Notices
ECU Flash

Links to jcsbanks' Speed Density patches

Old Mar 6, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Not using baro for now. The arguments either way vary, some (including AEM) think that you don't need it on a speed density system. Others think you do because the VE changes due to exhaust pressure. We are waiting for variable altitude drivers to test it. A baro sensor could be mounted in the engine bay and new compensation tables written if required. A more accurate load measurement may well be MAP/baro. OEM system is volume airflow*baro. It is quite complex, and it seems that many aftermarket ECUs and some OEM ECUs don't do baro comp well.

I think the best place for the temp sensor is the inlet manifold, followed by the UICP, followed by the air intake, followed by none at all which does work in some climates!
I can do that once i get it all setup here.

I have a feeling baro will be of some importance since o2 saturation in the atmosphere is not constant with altitude. So i have the distinct feeling its going to go slightly rich when getting to the upper limits of altitude.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It might do, I asked the engineer that has made the Solaris ECU what he thought, and he suggested the effect was minor. Another tuner who has tuned many different speed density ECUs over many years noted there was little AFR offset going from sea level to 6000ft in Madeira in 30 minutes - without using a baro sensor. He did find that the Subaru radiators were not good for coolant temps at altitude, although another matter that was of far more concern to him than any AFR offset. I was there two weeks ago, but as a tourist in a Chevrolet Matiz (previously Daewoo). What a shame to the Chevrolet name (I know it is just relabelled) that I always associate with V8s It had less than 50 BHP and you could drive full throttle for miles up the mountains including the turns in 2nd gear at 5000 RPM, it was so underpowered. I've not been able to hold full throttle like that for years in anything, quite a novelty to drive something so slow!

Last edited by jcsbanks; Mar 7, 2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
My problem is this: I want to use an AEM 3.5bar MAP sensor for my SD setup using 90550001. I was searching through the ROM code trying to find the voltage scaling for the oem 3.5bar as Mrfred describes in his patch thread and don't see it anywhere. I thought this scaling was necessary for the ECU to interpret the voltage signal and convert it to a correct pressure reading but maybe I am not understanding something. So how is it working with the 90550001 and what do I need to do to get it to work with the AEM sensor?.
It seems that if there is no MDP sensor as stock you don't have anything to do except plug it in and log (you set the scaling in your logger, the ECU just gives you the raw value). If there is an MDP sensor and EGR, you have things to fix.

The only model before the X that has a 3 bar map sensor is the JDM IX. This is only used for a lift off rich condition prevention (which clearly doesn't work with a MAF and the stock metal recirc valve because it jerks on lift off).
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsbanks
It seems that if there is no MDP sensor as stock you don't have anything to do except plug it in and log (you set the scaling in your logger, the ECU just gives you the raw value). If there is an MDP sensor and EGR, you have things to fix.

The only model before the X that has a 3 bar map sensor is the JDM IX. This is only used for a lift off rich condition prevention (which clearly doesn't work with a MAF and the stock metal recirc valve because it jerks on lift off).
Okay, I get it now. I thought the sd 90550001 was patched for the MAP sensor.

Last edited by wreckleford; Mar 8, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need EVO 9 ECU pins in order to do the IAT mod. Where can I get this aside from sending a PM to Jack_Trades?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by supersnow
I need EVO 9 ECU pins in order to do the IAT mod. Where can I get this aside from sending a PM to Jack_Trades?

Thanks!
That's it unless anyone has some spares that they bought from Jack_of_Trades.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

good stuff mrfred

Last edited by bnice01; Mar 11, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Quick question for rom 94170015 the scaling for "SD MAT Scaling for IAT Scaling Table" is it suppose to TempScale or TempScaleFuel. I have TempScaleFuel from the IAT patch but no option for TempScale.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bnice01
Quick question for rom 94170015 the scaling for "SD MAT Scaling for IAT Scaling Table" is it suppose to TempScale or TempScaleFuel. I have TempScaleFuel from the IAT patch but no option for TempScale.
TempScale should already be in the evo7base.xml file.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

weird its not there in the evo7base, can you help a brotha out and post up the script for it.

thanks again mrfred

Last edited by bnice01; Mar 14, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
You'll want to drive the car around for a few days with the MAF still installed to generate baro+air temp corrected load vs MAP and RPM data. Instructions on how to do this will given in the next post.
just wondering how those instructions are going.

Originally Posted by bnice01
weird its not there in the evo7base, can you help a brotha out and post up the script for it.
i seem to have the same issue with the temp scaling as well.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 15, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by japanevo
just wondering how those instructions are going.

No chance to work on it yet. I've only got access to my laptop for a few hours a day right for the next couple weeks, and I've had to spend most of it doing stuff for my real job. That shouldn't stop you from diving in though because I think the basic concept of how to do tune it has been discussed enough in the "SD - First Success" thread.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

just started reading through the SD first test post and still have a long way to go, so i am hoping this isnt adressed there but. i was looking at the rom in ecuflash and something doesnt look right. four maps show "xxxx" and looks like random data.
Attached Thumbnails Links to jcsbanks' Speed Density patches-90550001.jpg  
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
No chance to work on it yet. I've only got access to my laptop for a few hours a day right for the next couple weeks, and I've had to spend most of it doing stuff for my real job. That shouldn't stop you from diving in though because I think the basic concept of how to do tune it has been discussed enough in the "SD - First Success" thread.
Yeah I agree, I know the thread is long but it is VERY helpful.

I got my car pretty much dail-in about a few hours and that is with installing the IAT sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Links to jcsbanks' Speed Density patches