?

4) did you plug the reflashing cable in? silly question, but it has to be asked
Yep, both plugs are being plugged in, into the correct connectors, inserted the correct way.

5) what vehicle make/model year do you have? silly question, but it makes a huge difference to whether ecuflash is designed for your vehicle.
As S2Kracka noted, I have a USDM Evo IX. We've used S2Kracka's cable to log and flash my car dozens of times.

2 extra pins in the plug (maybe) is not very specific
My black plug has 8 pins, S2Kracka's has 6. My White plug has 1 pin and S2Kracka's has 3. Refer to the pin-out diagram in my first post ( I can post pics if it will help). Our cables are much different, I'm not sure this explains my problems.

Wednesday, next time I see S2Kracka, we're going to try his cable on my computer and my cable on his computer.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 12, 2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Nevermind
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah try his cable on your computer. if the datalogging works with my cable, then it should have no problems at all. also try v1.38 ecuflash hacked version, in case it is the serial being blocked by ecuflash.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah try his cable on your computer. if the datalogging works with my cable, then it should have no problems at all. also try v1.38 ecuflash hacked version, in case it is the serial being blocked by ecuflash.
G'day Hamish,

I'm also getting the ACD ABS flashing when at idle to maybe 10kph, I have connected both ends securely into PC & ports in the Evo IX. I've only logged the once & everything was logging no problem I believe, as this is the 1st time ever & I'm not sure what should be showing 100% in the logs.

I'm waiting on my wideband before I start 'logging proper' for my tuner & haven't flashed to the ecu but did save a copy of my rom.

Does this flashing represent a fault or any concern before I log for real? Thanks for your time Hamish.

Regards Steve
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:57 PM
Former Sponsor

flashing ABS/ACD lights is how Mitsubishi designed it, this is normal. if you like you can remove pin1 to stop the flashing. in effect this turns off the ABS/AYC diagnostics mode, the EFI mode will still work fine without pin1 for your vehicle.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
flashing ABS/ACD lights is how Mitsubishi designed it, this is normal. if you like you can remove pin1 to stop the flashing. in effect this turns off the ABS/AYC diagnostics mode, the EFI mode will still work fine without pin1 for your vehicle.
Thanks Hamish & a late Happy New Year mate.

Cheers Steve
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:17 PM

Hamish,

I to have an openport 1.3u. I get the same message as the original poster.
I am running an evo 8 ecu in my 2g eclipse. I have swapped all the necessary pins and added a pin to 79 which is the flash port pin. I get a check engine light with the key on as well, so the ecu is ok. I can't read or flash it though. i am using ecuflash 1.29a. I have tried it on 2 different laptops. Is there a problem with the cable.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

These EvoScan cables are nothing but trouble! I'm glad I got a Tactrix ones before they got expensive since they at least work w/o modification (as all products should).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:21 PM

yeah, i can even start my car because i cant disable the immobilizer
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:00 AM

I PM'd evo4mad on 16 January but have not yet heard back. I tried using the cracked version of ecuflash, but I have version 1.4 and the latest cracked version is 1.38 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...cable-fix.html)

Based upon that thread it looks like it has something to do with the serial number in the cable itself. It also looks like there may be a possibility of updating the cable with a new, correct length serial number.

Unfortunately, without a reply from evo4mad, I'm completely helpless right now and my cable is still non-functional with EcuFlash.

Hopefully someone else has some opinions...I'd really like to avoid paying twice the price for a Tactrix cable.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

The cables are not the problem, ecuflash decided to implement a serial number system. there are plenty of tactrix cables with the same issues, and no mods are required to the evoscan cable because they are made from the same factory, you can't say that evoscan is better than tactrix or vice versa because they are the same cable. lol. and even made by the same factory and programmed by the same person, lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differences between EvoScan and Tactrix cable?