Notices
ECU Flash

Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question - has anyone had high idle (3K) at cold start up? One the cars I have here now that I have disabled this stuff on has a high cold start up idle. The idle eventually comes down to a purr like idle at 900ish but, was curious to know if anyone has had this issue and what they did to solve it? I assume possibly idle stepper table adjustments?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8dad
Quick question - has anyone had high idle (3K) at cold start up? One the cars I have here now that I have disabled this stuff on has a high cold start up idle. The idle eventually comes down to a purr like idle at 900ish but, was curious to know if anyone has had this issue and what they did to solve it? I assume possibly idle stepper table adjustments?
I havent had that problem
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have the cold engine timing retard disabled?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
fyi, i finally was able to start the car with this patch and i hooked up my ob2 reader and there were no CEL's and no incompletes related to egr/fpr/evap. startup is about the same, maybe a tad rougher for a few seconds (I started the evo in -1C weather)

im looking forward to a clean intake manifold
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by magyar86
all the FPR solonoid does is not let the FPR get vac at startup, witch then makes the fuel pressure higher when you first start it. i took out my solonoid and i have stock FPR and havent noticed anything. maybe if its reallly cold you might notice something. so again all the FPRS does is not let the FPR get vac when you first start, witch then makes the FP higher.
does this cause any problems?

what if you have an aftermarket fpr?

just general curiousity
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S2kracka
Do you have the cold engine timing retard disabled?
FAA bit 10?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The reason I ask is because the engines seem to idle very high (around 3k RPM) when cold with this disabled. I've found its best to cut the stock values in half. No super high idle when cold and no stuttering when cold traveling at low speeds.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you put the block off plate on? I had NO ill effects idle-wise with this disabled. Matter of fact, my cold idle doesn't jump as high as it used to.

-E
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

mine idles around 2000-2200 on cold start. i lowered idle stepper some and it seems to be bringing it revs down faster, i havent messed with it too much as i wasnt too worried about it but i think i might mess with it a little more and see if i can get it to stay around 1500ish.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

FAA bit 10?
if the notes i have are correct FAA bit 9 is "enable warmup ign retard" i still have mine enabled, has anyone tried this and found it helps/cures the high cold start rpm?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by magyar86
yes you can just change all the evap and egr stuff to zero or the easiest way is to change the periphery 2 hex to 0001 (you have to enter it as 0x0001) and yes when you do that you can take the solenoids completely...
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I turned off the EGR by changing FCA bit 9 to 0.
So, either one of those two would work on turning off the p0401 (EGR) code even without taking the EGR valve?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
So, either one of those two would work on turning off the p0401 (EGR) code even without taking the EGR valve?
As Mr Turco said, setting FCA bit9 = 0 will disable the EGR OBD-II test, and it will show up as "Not Supported" on an OBD scanner. As far as I know, "Not Supported" is a perfectly acceptable (while "Not Complete" or "Not Ready" is unacceptable). If you run a scanner on your car now, you'll see that there are several tests that are "Not Supported" with a completely stock ROM.

Yep, it will do this without having to touch the EGR valve.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
As Mr Turco said, setting FCA bit9 = 0 will disable the EGR OBD-II test, and it will show up as "Not Supported" on an OBD scanner. As far as I know, "Not Supported" is a perfectly acceptable (while "Not Complete" or "Not Ready" is unacceptable). If you run a scanner on your car now, you'll see that there are several tests that are "Not Supported" with a completely stock ROM.
That is correct. Everyone i turn it off in has passed emissions no problem and MA is pretty strict about emissions.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I disabled FAA bit 11 (set to 1), FCA bit 9 and set all the EGR related tables to zero, including high/low octane EGR enabled advance, Base EGR duty, Secondary EGR duty, EGR coolant temp correction, Alternate EGR Duty.

Drivability off idle was unchanged but idle was terribly rough.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
That is correct. Everyone i turn it off in has passed emissions no problem and MA is pretty strict about emissions.
great info i have actuall been waiting for someone to test this in a strict emission state, i am in ma also!

Quick Reply: Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids