Notices
EcuFlash

Problem with ecuflash 1.41

Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...I tried to write to the ecu several times. Finally got the idea to have my wife hold her foot on the gas. Finally found a point of voltage where the program would write to the ecu. I got the battery to 12.5 volts. Suddenly it wrote. Just to test this theory i tried again at 12.4 volts. It would not write. Tried several times at voltages under 12.5. Then tried again at 12.5 volts. Worked like a charm. Did it a few more times at 12.5v and would write.

This voltage issue should be something that should be looked into. The progrm should operate at 12.0 volts not 12.5. It makes sence that one of the guys said that 90% of the time you have to have the car running and let ecuflash shut the car off. While the car is running it holds 14 volts bc of the alternator charging. It takes about 1 to 2 minutes for the car to go back to 12. Hence why the program will write.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt have this problem with the older versions of flash just this one.Its sensitive to the volts for some reason.Glad to hear you got it worked out.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, never had this issue before this version. I am so glad you got it working buddy!!

-E
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Glad you got it running bro. Glad I could help
Old Feb 7, 2009, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edit
Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyloc View Post
ok...I tried to write to the ecu several times. Finally got the idea to have my wife hold her foot on the gas. Finally found a point of voltage where the program would write to the ecu. I got the battery to 12.5 volts. Suddenly it wrote. Just to test this theory i tried again at 12.4 volts. It would not write. Tried several times at voltages under 12.5. Then tried again at 12.5 volts. Worked like a charm. Did it a few more times at 12.5v and would write.

This voltage issue should be something that should be looked into. The progrm should operate at 12.0 volts not 12.5. It makes sence that one of the guys said that 90% of the time you have to have the car running and let ecuflash shut the car off. While the car is running it holds 14 volts bc of the alternator charging. It takes about 1 to 2 minutes for the car to go back to 12. Hence why the program will write.
There might be a set reason to only have it work above 12 volts, I doubt it was just put into the program by chance.

You running a mini battery when you conducted these tests?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi View Post

You running a mini battery when you conducted these tests?
Nope. I have a full size 800 cranking amp battery.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Clean the terminals off to bare shiny metal, both cable and battery. I think the battery is not getting a full charge when being ran. Does the car sit for most of the week ?

You can do a drop test to check the battery under load too. It may be one weak cell in it.

Glad to hear you got it flashed...good work on testing for voltage. The older versions of EcuFlash would try even if the voltage was a little low, and would scramble the rom. Probably Colby tried to ensure it would not happen. Obviously it checks, but if the voltage drops during the write, then you have an incomplete write..same scenario

I never had an issue until last week and tried to flash a cold car that had sat overnight at 25F. Would not read the rom off the car. Started and warmed it up and it was fine. Has to be slightly low voltage.

rule of thumb....start it and get the battery charged first
Old Feb 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyloc View Post
Nope. I have a full size 800 cranking amp battery.
Fair enough. The highlighted below is more why i could see them having this implemented (i.e it not being by chance)

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR View Post
The older versions of EcuFlash would try even if the voltage was a little low, and would scramble the rom. Probably Colby tried to ensure it would not happen.
Anyway once you got it charged thats the important thing and now people know to look out for this in the future. YOu could optionally roll back to an older EcuFlash once you don't need any functionality from the newer ones but then you run the risk of the highlighted above I suppose .

Last edited by codgi; Feb 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM.