Notices
ECU Flash

Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids

Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
great info i have actuall been waiting for someone to test this in a strict emission state, i am in ma also!
let me know if you need any help, maybe we could meet up. I have _not_ tested the EVAP being disabled. I fear it will not pass but will be testing this out in the near future when i have a car that is due for testing.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
any input?

Originally Posted by magyar86 View Post
all the FPR solonoid does is not let the FPR get vac at startup, witch then makes the fuel pressure higher when you first start it. i took out my solonoid and i have stock FPR and havent noticed anything. maybe if its reallly cold you might notice something. so again all the FPRS does is not let the FPR get vac when you first start, witch then makes the FP higher.

does this cause any problems?

what if you have an aftermarket fpr?

just general curiousity
Old Feb 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Also curious. I have an Aeromotive FPR but still have the stock FPRS connected, if I can get rid of the solenoid and not have any side affects I'm all for it. The less BS in the engine bay the better
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys can get rid of them.

-E
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

What's the best way to remove the evap solenoid from the intake? What all has to be removed what needs to be capped etc.? I can't seen to find any info on this. Will there be any issues if it is removed. I figured this might be the best plac to ask since it's kind of related & some of you may have already done this.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Do you need a diagram?

All I did was cap off the TB ports on top and removed all the vacuum lines and the solenoids. The FPR has its own direct line now to the intake manifold where it went to the FPR Solenoid. The thicker black line at the bottom of the Evaporative Emissions canister is now vented to atmosphere.

Let me know if you have any questions as I did this last week and it is still fresh in my memory.

-E

Last edited by Wicked E; Apr 7, 2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Old Apr 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanx for the diagram that's nice to have. So I just leave the large hose going from the evap solenoild to the rear of the car open to vent & cap off the nipple on the intake correct?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Thanx for the diagram that's nice to have. So I just leave the large hose going from the evap solenoild to the rear of the car open to vent & cap off the nipple on the intake correct?

You're going to have 3 nipples open if you remove everything in that diagram from the back of the intake manifold. The middle port on the front of the manifold and the 2 on the TB.

I wished I had photoshop on this damn computer so I can circle crap on the diagram but if I'm not making sense, just let me know and I'll do my best to explain it.

You are removing everything correct?

-E
Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this topic is back I have a question. I completly removed all this stuff about 2 months and I would like to hear what others have done on this... on the rear of the vehicle when you removed all the EVAP crap your left with 2 steel tubes that are open. Tube A runs to the engine bay and comes up near the fuel feed/return tubes, and tube B seems to run upwards along the fuel tank filler hose. I capped both both ends of the tube running to the engine bay, but the larger tube running upwards I used a "C" shaped hose to put on the end so it could still vent and not get any water/crap in there. Whatr have others done with these tubes? I can take a picture if my description is a little wack.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E

You're going to have 3 nipples open if you remove everything in that diagram from the back of the intake manifold. The middle port on the front of the manifold and the 2 on the TB.

I wished I had photoshop on this damn computer so I can circle crap on the diagram but if I'm not making sense, just let me know and I'll do my best to explain it.

You are removing everything correct?

-E
Yes, I'll be removing all 3. The FPR solenoid, EGR, & evap solenoid. I apreciate the help man.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Yes, I'll be removing all 3. The FPR solenoid, EGR, & evap solenoid. I apreciate the help man.
I found it easier to remove the strut tower bar to make it easier to reach back there. You'll need 12mm either deep socket or ratcheting wrench. There will be 4 bolts holding that gold vacuum plumbing to the intake manifold. You will then find the large hose coming from the driver's side. I had to cut mine because there was no way that thing was coming off the nipple without some serious force.

Just take your vacuum line from the FPR and go directly the nipple off the intake manifold. Then take one of the vacuum lines from the top of the throttle body and loop it into the nipple right next to it. (You can also use a cap for these if you want but I went the easier route but just looping them. Then you'll be left with the nipple in the front-middle of the intake manifold (I just shoved a bolt into this line until I find a cap (I will be using this nipple for my Buschur Double Pumper Hobbs Switch at some point).

That should be all. If you get stuck and need help, you can hit me up on AIM or PM me here and I'll do my best to walk you through it. It seems intimidating at first but once you unbolt the metal vacuum guide from the back of the manifold, everything starts making sense.

Good luck!!

-E
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanx for the walk thru, but I jsut pulled my motor last weekend & pulled the intake mani to send it out for porting so everything is already off. I just want to do a clean install when it goes back on. If I run into any issues along the way I'll be sure to ask. Thanx again for all the help.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:27 PM

Hey Wicked E,

I want to bypass the FPR solenoid on my Evo5. Do I just run a vacuum line from the manifold directly to the regulator? Should I leave the solenoid plugged in? Do I need to cap off the two ports on the solenoid, loop them, or leave it open?

Can a faulty solenoid cause the FPR to not see boost? I'm getting weird lean AFR readings when I log the car @ WOT, AFR is remaining between 13-14, and that's not good.

Maybe the FPR itself has gone bad? Thus unable to increase the pressure 1:1?

Could it be a clogged fuel filter, dirty injectors, failing fuel pump?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is slightly off topic, but everyone is talking about the Intake manifold and such. Well I run a AMS VSR manifold and BBK 75mm TBody. This does not have a place for the IAC so it is currently taped up and hanging and not an issue with my AEM, but when I swap to the reflash for emissions, does the IAC throw a code, or can I connect the factory end and let it hang or is there something I can disable as well for that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling EGR and fuel pressure solenoids