Notices
ECU Flash

basic ecuflash upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
basic ecuflash upgrade question

If you upgrade ecuflash, will that wipe out your definition files with new default ones?

I seem to have created some chaos of definition files between the 3 computers I have (had, 2 now) and the various iterations of definition files on them.

Now that I am working on the rear 02 sim patch and heater fix from mrfred, I think I tanked my core ecuflash definition file that had all my ecu boost control, and JDMMAP add ons in it. Since I did that stuff last summer I'm struggling with what means what.

Last edited by fireroasted; Mar 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
when u install a new ecuflash version it creates backup directories inside the main directory.

backup001 -> 004 etc.. that should contain old def xml's
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks tephra, I saw those directories. The backup001 was always empty, but the 02 and 03 had data. Just not the tables in there I was expecting, but I could just be not remembering well enough from the last flashes I did.

I tried out a track only netbook for logging and ecuflash. Awesome until I lost control of how many places I had ecuflash installed and which laptop had the latest defs.

I suspect my best bet is to use the latest 4.1 and rebuild the ecu boost control, JDMMAP, add ins to that def file be rereading the posts (which is something I can always use).

Is there an issue with using a def file (not the base file, but the 15 file) from an older version of ecuflash, like my 1.35 def file and replacing the default 1.41 with it entirely?

M
Old Mar 4, 2009, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what version of ecuflash are you using and what operating system? I tried the latest version of ecuflash (1.41) and I had problems. I am stuck with version 1.35 and it works great. One thing that you can do is backup the .xml file, that is what I do, I had to reformat my computer one time and I am glad I had a backup since I done a lot of mods to the .xml file I use.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Last night to make some progress finally on the 02 heater CEL fix I just used the 1.41 I upgraded on my newerish laptop. I copy and pasted the tables from previous def files the best I could identify the stuff I added. I am pretty sure I missed stuff though, but I had to move forward.

Getting into good practice of managing the Def files is key. Something I should write up in a basics for ECUFlash post. organizing those files could save you lots of hours later on if something happens or you get too many computers and files going like me.

The interesting thing I learned last night is that the 1.41 version 15 def file has lots more tables in it than the 1.35. That had me thinking of what the completely correct method to upgrade actually is. Do you always have to manually rebuild your def files when you upgrade? If the new default file has additional table, then you can't just copy over the default with your old customized one.

Once I get that concept nailed, or input from gurus, (who have dealt with that a zillion times already) I will write a small ecuflash heads up to link to the already existing ecuflash basics posts.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mbartel
Do you always have to manually rebuild your def files when you upgrade? If the new default file has additional table, then you can't just copy over the default with your old customized one.

Once I get that concept nailed, or input from gurus, (who have dealt with that a zillion times already) I will write a small ecuflash heads up to link to the already existing ecuflash basics posts.
If you organize your original .xml file with your added tables at the bottom, maybe separated with a comment line, then when you upgrade to a new ECUFlash with more tables by default, then all you have to do is paste in your added tables at the bottom of the new XML.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Makes sense. Now anyway. I suspect all of you that regularly and skillfully use ecuflash do this.

I created a 'for dummies' or basics post summarizing the file mechanism linked below in case beginners might find it helpful.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post6769091

M
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
EvoM Community Team

Pro-Tip: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6737501-post9.html