Notices
ECU Flash

tailpipe "sniffer" wideband o2 that evoscan can log??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailpipe "sniffer" wideband o2 that evoscan can log??

hey guys im looking to make a tailpipe mounted "sniffer" WBO2 sensor so i can tune evos that dont have a wideband already installed in there car or ppl that have like a autometer or something that cant be logged with evoscan. so has anyone found a good one that can be logged with evoscan? im sure i can rig up a AEM WB but i would rather find something thats a little neater/cleaner and easier to move from car to car. thanks in advance!

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We use a Innovate LM1 and the Innovate tailpipe clamp. The LM1 is powered by the cig lighter and is designed for portability. The tailpipe clamp works pretty good too. Some Mufflers that change diameter at the tip can cause problems getting good AFR results at idle but we've had no problems reading at WOT on any cars.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

sweet! i was actually looking one there website a sec ago. if you dont mide can you give me the part numbers/links to everything i would need so i dont mess up and get the wrong stuff. THANKS!!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:23 PM

I would consider buying exhaust clamp from innovate - very often it shows too lean mixture when tailpipe has big diameter in comparison with muffler output diameter. In evo x I was not able to get good readings with aftermarket exhaust (2 huge pipes) - only self made pipe that can go deeper inside tailpipe does the job.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

i see that the lm-2 is out and is the same price, has anyone used that and got evoscan to log it? its the same price so would it be better to get the lm1 or lm2? and then get the clamp for tailpipe.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

the lm-2 is a self contained unit, while the lc-1 needs a laptop to log. However the lc-1 will operate basically in the dark, while you will need to touch the keypad on the lm-2.

So for a permanent install the lc-1 is a good way to go.

Before the onslaught of terror warnings, I've never had an issue with my lc-1. I'm no genius, I just followed the directions on the install. DON'T think you can connect it from logic, use the directions.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Some people had a problem with the firmware in the LC-1 Myself included. The moment I reinstalled the firmware, problem solved.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had my Innovative LC-1 now for a while never had to recalibrate and never had it do anything weird. I believe it gives me a good reading because I tuned it to a 11.5 afr wot and have had no problems yet. Running about 24psi sometimes it'll creep to like 25 via the jdm map sensor.

Just gotta do like nothere said and follow the directions. Its not as easy as power ground signal. Its more like all the grounds need to be on the same source. But if you cant solder them to a single lug then you need to make sure that you connect them all on seperate lugs so there's no interference. I make sure I ground everything to the motor. From there you can go buy some nice grounding straps and add some extras. I moved my battery to the back and have just a couple extra grounding straps up front car starts and hasnt died yet. I went with a smaller battery to keep weight down but its still not a mini battery. Just buy a box from summit and a good 0 gauge welding lead for the power. If anyone wanted to relocate the battery. lol.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

yea im not looking for a permanent install, i need something that can be moved from car to car easily and be able to log it with evoscan. so im assuming that the lm2 is the way to go then? thanks for all the replys guys!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

magyar86, I have no experience with the LM2, it was not out when I bought the LM1 setup we have now. I just asked our supplier for Innovate Clamp and LM1, I think the clamp was special order.

Colin, I agree the clamp doesnt work great for all exhausts - mine being one of them. But even though it reads lean at idle it read properly at WOT. I have a permanent install in my car and was able to test the accuracy at WOT. I've also run into 1 exhaust that I couldnt get it to clamp on to. We had that guy get a bung with a cap welded in before tuning his car.

If you could post pics of your homemade clamp, I'd like to see what you've got.

nother, thub, and evo8emperor, The LC1 is not portable, doesnt have a gauge and is not designed for the application were discussing. The LM2 is the replacement for the LM1 and I think it has some features from the Auxbox integrated into it.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 15, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

thanks, maybe i will try to find a lm1 from a vender since its proven to work. thanks for everything guys!!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 04:35 PM

hi guys!
how about this ... FAST EZ Clamp

im also looking for a way to put a wideband on the tail pipe
and found this in the net, i also want to see a homemade one

btw just bought a LM-2
Old Mar 2, 2009, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

If you are going to use a tailpipe sniffer on the street I would *HIGHLY* recommend using safety wire and wiring it tight onto the muffler somewhere.

All you need is it falling out and wrapping around an axle or flying into somebodies windshield to ruin your day.

I can't tell you how many times the tailpipe sniffer has fallen out of the tailpipe on the dyno, even with it cranked down tight.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

good advice, i will def make sure its secure.