Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love that big map. We need it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big map looks great, but I'm more interested in an official V7 release first ... it'll take a while for people to test the big map feature, and also to make sure nothing else was broken in the process ... so I'd rather see an official V7 release a.s.a.p., and then a point release for the big map feature and/or the big map feature integrated into a feature release, rather than further delaying an official V7 release due to feature creep.

Not that I'm not extremely grateful to all those involved doing the development and testing, because I am extremely grateful, but we have been waiting for an official V7 release for quite some time, and I'd like to see it actually released, so people can start using it, and so that there is a new and stable baseline for further development.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

Then probably 90550001 (otherwise cossie1 will cry )
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

Me likey, me likey very much If you need any additional testers please let me know. I've got a gaggle of Evo's here now I could test this on.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
Big map looks great, but I'm more interested in an official V7 release first ... it'll take a while for people to test the big map feature, and also to make sure nothing else was broken in the process ... so I'd rather see an official V7 release a.s.a.p.
"Big maps" have already gone through a test cycle on several cars, so the time has already been spent. The "final" version is already in the tester's hands now; assuming no problems have been introduced with the last bit of rearranging, that version will likely be the final release.

cossie: I'm curious, is there a significant hardware difference between the VII and the VIII that's keeping you on 9055? I'd assumed you would have an easy time upgrading to a VIII ROM?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic

cossie: I'm curious, is there a significant hardware difference between the VII and the VIII that's keeping you on 9055? I'd assumed you would have an easy time upgrading to a VIII ROM?

There is no big hardware difference between the VII and VIII ecu's (other than 3 and 4 plug versions), however in the past (when I first converted my Evo VI to run a VII ecu) I used several VII and VIII roms to find 1 that worked well.

With the VIII roms the car never ran "right" and there would be quite a few cel's that would appear due to various sensors not being connected.

So 90550001 was the best of the lot, and all cel's that did appear were easily fixed.

Now most of the guys around the world with an Evo IV, V or VI that fit a VII ecu use 90550001 rom's on them.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
Big map looks great, but I'm more interested in an official V7 release first ... it'll take a while for people to test the big map feature, and also to make sure nothing else was broken in the process ... so I'd rather see an official V7 release a.s.a.p., and then a point release for the big map feature and/or the big map feature integrated into a feature release, rather than further delaying an official V7 release due to feature creep.

Not that I'm not extremely grateful to all those involved doing the development and testing, because I am extremely grateful, but we have been waiting for an official V7 release for quite some time, and I'd like to see it actually released, so people can start using it, and so that there is a new and stable baseline for further development.

You're just gonna have to wait. This is a HUGE step for the community and its awesome he even added it to v7 at all so we should wait patiently for it. Its NOT gonna take long to confirm the big maps IMO.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Big maps" have already gone through a test cycle on several cars, so the time has already been spent. The "final" version is already in the tester's hands now; assuming no problems have been introduced with the last bit of rearranging, that version will likely be the final release.
I don't really see how it can break that many things. The two main issues are finding a contiguous range of memory big enough to store the map, and modifying any routines that do lookups against the table to use the correct range of addresses. He's also probably already got code he can recycle since he's relocated tables before (alt maps, for instance). Depending on how that happens in the code, that second part might even be pretty trivial. Not to take anything away from Tephra's work of course .
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So is "BIG MAP" an alt map feature or does it replace the main maps all together?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It expands the size of the primary and alternate fuel and timing tables to 25x30; both high and low octane.

(Under the hood, it relocates them to another part of the ROM, but the user-visible result is that the maps are now "bigger".)
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...the maps are now "bigger".)
TWICE as big actually I love it!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Coo, just saw the "alternate" title on the picture and was wondering if it was only on the alt maps.

I may have missed it in the other thread, but it's both high and low octane maps?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yup.. hi and low... unfortunately
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Man, I missed it in the post right above too. dee dee dee
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
88590715 Final sent to testers

Hopefully we will hear something back in the next day or so.

Quick Reply: TephraMOD V6 - testing!