Notices
ECU Flash

Tuning JDM Evo VI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning JDM Evo VI

I'm about to purchase a JDM Evo VI and have previous experience tuning Honda K Series motors and am looking forward to trying my hand at evo tuning.

From what I understand so far openport 2.0 is compatible with the VI ecu. I plan to use EcuFlash to tune and have been reading up on using EvoScan but understand that it is not yet compatible with 2.0

What would you guys recommend I use to log?

PCMScan is a bit $$$ for basic functionality..and I can't find anything on this forum about Scan-XL an option I saw here: http://openecu.org/index.php?title=Downloads

Any suggestions? If I do have to go with PCMScan will I have issues with the VI ecu?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the VI ecu. There just isn't enough support for those roms. Instead you should swap out the VI ecu for a VII and run the 90550001 rom with Tephra mods. I'm based in NY but from Trinidad and working closely with a friend in Trinidad who owns a built VI GSR with a IX turbo running a VII ecu. The swap is painless and you will be able to reflash and log using the OpenPort 1.3U cable.

This method is already being used by several enthusiasts in the UK who frequent both this and the MLR forums.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
some extra info:

*Swap pins 32 and 34 around
*connect pin 20 to 32
*connect pin 21 to pin 34 (after they have been swapped over)
*disconnect pin 87

Attached Thumbnails Tuning JDM Evo VI-evo7ecupins2726989fk6.jpg  
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The US8 ECU will work too, but additionally you have to swap 8 and 22.

It's not just in the UK that this is being done. Ask Cossie1 who helped him with his swap.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wreckleford
The US8 ECU will work too, but additionally you have to swap 8 and 22.

It's not just in the UK that this is being done. Ask Cossie1 who helped him with his swap.
It was yourself that gave me all the info I needed to do the swap originally

As above the USDM 8 ecu will work fine, however there is no SAS control with the USDM ecu, so if you wanted the ALS (anti-lag) effects to work, you would need a JDM 7 ecu.

The 6 ecu can be flashed with the openport 2.0, but you can't go to mad with it, as the xml's that I wrote (and are included with the latest ecuflash) are far from perfect, and most rpm and scaling address's are probablly incorrect, they just "fit" so you can see the rom correctly, as at the time I did them, you could not reflash the 5 or 6 ecu there was no need to make sure the XML's were 100% correct, and I can't disassemble to save my life
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, think I may go with the USDM 8 ecu as wreckleford suggested as it may prove a little easier to source..Thanks again.