Notices
ECU Flash

Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lemmonhead
The sole purpose of the EGR system is to reduce the formation of Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). .............................. from the car, but do not disable it in the ECM, you will run into significant problems. You will likely run into detonation, the engine will run very poorly, lack power, and will probably run on the hot side as well. In addition, you will get a code 32 before running very long. If you recall from before, the ECM alters fuel and spark advance when it thinks EGR should be on. If no EGR flow is possible because you removed it, you will have a lean condition which will be further aggravated by advanced timing.
I understand how the egr system works, my question was directed towards the FPR solenoid. is the fuel pressure altered when the egr system is activated? is the FPR solenoid only for the egr system, or does it serve another purpose?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I got it primarily by taking notes and paying close attention to what mrfred has posted for the last 6 months.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by merlin.oz
I got it primarily by taking notes and paying close attention to what mrfred has posted for the last 6 months.
the function of the FPR?

care to share with the class?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry, I dont think I have ever seen a write-up on FPR tickling from the disassemblers.
The long-time tuners probably know why its done though.
razorlab???
Old Feb 4, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question - if you disable the fuel pressure solenoid and still have it connected does it stay open or closed. i.e. is it normally open or normally closed?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I too have stayed on top of this stuff (its kind of a requisite considering how fast stuff if found and developed) but, never came across that info. Thanks again.

So I assume this does disable the FPR solenoid? If so the only way around this would be to disable each bit individually?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by magyar86
yes you can just change all the evap and egr stuff to zero or the easiest way is to change the periphery 2 hex to 0001 (you have to enter it as 0x0001) and yes when you do that you can take the solenoids completely...
This method worked perfectly. I did this and have not thrown a code with the EGR, evap, FPR, etc. solenoids completely unplugged and removed. Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with this. I need to enable the FPR as the car I'm currently working is still using the OEM FP solenoid and FPR. I have disabled all the EGR related bits (FAA bit 11, FCA bit 14, 13, and 9) and have left the FP solenoid related bits active (FCA bit 15, FDA bit 11) although FEA bit 7 is a fuel pressure circuit item, it is disabled from the factory for some odd reason.

I'm having issues from going back to OEM injectors from FIC750s (idle is lean with STFT low not registering and O2 feedback pinned at +25 and am trying to eliminate possible issues.

If anyone can confirm that what I've done to eliminate EGR related items while keeping FP related items activate I would appreciate it. It appears as though what I've got is correct but, another set of eyes would be nice. Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Need help with this. I need to enable the FPR as the car I'm currently working is still using the OEM FP solenoid and FPR. I have disabled all the EGR related bits (FAA bit 11, FCA bit 14, 13, and 9) and have left the FP solenoid related bits active (FCA bit 15, FDA bit 11) although FEA bit 7 is a fuel pressure circuit item, it is disabled from the factory for some odd reason.

I'm having issues from going back to OEM injectors from FIC750s (idle is lean with STFT low not registering and O2 feedback pinned at +25 and am trying to eliminate possible issues.

If anyone can confirm that what I've done to eliminate EGR related items while keeping FP related items activate I would appreciate it. It appears as though what I've got is correct but, another set of eyes would be nice. Thanks
Is it required to keep the FPR solenoid if your use the oem fuel pressure regulator?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all the FPR solonoid does is not let the FPR get vac at startup, witch then makes the fuel pressure higher when you first start it. i took out my solonoid and i have stock FPR and havent noticed anything. maybe if its reallly cold you might notice something. so again all the FPRS does is not let the FPR get vac when you first start, witch then makes the FP higher.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
This method worked perfectly. I did this and have not thrown a code with the EGR, evap, FPR, etc. solenoids completely unplugged and removed. Thank you!
no problem sir!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by magyar86
all the FPR solonoid does is not let the FPR get vac at startup, witch then makes the fuel pressure higher when you first start it. i took out my solonoid and i have stock FPR and havent noticed anything. maybe if its reallly cold you might notice something. so again all the FPRS does is not let the FPR get vac when you first start, witch then makes the FP higher.
thanks for reply
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
thanks for reply
ur quite welcome!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
This might help evo8dad.

<!-- *** ECU PERIPHERY *** -->

<table name="ECU Periphery0 (FAA) Bits" category="Periphery" address="faa" type="2D" level="2" scaling="blobbits">
<table name="Periphery Bit Number" type="Static Y Axis" flipy="true" elements="16">
<data>bit.01, 0=Disable Rear O2 Test and fault report .</data>
</table>
</table>
merlin.oz,

How did you determine this? I'm curious because I've been looking at the subroutines that use this bit, and I don't think this description of it is correct.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Code:
<!--  *** ECU PERIPHERY ***  -->

<table name="ECU Periphery0 (FAA) Bits" category="Periphery" address="faa" type="2D" level="2" scaling="blobbits">
<table name="Periphery Bit Number" type="Static Y Axis" flipy="true" elements="16">
<data>bit.01, 0=Disable Rear O2 Test and fault report .</data>
</table>
</table>
Not sure how this description of Periphery0 FAA bit.1 got out there, but its not entirely correct. It apparently will stop a rear O2 CEL, but it also prevents the long term fuel trims from operating. I recommend against using this bit to disable a rear O2 CEL. There are better ways to do it that do not have negative side effects.

Quick Reply: Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids